Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Came across a valuable record....any advice?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 01:21 AM
ams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was cleaning out the attic of a family friend and came across a few valuable records. The cream of the crop seems to be this Beatles album, valued between $2500-$4000 on various online price guides!

Does anyone know a good place to sell this album? Would someone really pay this much for it?
Old 03-12-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.gemm.com
www.ebay.com
Old 03-12-05, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it to a local record shop and have it appraised first...you don't want to sell something for more or less than the worth...not to say I hope you don't make a buck...just find out if it is the exact record and not a second or third print that is not worth as much...you don't want to ebay it, and have it come back to bite you....either way good find.
Old 03-12-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
www.rockaway.com

They're big on collectibles.
Old 03-12-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This site tells all about that album:

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beat...tro/intro.html
Old 03-12-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The worlds most counterfeited album

Welcome to our Vee-Jay Introducing The Beatles page. It seems almost every copy of this album that turns up is a fake, due to the fact that several different companies in the 60s and through the 70s manufactured an endless array of different counterfeit versions. Add those to the more than 30 different authentic versions that VJ managed to produce in 1963 and 1964, and you have quite a complicated situation for collectors and historians. More variations of this album exist than perhaps any record every issued by any artist. It is the most frequently asked about LP on the Internet, and probably causes the most confusion for collectors of any Beatles album ever released. Some of these fakes are remarkably close to the originals, with the quality of some covers even equaling or exceeding that of originals, making them a little harder to authenticate. Fortunately, there are easily identifiable clues in most cases, which we will cover thoroughly.

which is yours?
Old 03-12-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Based on the fact that it advertises other releases by the same company on the back, and it's not even the Beatles' record company, I'd say it's definitely not legit. It's almost like an old K-Tel album.
Old 03-12-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm assuming if it were real, the owners of the album would get the money.
Old 03-12-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some of the more common characteristics found on ORIGINAL COVERS:

Covers-front and back-must have slicks that are either glossy or semi-glossy.
Printing on covers must be of high quality and professional looking.
Back cover lists contents in two columns
Stereo copies must meet one of the following conditions:
1. Back cover pictures 25 color photos of other Vee-Jay albums. This copy is commonly known as the "Ad Back" cover.
2. Back cover is totally blank; a completely white slick with no print whatsoever.
3. Back cover lists content in two columns, almost always containing Please Please Me and Ask Me Why. Only a couple of original copies have been verified listing Love Me Do / P.S. I Love You.

Looks like the picture satisfies that condition. Not syaing the pictured version is the poster's.
Old 03-12-05, 11:37 PM

Dalvin ?
Old 03-12-05, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Based on the fact that it advertises other releases by the same company on the back, and it's not even the Beatles' record company, I'd say it's definitely not legit. It's almost like an old K-Tel album.
Several old albums and 45s with jackets did this.

(And pretty sure the Beatles pre-date K-tel)
Old 03-12-05, 11:59 PM
ams

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
The worlds most counterfeited album

Welcome to our Vee-Jay Introducing The Beatles page. It seems almost every copy of this album that turns up is a fake, due to the fact that several different companies in the 60s and through the 70s manufactured an endless array of different counterfeit versions. Add those to the more than 30 different authentic versions that VJ managed to produce in 1963 and 1964, and you have quite a complicated situation for collectors and historians. More variations of this album exist than perhaps any record every issued by any artist. It is the most frequently asked about LP on the Internet, and probably causes the most confusion for collectors of any Beatles album ever released. Some of these fakes are remarkably close to the originals, with the quality of some covers even equaling or exceeding that of originals, making them a little harder to authenticate. Fortunately, there are easily identifiable clues in most cases, which we will cover thoroughly.

which is yours?
Hmmmm..... I figured that this was an authentic copy of the album, since it was stored with many other 1960's era records. However, it seems that there are counterfeit 1960's era records. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take it to be authenticated by a professional. It is not mine, so I will not work to hard on this. It was just cool to find.
Old 03-13-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
(And pretty sure the Beatles pre-date K-tel)
Which would be why I said ALMOST LIKE.
Old 03-13-05, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Which would be why I said ALMOST LIKE.
And for the rest of the context of my post (and the point)...

Based on the fact that it advertises other releases by the same company on the back, and it's not even the Beatles' record company, I'd say it's definitely not legit.
Not true.
Old 03-13-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, all I can say is this album by some bonehead "VJ" company is not listed in any Beatles discography I've ever seen or heard of, but since you seem to be the expert, you win. All hail.

And since the OP seems to be satisfied with the input he's received, debate over.
Old 03-13-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This Vee-Jay release was the result of Capitol originally not having any interest in promoting The Beatles in the US. They were an independant label that eventually gave in to Capitol once they wanted to get behind The Beatles.

I have one of these in storage that I bought from our local library in the seventies. I should get it out and see which version it is.
Old 03-13-05, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

Well, all I can say is this album by some bonehead "VJ" company is not listed in any Beatles discography...
Not an expert by any means, thought it was pretty common knowledge amongst Beatle fans.

Here's some info on the bonehead Vee Jay records relating to the Beatles, if you are interested.

Vee Jay does the Beatles
Old 03-13-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up a copy of this at Target in the 70's. Later I read how it was rare and I thought I was rich.