Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GIGANTOUR: Megadeth and Dream Theater co-headlining tour!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GIGANTOUR: Megadeth and Dream Theater co-headlining tour!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
An interview with Jordan of DT, also on Chicago Sun Times:

Jim DeRogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times recently conducted an interview with DREAM THEATER keyboardist Jordan Rudess. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On the group's distinctive mix of heavy-metal intensity and progressive-rock virtuosity:

"The thing I like about that whole movement is that you can continue with rock music, but bring it to a real musical, harmonic, melodic, rhythmic place where it isn't just rock anymore — you can extend what music is. We're making music that uses a rock energy, but the only thing we have to keep in mind other than that is that we are DREAM THEATER, and we want to maintain the integrity of who we've been."

On joining DREAM THEATER in 1999 after playing with John Petrucci (guitar), Mike Portnoy (drums)and prog legend Tony Levin in a side project called the LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT:

"I had done two albums with the LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT, and both were interesting compared to DREAM THEATER, because with those we didn't have the window or the parameters of what DREAM THEATER is. That was really fun for me to add quirky riffs and spacey things, but right after the second LIQUID TENSION album, I went into the studio with DREAM THEATER, and there were really a lot of differences, although it was most of the same guys.

"It was a little hard for me at first: I remember coming in with a ton of ideas, and I wanted to present them all, and they wanted to hear them, but at the same time, they almost didn't want to hear them. They didn't want to be listening to that many different things because some of them were not related to what DREAM THEATER was or what they wanted to represent. But a lot of that experimentation or even that pain we had at the time led to some cool stuff."

On the band's eighth studio album, "Octavarium":

"We had just come off of making [2003's] 'Train of Thought', which was a very heavy album. At first I was like, 'What am I going to do?' But what I ended up doing was having a really great time recreating a sonic world and making these grungy, distorted, heavy things bigger than life.

"For this album, we decided to go back to something that was more like a DREAM THEATER album: We called upon our different influences and stylistic backgrounds and created something that is more true to who we are as people. That involved searching within ourselves personally, but also finding out what our common ground is.

"Everybody brings something to the table, and we don't pretend not to have other influences. For instance, with the big title track — which I'm very proud of and think is one of DREAM THEATER's best compositions — I dug pretty deep into my background in GENESIS and YES and wanted to bring some of those flavors forward."

On the song "Sacrificed Sons", which is said to be an emotional contemplation of the horrors of 9/11 by a group of New Yorkers who felt a real connection to those events:

"All of the guys love to take serious topics and go for it; we're not writing a whole lot of love songs. With 'Sacrificed Sons', we had some sensitivity there about how we'd present it. I remember there was a lot of discussion about the kind of words that would be used and how direct we wanted to be."
Old 08-21-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
The Montreal Gigantour concert on Sept 2 will be filmed and recorded for an upcoming Gigantour DVD and Gigantour CD!

MEGADETH.com
Old 08-21-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The whole show or just Megadeth? I'd love to get DT's performance.
Old 08-21-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The whole show or just Megadeth? I'd love to get DT's performance.
prob-ly 2/3 tracks from each group, or something like that... I WANT A COMPLETE MEGADETH SHOW, don't care about the rest.
Old 08-21-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That sucks. At least DT releases bootlegs of their shows so there is a chance DT fans will see a release of a complete performance that way.
Old 08-28-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New York Post 8/21/05

DETH TRIP - SPEED METAL HERO DAVE MUSTAINE WINS MAINSTREAM RESPECT WITH GIGANTOUR

MEGADETH founder, vocalist and guitarist Dave Mustaine is largely credited with ushering in the early-1980s speed-metal movement, adding an element of musical artistry to a genre that lacked it.

Despite this, Megadeth has never enjoyed the same level of widespread success as Mustaine's former band, Metallica.

But with his newly minted Gigantour festival hitting Jones Beach on Tuesday and PNC Bank Arts Center on Wednesday, Mustaine is making a bid for mainstream respect.

The festival was born out of his 2002 bout with radial neuropathy, which led to severe nerve damage in his left arm. Mustaine saw the Gigantour as something to work on if he couldn't play guitar anymore.

"I thought it would be cool to host a festival and be an emcee, kind of an elder statesmen for this metal scene," Mustaine says.

