Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Matthews Band: Stand up

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dave Matthews Band: Stand up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 09:35 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm digging the album after a few spins.

Hunger for the Great Light and Hello Again are my favorite tracks thus far.
Old 05-13-05, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF Stand up DD not playing in itunes

Why the hell won't my Mac recognize the cd side of the Stand Up DD? Do I have to buy the CD and download it from the itunes music store? I've read all the posts above, but they all apply to PCs. Can some one explain to me or post a link to an explanation? I see no mentions of this issue on dave's site, the warehouse or on itunes. Pardon me if I'm missing something.
Old 05-13-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Compatibility issues with DD seem to be worse with Macs, from what I've seen. I've got a Mac, and DD had given me nothing but grief so far.
Old 05-13-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't have any problems ripping either the DD version of the CD, nor the Warehouse bonus cd... Great cd, only gets me more anxious to see his show at the Gorge this summer!
Old 05-13-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Compatibility issues with DD seem to be worse with Macs, from what I've seen. I've got a Mac, and DD had given me nothing but grief so far.
I think the problem is the Mac...
Old 05-13-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
OK. Here is The Bus's one and only guide to ripping any CD that plays on a CD player. No level of copy protection (at least in Windows XP and prior) will prevent you from ripping your own music, which is allowed.

1. Disable the Auto-Run feature on your CD/DVD-ROM.
2. Turn off your computer.
3. Slide a paperclip into the small hole on the front of your CD/DVD-ROM. The tray will open.
4. Put in your CD.
5. Turn on the computer.
6. Once you're at the Windows XP desktop, use EAC to rip.
7. Done.

DRM never even comes up.
Old 05-13-05, 10:35 AM

That works as long as you haven't put the cd in before.
Old 05-13-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THis is a bunch of crap. Never buying a CD from these fucks again.
Old 05-13-05, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by chanster
THis is a bunch of crap. Never buying a CD from these fucks again.
copy-protection, dualdisc, or the music?
Old 05-13-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm digging the album after a few spins.

Hunger for the Great Light and Hello Again are my favorite tracks thus far.
I wish I could say the same. Musically, they've tried some interesting sounds that could really work. But, to me, one of three things happens:

1. They repeat the same chords over and over and over again. This happens on a lot of the tracks. I think I'm going to like the song after the first 30 seconds, but they can't keep the momentum going, and I'm bored.
2. Daves lyrics are ridiculously bad, thus ruining the song for me. See the song "Stand Up".
3. The track is over-produced. "Hello Again", which is probably my favorite song on the record, is an example of this.
Old 05-13-05, 11:41 AM

I'm glad these songs translate well live so far. They blended in well with the old stuff in the setlist.
Old 05-13-05, 02:21 PM

For anyone who's interested. It appears Macs with slot drives (such as the iMac or MacMinis) have difficulties with the CD side of the DualDisc. The DD is thicker than the standardCD so it can't be read by some players (like slot drives). Macs with disc tray loaders seem to be OK, that's why it works for some Macs owners (with towers and some laptops). I haven't tried this yet, but will soon. So it appears to be a hardware issue rather than a copyright protection issue (Whew!). But I won't know for sure until I test it on my G5 tower at work next week.
Old 05-13-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
In addition to what Josh said, isn't it "legal" to rip a copy for our own personal use?
Yes, you can, so you two raise a good point. But my understanding is this DRM actually gives you FIVE licenses as opposed to the common ONE. They're allowing you to have essentially 5 different copies which could play on 5 different devices. So in actuality, it's quite a liberal license.

The program it has details the compatibility issues with IPod, and it sounds like basically Apple and the DRM company have some problems with one another. At the very least, the CDs could contain some sort of warning on them letting people know that BEFORE they buy.

Most artists won't lend themselves to this problem, because if fans only want digital copies of the songs, they can simply buy/download from ITunes or Napster, and play it wherever they want. Apparently DMB does not allow that I guess?
Old 05-13-05, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
Apparently DMB does not allow that I guess?
Stand Up is DMB's first album on iTunes, and the rest of their catalog is supposed to be added soon. I'm guessing the DRM was RCA's call, possibly to make a leak harder.

Just got my pre-order package in the mail. I'm digging the b-side/live Warehouse bonus disc more than the actual cd.
Old 05-18-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So here's my tale: I was out for lunch one day and needed a few things from the grocery store. Wal-Mart was the closest, so I just stopped there. They had a CD display right as you walk in and DMB was $9.72, so I bought it. When I got home, I opened up iTunes and put in the CD. It ripped to the harddrive, no problems and no issues. Listened to it on my iPod this morning and searched out this thread to read other people's thoughts.

Now hearing about all the problems people were having with the protection, what exactly did I do right without even knowing?

And should I be doing a 24 hour system restore to remove something it may of installed?
Old 05-18-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I'm concerned this is the worst CD DMB has ever produced. I've listened to it 4 times and can only get into a few of the songs. Stand Up is the most ridiculous song I've ever heard. How many times can you say the same thing on one song. Yuk. The lyrics are boring, the musis is way too pop/over produced, and THE BAND is barely audible in the background. I want to hear all of the instruments and instead all I hear is over produced pop music. His Everyday CD was headed in this direction but not nearly this bad.

