Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Murphy vs. Daniel Ash (and gang)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the weekend I picked up a cheapo used copy of Peter Murphy's solo best of and I'm not impressed. There are a handful of decent songs (the best is a cover). After all these years it seems to me that the creative mindset belonged to the other guys in Bauhaus. Love & Rockets and Tones On Tail to me blow out of the water just about anything Peter Murphy has been involved with... and that includes Bauhaus.

Not a very hot topic, I know, but what's your favorite work among all these guys?
Old 03-07-05, 11:08 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Old 03-07-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is good, too...

Old 03-07-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That Tones on Tail disc is amazing stuff. That and "Express" by Love & Rockets makes my stereo smile.
Old 03-07-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter Murphy had nothing to do with "So Alive".
Therefore: Pete > Ash/J/Haskins
Old 03-07-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only recently (within the past year or so) started listening to any of the groups/singers involved but here's my take.
Murphy is pretty good (Cuts You Up and A Strange Kind of Love are great songs IMHO) but at the same time he's had some pretty crappy ones too (Subway comes to mind). Plus, his voice can sound really weird almost comedic at times (perhaps that's why I like Bauhaus' Slice of Life so much, it's Ash singing).
Love and Rockets on the other hand I think are an awesome band. I really like their stuff, or at the very least, don't dislike it. No New Tale to Tell and All In My Mind being two of my favorites. Plus their cover of Ball of Confusion is really really cool.
I don't know much about Ash's solo stuff, I think the only song I've heard by him is This Love which is ok, but nothing stellar. Either way, Bauhaus did some great stuff but I definitely think that Love and Rockets arguably had just as much talent but a more approachable style of music, whether or not that was a good thing I'll leave up to you guys.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 03-07-05 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
Funny, I got into a mini-argument recently with a music fiend who swears "So Alive" is the best thing Love & Rockets ever did... I countered that any song from their first three albums are better. But I'd still rather hear that song over most of the boring Pete songs.
Old 05-22-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Peter Murphy's All Night Long is a fantastic song - I had heard it in the past and, thanks to VH-1's The Alternative, re-discovered it again!
Old 05-23-05, 11:32 AM

Saw Peter Murphy last night and he was magnificent with that voice. His band was great too. A good mix of mostly classics and a few new tracks.
He was incredible on "I Fall With Your Knife."
Old 05-24-05, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive

I think the Tones on Tail material was excellent as were the first two Love and Rockets albums. The third was good imo. My favorites are the "Love Hysteria" and "Deep" albums by Peter Murphy though. The albums that came after "Deep" slowly started losing steam. Haven't heard the new one yet though.