But when rehabilitation kicked in and his arm healed, Mustaine put Gigantour on the back burner to record a new album and mount a sold-out tour to support it. So it wasn't until earlier this year that he revisited the Gigantour idea.

To distinguish it from the rest of the summer music fests, Mustaine picked nine bands - including Dream Theater, Fear Factory and the Dillinger Escape Plan - known more for musicianship than star power, something that's important to both Mustaine and his legion of discerning metal fans.

"A lot of the metal that's out right now is disappointing for me," he says. "Some of the songs are really good, and right when you think there should be a guitar solo, there's none because there's no guitar player in the band - they're just strumming open chords or de-tuning the guitar.

"Take away the people in my generation, are there any guitar heroes? I think not," Mustaine adds.

While Mustaine is a fretboard hero to many a fan, that doesn't mean he's adopted a lofty position.

"I was brought up poor," says Mustaine. "My mom and dad got divorced when I was 4, so it was food stamps and hand-me-down clothes when I was in California.

"When I started Megadeth, I was actually homeless for a while. I can look out at our friends in the audience that truggle to get money to buy tickets and I can say, 'I've been there. I've been successful, but my heart is right alongside you.' "

This everyman sensibility, combined with songs about hardship, heartbreak and political confusion, is what makes Megadeth so popular with its hard-core fan base. It also helps that Mustaine has resisted the overblown posturing that defines the current metal scene.

"When I get up on stage, I don't roll my eyes up in my sockets and throw devil signs at people," says Mustaine. "I don't talk a lot because people pay to hear me play.

"I've seen enough people, where they're like, 'Oh, by the way, I'm going to break into a spoken-word segment.'

"Shut up!"

MEGADETH.com
Old 08-28-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mustaine Says GIGANTOUR Is Doing 'Better Than Expected'
Aug. 27, 2005

Dave Mustaine recently spoke to Aaron Yoxheimer of The Morning Call about Gigantour , the six-week festival trek co-headlined by MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER . Several excerpts from the chat follow:

On the need for another traveling metal festival, which arrives in Reading, PA today:

"I wouldn't compare this to those other festivals [such as Ozzfest , Sounds of the Underground ]. I'd compare it to something a little more old-fashioned and not based so much on being sponsored by alcohol companies and a lot of things that these other festivals have associated with them.

"I'm not taking a dig at those other festivals, 'but if you go back to things like Monsters of Rock , the California Jam , or Clash of the Titans , they were real festivals, not a flea market with bands playing in between. Ticket prices are low [$20-$40 on average], and the bands are playing for nominal fees, so it's truly about the love of music.

"It would be great if we had Clear Channel or some huge corporate sponsor dumping millions of bucks into this, so we could make the tickets be even more affordable and maybe get more popular bands, but I wanted to do things in an honorable way, without compromising the fans' or my own integrity."

On ticket sale figures posted on the Internet, which show that the tour has barely filled venues to half-capacity in most markets:

"We were looking in the beginning to play to 3,000 to 5,000 people a marketplace, but unfortunately some of the buildings able to hold those numbers weren't there. ... There was nothing else available except for much larger places. So it's really easy to say that this thing isn't selling when you walk into a large venue and see a really small amount of people in proportion to its size.

"But we know that's not the case. We know that this is doing better than we expected. In fact, I just received word from our agency that they believe in this and we're already talking about next year.

"I've been pretty aware of what I do business-wise and I think every right decision I make makes it easier for young musicians that come after me. So I have a duty do the right thing, not only to myself and to my family, but to my successors as well. I have had [negative] experiences [on] other tours, but there was never anything that occurred that made me hate the people I was touring or working with. Even the MÖTLEY CRÜE tour [the 2000 Maximum Rock tour] - which I really loathed - I don't hate the members, I just hated the tour."

On his detractors:

''It's easy to talk badly about someone when you don't know them. A lot of people think I'm unapproachable, but all you have to do is go to our web site and see how much interaction I have with our fans. And believe it or not, when I'm out in public and not on stage with a guitar and a microphone, I'm really pretty shy. I really have a hard time taking compliments because of that. Another thing is that sometimes when people ask me for something I say no because it's just not something I do."

On a recent visit to Pittsburgh, where a woman asked him to sign her breasts. When he declined, she cursed at him:

"I'm there thinking, 'First off, I'm married, and second of all, even if you were hot, it wouldn't happen. You've obviously got no mirrors in your house if you think you can just walk up to somebody and say, 'Sign my [breasts]."

