Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Misfits

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Misfits

Seen the kiddies in their Misfits jackets. Heard about 'em for close to 20 years. Listening to them for the first time. This is much better than I expected. Halfway through disc one from the box set and I like it... even in it's shoddy glory. If it all goes down hill from here, I'm still surprised how much I like this. Danzig sounds a little like Dave Vanian from the Damned at times. Do I need to get a leather skull jacket now?

....okay, a little of this goes a long way!

Last edited by atlantamoi; 04-19-05 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, just head down to your local Spencer's at the mall and they've got just about as much merchandise now as Kiss does....

Original Misfits is classic stuff though.

SOOOO many good songs. I've got a bunch of their "unofficial" live recordings and imagine how bad the quality is on those. It doesn't matter though, the songs always shine through. Pure horror-punk goodness.

Hybrid Moments
Hatebreeders...

Last edited by woofman; 04-19-05 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Danzig actually wrote a song for Dave Vavian back in the day ("Archangel" but wasn't used and Glenn recorded it for Samhain).

The original Misfits (mainly Danzig since he wrote all the songs and over-dubbed himself playing most of the instruments) are exceptional and one of my favorite bands. The boxed set gets better and better. Hybrid Moments is a perfect song and Glenn's voice is almost angelic. He isn't given enough credit as a song-writer, in my opinion. Those early Misfits songs are as catchy as some Beach Boys or 50/60s girl group songs. I could go on and on, but.......
Old 04-19-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

don't waste time with the merch. Original stuff is worth collecting, but that's a whole different animal.
Old 04-19-05, 07:51 PM

I'm pretty sure two of their classics... Bullet and Last Caress aren't even included in the box set. I do own the box... along with all of the original CDs, but I think those two are missing from the box. I'm a huge Misfits fan... check out the tattoo...

and this is me last Halloween...

Old 04-19-05, 08:57 PM

my favorite band i just love them. The Danzig era it's the best and unlike alot of people, i like the newer stuff too, some pretty good songs in there.

i even get them to be at my Graduation ceremony because i made a part of the graduation video with Hybrid Moments in the background. That was cool

i'll finally get to see them live in a couple of months (first time they come to Venezuela), even thou i think it's the Only-and guests version but hey i get to see Jerry wooooo

great costume Neuman
Old 04-19-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neuman
I'm pretty sure two of their classics... Bullet and Last Caress aren't even included in the box set.
Bullet is track # 14 on disc 4.

Last Caress is track #5 on disc 4.
Old 04-19-05, 09:30 PM

I'm pretty sure two of their classics... Bullet and Last Caress aren't even included in the box set. I do own the box... along with all of the original CDs, but I think those two are missing from the box. I'm a huge Misfits fan... check out the tattoo...
and this is me last Halloween...
With a tattoo/costume as awesome as that, come to Chicago and you'll get laid by some hot 18 year old Colubmia student in 20 minutes!

I kind of forgot how good The Misfits are/were. The two discs I had got stolen back when I was like 15, and I never bothered getting replacements. Late last month when I saw Slint all they played between bands were the same two discs I had (Collection 1 &2) and I started feeling a bit nostalgic. "Halloween 2" is still a pretty freaky song to this day.
Old 04-20-05, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Bullet is track # 14 on disc 4.

Last Caress is track #5 on disc 4.
Shit, you're right.

I actually I think I was confusing the box set with Collections 1 & 2, which are suppose to be definitive collections, but lack those two songs.
Old 04-20-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Misfits music is great, it sucks to see theyve become such a fashion for poseurs but whatever, the music is what matters and its classic. i just wish Danzig would be able to get this tour off the ground with special guest Doyle playing the Misfits set. at least be able to get it out of california.

i wish Metallica, who at least seem like huge fans of The Misfits, at least they used to have a Misfits shirt on in every old interview and even the new documentary, would throw some big bucks at Glenn and give Misfits an opening slot on one of their tours. i know if i was a billionaire like metallica, i would throw huge money to get to see one of my fave bands every night.

i know in a perfect world a Misfits reunion would sell out stadiums, but even a full scale Misfits reunion wouldnt play to many people. large clubs, half arenas at best. hardly the money that could Glenn to loosen up his hard stance. Metallica money on the other hand, especially since he cant seem to get a tour going anymore, might be nice for retirement. i think hes 50 now.