The only songs I'm remotely interested in is Dreamgirl, American Baby, and Smooth Rider. The best song by far is Loiusiana Bayou - that's the kind of upbeat kind of song I was looking forward too.

Just my 2 cents but if they keep going in this direction I'll just skip the studio CDs and stick to downloading his live concerts. Too bad really cause this was? is my favorite band.
Old 05-19-05, 11:08 AM
Retired

I dig the CD, but I agree, it's probably my least favortie album of his. Still better than most stuff by most other bands, but not on par with their other albums.

I really like Dream Girl, American Baby, Everybody Wake UP, Hello Again and Hunger for the Great Light. Only problem is those are all good to very good songs. The album lacks any great songs IMO.

But it's still a good listen.
Old 05-19-05, 01:24 PM

I still think that Joyride is better than most of the songs that made the cut.
Old 05-19-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
I think "Everybody Wake Up" is my fav. Overall a mellow, but good album.
Old 05-20-05, 10:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DMB = Mediocrity.

They say timing is everything and these guys came along when the music industry was inundated with so much bad music.

Billy Joel once said (to paraphrase) With the music industry releasing so much crappy music, it makes the mediocre music seem extraordinary.
Old 05-21-05, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
DMB = Mediocrity.

They say timing is everything and these guys came along when the music industry was inundated with so much bad music.

Billy Joel once said (to paraphrase) With the music industry releasing so much crappy music, it makes the mediocre music seem extraordinary.
Which is why they've been touring for 15 solid years and are sounding better than ever live
Old 05-21-05, 10:24 AM
Retired

Indeed , their first three albums and The Lillywhite Sessions/Busted Stuff are great, Everyday is good and Stand Up is Mediocre.

But they're far from a medicore band based on their catalog, and they're one of the best live bands ever IMO.
Old 05-22-05, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Indeed , their first three albums and The Lillywhite Sessions/Busted Stuff are great, Everyday is good and Stand Up is Mediocre.

But they're far from a medicore band based on their catalog, and they're one of the best live bands ever IMO.

I agree for the most part. In my opinion, though, Stand Up is better than Everyday. SU has grown on me a lot since the first few listens. I've gotten past the "this doesn't sound like the DMB I know" phase and just enjoyed it. It's definately hit or miss in places, though. Some of the lyrics are horrible, but parts like the beginning of Everybody Wake Up are just great.

And to vegasbaby, I'd love to hear what your idea of a "good" band is. I would take live DMB over literally anything else.
Old 05-22-05, 08:29 AM

The whole comment about not being able to hear "THE BAND" is a crock of shit. Are you actually listening to the CD or just wanting something to bitch about? No, this CD is no where near as good as BTCS or UTTAD, but it is still a pretty good CD and while it doesn't sound like the normal DMB music, you can definitely tell it is DMB. I think this CD is far superior to Everyday and possibly even Busted Stuff. Yes, it does have a slight pop feel to it, but reserve judgements on the songs until you hear them live. The songs may be short and don't have a lot of jamming out on them, but with the except of "Out of My Hands" they have a lot of energy and that is what was missing from Everyday. Everyday was extremely overproduced in my opinion and it was extremely obvious that Glenn Ballard created a CD for Dave Matthews and turn the rest of the band into session players. I don't think this is the case with Stand Up.

I could do without some of the group vocals, clapping and the a lot of the looping that takes place, but if you just listen to the music it is pretty good. I think Mark Batson added a lot on the beat and bass side of it for Carter and Stefan, and to be honest I would like to see them work with him again. I think they should bring Steve Lillywhite back to co-produce with Mark because I still feel the band's darker songs are their best and I believe Lillywhite gets the best lyrics out of Dave.

I am still upset that Trouble with You, Joyride, Crazy Easy, Sugar Will, Good Good Time, Butterfly and Glory Glory did not make it onto the CD, but hopefully they will get back into the studio soon since they have so much material now. Once I got over the exclusion of Sugar Will, Joyride and Crazy Easy I realized how good of a CD this actually is.

Just wait until the boys get use to playing them live and they will start jamming out on them. Just look at WYA and FTT from Everyday.
Old 05-23-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The whole comment about not being able to hear "THE BAND" is a crock of shit. Are you actually listening to the CD or just wanting something to bitch about?"

I guess you don't listen to their other CDs then. Whatever. the fact remains they've catered to the most common denominator - i.e. pop and the Band have been pushed to the background, if heard at all. It's too bad really. That's not to say that their are a few songs that show of the band like they should be. But if you're saying the Band is present just like their other CDs you need to take another listen, plain and simple.

"Yes, it does have a slight pop feel to it, but reserve judgements on the songs until you hear them live."

I thought the title of the thread is Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up not DMB Stand Up Live - which would be a whole different discussion - try to stay on topic. There's now doubt the songs are going to sound different live, we're not talking about that though are we.

Just because people are being critical doesn't mean you have to be critical of someone's comment. I'm a huge fan of DMB or DM himself, that doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

But again - that's just my 2 cents - Can't wait to see 'em live!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.