MEGADETH.com
Old 08-28-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i whsh they did more dates! as they never came anywhere near baltimore or DC. I really wanted to see dream theater.
Old 09-21-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Billboard magazine has released the attendance figures for several more stops on this summer's Gigantour festival trek, which featured MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER in the co-headlining slots, alongside FEAR FACTORY , NEVERMORE , LIFE OF AGONY and SYMPHONY X , among others. The following is a complete list of the the attendance figures for Gigantour available so far (includes previously reported figures):

Artist/Event : Gigantour: MEGADETH, DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRY KILL LOGIC, BOBAFLEX
Venue : Bell Centre
City/State : Montreal, Quebec
Date : Sept. 2, 2005
Attendance : 7,796
Capacity : 8,500

Artist/Event : Gigantour: MEGADETH, DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRY KILL LOGIC, BOBAFLEX
Venue : Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
City/State : Darien Center, N.Y.
Date : Aug. 30, 2005
Attendance : 2,522
Capacity : 6,302

Venue : House of Blues
City/State : Atlantic City, N.J.
Date : Aug. 28, 2005
Attendance : 1,186
Capacity : 2,380

Venue : Sovereign Center
City/State : Reading, Pa.
Date : Aug. 27, 2005
Attendance : 2,364
Capacity : 5,920

Venue : Bank of America Pavilion
City/State : Boston, Mass.
Date : Aug. 26, 2005
Attendance : 3,164
Capacity : 5,135

Venue : PNC Bank Arts Center
City/State : Holmdel, N.J.
Date : Aug. 24, 2005
Attendance : 5,989
Capacity : 17,000

Venue : Tommy Hilfiger at Jones Beach Theater
City/State : Wantagh, N.Y.
Date : Aug. 23, 2005
Attendance : 5,122
Capacity : 9,616

Venue : Verizon Wireless Arena
City/State : Manchester, N.H.
Date : Aug. 20, 2005
Attendance : 2,703
Capacity : 5,403

Venue : Cumberland County Civic Center
City/State : Portland, Maine
Date : Aug. 19, 2005
Attendance : 2,576
Capacity : 7,000

Venue : Chevrolet Amphitheatre at Station Square
City/State : Pittsburgh, Pa.
Date : Aug. 17, 2005
Attendance : 2,943
Capacity : 5,006

Venue : Tower City Amphitheater
City/State : Cleveland, Ohio
Date : Aug. 14, 2005
Attendance : 2,861
Capacity : 5,000

Venue : Tweeter Center
City/State : Tinley Park, Ill.
Date : Aug. 12, 2005
Attendance : 5,689
Capacity : 11,525

Venue : Allen County War Memorial Coliseum
City/State : Fort Wayne, Ind.
Date : Aug. 11, 2005
Attendance : 1,623
Capacity : 7,100

Venue : DTE Energy Music Center
City/State : Clarkston, Mich.
Date : Aug. 10, 2005
Attendance : 3,381
Capacity : 11,500

Venue : Sound Advice Amphitheatre
City/State : West Palm Beach, Fla.
Date : Aug. 7, 2005
Attendance : 3,540
Capacity : 19,476

Venue : Hard Rock Live
City/State : Orlando, Fla.
Date : Aug. 6, 2005
Attendance : 2,990
Capacity : 2,990

Venue : NOKIA Theatre
City/State : Grand Prairie, Texas
Date : Aug. 2, 2005
Attendance : 2,426
Capacity : 3,537

Venue : Journal Pavilion
City/State : Albuquerque, N.M.
Date : July 30, 2005
Attendance : 6,732
Capacity : 12,121

Venue : Open Air Theatre
City/State : San Diego, Calif.
Date : July 28, 2005
Attendance : 2,228
Capacity : 4,598

Venue : Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
City/State : Irvine, Calif.
Date : July 24, 2005
Attendance : 5,715
Capacity : 15,977

Venue : Cricket Pavilion
City/State : Phoenix, Ariz.
Date : July 23, 2005
Attendance : 3,835
Capacity : 7,903

Artist/Event : Gigantour: MEGADETH, DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRYKILL LOGIC, BOBAFLEX
Venue : Thomas & Mack Center
City/State : Las Vegas, Nev.
Date : July 22, 2005
Attendance : 1,312
Capacity : 6,500