screw it, im only dreaming.
Old 04-20-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, is Danzig solo pretty much heavy metal? I know plenty of bands from the early 80's drifted from some yummy punk to boring as hell metal (sorry, not a metal fan). A band like TSOL started off amazingly good and went that route. I never really thought about investigating the Misfits because of what I *saw* with Danzig.
Old 04-20-05, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
So, is Danzig solo pretty much heavy metal? I know plenty of bands from the early 80's drifted from some yummy punk to boring as hell metal (sorry, not a metal fan). A band like TSOL started off amazingly good and went that route. I never really thought about investigating the Misfits because of what I *saw* with Danzig.
The first 3 Danzig releases are sort of a bluesy hard rock, not really metal, but they do have their heavier moments. After that it varies, industrial rock, metal(ish) etc.. I would just stick with the first two or three and then venture on if you really like them, but those are the best IMO.
Old 04-20-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I have all of his solo stuff except for 3, Geiger cover feat Dirty Black Summer, and Black Aria. Black Aria is (according to AMG) a quasi-operatic attempt at classical instrumentals depicting the fall of Satan from heaven. I love the original Misfits, I need to rebuy the box set, I never really listened to Samhain - and I do not know why maybe I will go buy some and finally try.
Old 04-20-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd just like to interject that "Hollywood Babylon" was my swimming team's theme song in high school. Ah, Misfits, how they bring me back.
Old 04-20-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
The first two Danzig albums (and best two) are ostensibly "metal," sort of in the mold of early Black Sabbath with a little AC/DC style ballsy hard rock tossed into the mix, ie, lots of big, hard bluesy guitar riffs.

It's a lot like a more refined version of Samhain. (Actually, from what I recall, Rick Rubin had signed Samhain, and the band later changed its name to Danzig before the first Def American release.)
Old 04-20-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Misfits - Glenn Danzig = No Sale!

Yeah that coffin boxset is essential listening.
98.3% of the songs are classics, I could listen to it all day.
Old 04-20-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Shit, you're right.

I actually I think I was confusing the box set with Collections 1 & 2, which are suppose to be definitive collections, but lack those two songs.
Sorry man, but those two songs are on the collection CDs too ("Bullet" on the first set, "Last Caress" on the second)

The only thing that the box set is really missing are the recordings from the Walk Among US LP (which wasn't released by Plan 9, so its because of rights issues). But the songs do appear on the box set in alternate versions (different takes, live, etc)

The original Misfits were an amazing band. Impossibly catchy songs, with cool horror movie lyrics. Wish I had a chance to see them back in the day. The best I can do is watch a terrible quality bootleg video I have, recorded at one of their concerts around 1982-3.
Old 04-20-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the boxed set also doesn't have the unreleased "In the Doorway" which is on the static age cd (the one that was sold apart from the boxed set)
Old 04-20-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It's a lot like a more refined version of Samhain. (Actually, from what I recall, Rick Rubin had signed Samhain, and the band later changed its name to Danzig before the first Def American release.)
That's true, the original Danzig lineup was basically Samhain (with added drummer Chuck Biscuit). Danzig bassist Eerie Von and guitarist John Christ were both in Samhain (John joined just before the name change, he appears on Samhain's "Final Descent" album. Eerie was in Samhain since the beginning)
Old 04-20-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw Social Distortion live in 1989 and I thought I was WAAAAY behind the times at that point. Imagine how I feel seeing how many of you guys are into the Misfits.
Old 04-20-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
the boxed set also doesn't have the unreleased "In the Doorway" which is on the static age cd (the one that was sold apart from the boxed set)
Ah that's right, I forgot about that song. I didn't want to buy Static Age just for the one song though.
Old 04-20-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Ah that's right, I forgot about that song. I didn't want to buy Static Age just for the one song though.

I downloaded it off Kazaa years ago. It's pretty catchy and quite good. I can email it if you want.
Old 04-20-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
This is perhaps sad, but I rather enjoy the 'new' Misfits albums as well. Obviously they 'sound' better due to a better master, but they're quite fun and catchy while suitable creepy in some cases. Perhaps they're not as 'punk' as the original 'fits catalog, but hey, I know what I like.
Old 04-20-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the new tracks are pretty good but I consider them a different band altogether. a friend of mine lived with Dr. Chud for a while, so I was forced to hear the new stuff. Graves had a great voice. While you can't have true Misfits w/o Danzig, the stuff without him was beyond decent.
Old 04-20-05, 08:43 PM

This thread really takes me back. While in Jr. High & High School (late 80's-early 90's) my friends and I would live to discover new Misfits songs. This was the time when their releases were still just coming out on CD. The best part was coming across a "questionable" album that had unreleased songs on it. "Return of the Fly" anyone, or how about that original version of "she" with keyboards instead of guitar! Or the live LP's and 45's with the classic artwork. If I can dig them out sometime I should try to post pictures of some ofthe records I still have packed up somewhere. And don't even get me started on the vintage posters....

Last edited by woofman; 04-20-05 at 08:47 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.