Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Weird Al: It's Still Billy Joel To Me song - was this ever officially released?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently heard this song on one of those download music sites. It sounds live, and it is actually quite good (funny). But I own all of Weird Al's albums (sans UHF) and there aren't any live tracks on any of them, least of all this one.

Oh, and it definitely sounds dated. Like, it sounds very 1982-ish due to the references Al uses in the song.
Old 03-16-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of it, and I have most of his CDs and have seen him twice.

You sure its Al? I've seen a lot of parody songs listed as his that really weren't. Maybe Bob Rivers?
Old 03-16-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Never heard of it, and I have most of his CDs and have seen him twice.

You sure its Al? I've seen a lot of parody songs listed as his that really weren't. Maybe Bob Rivers?
No, it's him. I think it was released on an old Dr. Demento LP.
Old 03-16-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, its definitely him. I'd know his voice anywhere. And I know its vintage because it has his accordian, which he used almost exclusively in the old days.
Old 03-16-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think it was ever released. I vaguely remember an old interview where he mentioned that Billy Joel wasn't happy & he felt kind of bad about it. & we all know that Al always asks permission. It was years before he was able to put "Yoda" on a record.

I saw Al live in '85 & a definite highlight was his Fabulous Food Medley which included classics like My Bologna along with unreleased songs like Whole Lotta Lunch (Zeppelin), Don't You Forget About Meat (Simple Minds?), Avocado (Eagles), & probably others I've forgotten.
Old 03-16-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
I've heard it once. Like others said, I don't think it was ever released.

What about B-sides? Those are usually easy to forget. Did Al ever have actual "singles?"
Old 03-16-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokimok
I saw Al live in '85 & a definite highlight was his Fabulous Food Medley which included classics like My Bologna along with unreleased songs like Whole Lotta Lunch (Zeppelin), Don't You Forget About Meat (Simple Minds?), Avocado (Eagles), & probably others I've forgotten.
"It's Moldy Now" to the tune of "Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins is the one I most remember when I saw him live back then. "I had a pizza" was the first line, instead of "I had a picture". Here's a link to the full lyrics
Old 03-16-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
No, it's him. I think it was released on an old Dr. Demento LP.
Yup. Volume 5 of "Dr. Demento's Basement Tapes". As far as I know, that's the only official release it's gotten.
Old 03-17-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every volume of the Basement Tapes has one Weird Al rarity. I have Volume 6, I was only in the Demento Society for one year. It has the original version of Yoda.

There are many unreleased Al songs.

Some just don't fit on the albums, others he doesn't get clearance to officially release but can perform in concert.

I remember seeing him live in 2000 and he did two songs that have never been released. "Laundry Day" using "Come Out and Play" by the Offspring (gotta keep 'em separated!), and "Free Delivery" using "My Heart Will Go On" (near, far, I'll jump in my car, something something, the toppings will go on!)

EDIT: Anyone know where to get copies of the other basement tapes? Or how many there are? I think I got #6 in 1999, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-17-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
EDIT: Anyone know where to get copies of the other basement tapes? Or how many there are? I think I got #6 in 1999, but I could be wrong.
Back when Sharingthegroove still existed, someone put up a torrent of every unreleased Al song. It was 5 CDs, but I didn't see it until CDs 1-2 were already dead and I've never seen it since. I'm sure you could find someone out there who has the whole collection, though.
Old 03-17-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to get my hands on some copies of unreleased Al stuff. So if anyone has any, drop me an email at [email protected]. Thanks.
Old 03-17-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
I remember seeing him live in 2000 and he did two songs that have never been released. "Laundry Day" using "Come Out and Play" by the Offspring (gotta keep 'em separated!), and "Free Delivery" using "My Heart Will Go On" (near, far, I'll jump in my car, something something, the toppings will go on!)
Al did "Free Delivery" at the concert i went to last year.
Old 03-17-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Billy Joel is a big stiff for not giving Al permission to use her songs - I realize that not one Billy Joel song was ever used in Al's 20+ years.
Old 03-17-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Billy Joel is a big stiff for not giving Al permission to use her songs - I realize that not one Billy Joel song was ever used in Al's 20+ years.
Not true. The Spiderman song on his latest album is to the tune of "Piano Man."
Old 03-17-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lokimok

He always seems to have a food medley. When I saw him on the Off the Deep End tour, he included Chicken Pot Pie (Paul McCartney or G 'n R).
Old 03-17-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Billy Joel is a big stiff for not giving Al permission to use her songs
I think it's an unfortunate side effect of the sex change.
Old 03-17-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Not true. The Spiderman song on his latest album is to the tune of "Piano Man."
I forgot about that one. I guess Ms Joel okay'ed it because it wasn't derogatory towards Joel himself or his music.

Such strange clause-considerations.
Old 03-17-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought parody was something you didn't need permission to use. Do you mean that permission wasn't given and Al chooses to go along with the wishes of the artists?
Old 03-17-05, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the exception of Coolio, yes.
Old 03-17-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I thought parody was something you didn't need permission to use. Do you mean that permission wasn't given and Al chooses to go along with the wishes of the artists?
Correct. He asks permission to release them. If the artist says no, he moves on.
Old 03-17-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
Coolio was a case where Al's reps told him to move ahead when he in fact didn't give permission. Al really did regret it and apologized to Coolio.

Interesting note: apparently when he did his spoof of "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits', Mark Knopfler only granted permission if he himself could play guitar on it. Also, the title for "Like a Surgeon" was first developed by Madonna.

I think that's kind of neat; the artists are like "well if you're going to make fun of me, do it the right way."
Old 03-18-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Coolio was a case where Al's reps told him to move ahead when he in fact didn't give permission.
In the case of Amish Paradise, Coolio didn't, in fact, own the rights to the song. While Coolio didn't want it used for parody, he had no control since the owners of the song (whoever they are - the record label, I guess it was) granted Yankovic permission. I guess the record company saw $$$ instead of artistic integrity.
Old 03-18-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think that's kind of neat; the artists are like "well if you're going to make fun of me, do it the right way."
And i give artists that much more respect if they can joke around and don't mind someone else poking fun at them

Unlike Eminem.
Old 03-18-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
In the case of Amish Paradise, Coolio didn't, in fact, own the rights to the song. While Coolio didn't want it used for parody, he had no control since the owners of the song (whoever they are - the record label, I guess it was) granted Yankovic permission. I guess the record company saw $$$ instead of artistic integrity.
Dr. DVD's description is what I've always heard -- someone at Al's label assured him that Coolio gave him the thumbs-up, which never happened. Coolio was incensed because he thought the song delivered an important message and shouldn't be parodied in that way. I don't think there was ever any doubt that Stevie Wonder was behind the music -- Al's pretty savvy about that sort of thing.
Old 03-18-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eminem was cool. He did, after all, allow Al to use Lose Yourself (the song) but just forbid him to make a video. What difference it would have made, I have no idea.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.