Venue : Selland Arena
City/State : Fresno, Calif.
Date : July 21, 2005
Attendance : 1,866
Capacity : 6,545

MEGADETH.com
Old 09-21-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch, those are some bad numbers. I guess i can kind of see that. The general public hasn't heard of dream theater, or thought they were an older band who hasn't done anything since Pull Me Under 13 years ago), and megadeth hasn't done anything big since the 80's
Old 09-27-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
ouch, those are some bad numbers. I guess i can kind of see that... and megadeth hasn't done anything big since the 80's

ah NO!, 1992 (Their Masterpiece) "Countdown To Extinction" [Their biggest seller] and 1994 "Youthanasia" [a very good record].

Yeah it sucks seeing those low numbers, but they are planning GIGANTOUR2, and I'll be there!

they should just stop the BULLSHIT and Co-Headline METALLICA's Summer Sanitarium 2006.
Old 09-27-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Image Entertainment, Inc., a leading independent licensee, producer and distributor of home entertainment programming in North America, today announced it has secured worldwide DVD, CD and broadcast rights to Gigantour, one of the most successful heavy metal concert tours of 2005.

Gigantour kicked-off on July 21 in Fresno, Calif., and hit 39 cities in the U.S. and Canada and ended on September 11 in Portland, Ore. The tour was a seven-week festival trek co-headlined by MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER, featuring ANTHRAX, FEAR FACTORY, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRY KILL LOGIC and BOBAFLEX. Several of the bands performed only at specified cities on the schedule. The tour was the brainchild of MEGADETH frontman/guitarist Dave Mustaine, who handpicked the bands for the tour.

"Gigantour is one of the most significant heavy metal events in recent years," said Barry Gordon, senior vice president of worldwide programming of Image Entertainment. "All of these bands have great appeal to the progressive metal crowd, which will give the DVD and CD a tremendous reception at retail."

The DVD and CD will feature highlights from several concert stops, with the DVD also including exclusive backstage video footage. Both are scheduled for release the first half of 2006.

"There are a few very successful tours out each summer and in order to be significant, I knew the first Gigantour had to make an impact with top bands like DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN and NEVERMORE," said Dave Mustaine. "I wanted to put together a festival that consisted of positive bands that play heavy music in a high energy environment."

MEGADETH.com
Old 09-27-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen Megadeth live twice, and both times I've found their live show horrible. Mustaine's singing was just too whiny and nasal, and they coudln't cover it up live like they do on th albums. Too bad Dream theater didn't do another co-headline tour with Queensryche. The two bands fit together much better than Dream Theater and Megadeth do. Saw them at the DTE Energy Theater in Michigan and the place was packed, unlike the 1/2 capacity show Gigantour did.
Old 09-27-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave Mustaine:

As far as what kind of a new record to expect, well, don't! I still haven't made up my mind yet. And even though Gigantour 2 is being organized, that doesn't mean I will play on it, or that Megadeth will. I would like to, mind you

Also, this last tour had a few hiccups with stress, timing, lack of coordination/cooperation, personnel changes, but nothing at all was caused by the talent that I was graciously accompanied by...

Lastly, I have gotten lists of bands from the boys that they like, and am comparing them with my notes, as well as doing research to see if they are available and if they would be a strong supporter for Gigantour 2. I am aware that all of these things start off slow, unless you have over a dozen bands, (which is too much for what I am trying to do) and so I thank everyone that came out for the maiden voyage. I intend on starting around the end of May and going through July. And incase Megadeth plays again, and the possibility comes that we are offered a festival overseas during that time, we would just have to "squeeeeeze it in"

MEGADETH.com
Old 09-30-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave Mustaine:

SEPT 30/05

Droogies and She Wolves!

I got an email from my pal Megannie about a misquote in some media reporting in South America. The journalist said that I told him, "This will be the last concert ever in Chile." Well that's not true.

Although it may be the last concert in Chile ever as Megadeth, I NEVER SAID THAT. I intend on making my announcement in Argentina and that, to me, seems like an indication of my plans. And, if I do retire the Mighty Megs, I still am going to play on! And either way, I am finally going to get my live record in Argentina. I have some great songs chosen especially for this very intimate night. I am going to sing one song acoustically and change the words, and play another that I have never played yet, and will prolly never play again.

MEGADETH.com