Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mars Volta: Frances the Mute ($5.99 @ Your Local Circuit City)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just like to say that I think The Mars Volta is by far one of my favorite bands, and their latest LP is hitting stores March 1st for a mere $5.99 at your local Circuit City. That's dirt cheap for a CD these days and well worth it. I'm almost willing to bet that you definitely won't be disappointed.

I know it's been leaked all over the Internet, but this is one of those CDs that I want to wait until I can hear it properly with the best quality possible. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was so addicted to their last LP, De-Loused in the Comatorium, that literally I had cravings to hear it all the time. It's one of those CDs that never got old for me, and that hasn't changed to this very day.

Oh, and if you ever get the opportunity to see them live, take advantage of it! Cedric and Omar are high up on my list as musicians.
Old 02-28-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought De-Loused was possibly the best album to come out a couple of years ago and Frances The Mute is horrible. Over-long songs that never seem to go anywhere.
Old 02-28-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the first album was at a great price when it came out as well! the reviews seem pretty positive, so i'll definitely be picking it up for that deal.
Old 02-28-05, 12:09 PM

damn pitchfork trashed this album...
but then again they trash a lot of albums.

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
the first album was at a great price when it came out as well! the reviews seem pretty positive, so i'll definitely be picking it up for that deal.
Old 02-28-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I thought De-Loused was possibly the best album to come out a couple of years ago and Frances The Mute is horrible. Over-long songs that never seem to go anywhere.
Oh, no. Don't tell me that. I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to decide for myself. Sometimes you have to think about it this way: They're probably just... very different. Wishful thinking, perhaps.
Old 02-28-05, 01:45 PM

this album easily could have been around 40 minutes and made it much better. just pointless noise making drops this one down quite a few notches for me. deloused was a lot better.
Old 02-28-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've only heard the single on the radio and wasn't particularly impressed. Any songs in particular worth listening to?
Old 02-28-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Oh, no. Don't tell me that. I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to decide for myself. Sometimes you have to think about it this way: They're probably just... very different. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

I've been listening to it since around the middle of December. It's brilliant, don't worry.
Old 02-28-05, 07:12 PM

Well, at that price I guess I can't pass it up.
Old 02-28-05, 09:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
The single fits into the record really well when played as a whole. But, I loved the Widow before hearing the whole record...

But the record is amazing. Yes, the songs are very long. The final track clocks in at 33 minutes. But they are well worth it if you have the ability to just be absorbed in the music.

I think I still like De-loused more, but Fraces the Mute is well worth the wait and meets all the expectations that I had for their follow up. What a great band!
Old 03-01-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm. i always notice that if AMG says "excellent" and Pitchfork says "godawful" it's probably merely alright. amg gives it 4.5/5, and i seldom disagree with their objectivity in reviews.
Old 03-01-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're looking for "De-Loused part 2" you may be disappointed. Frances is a superb album. Its not as accessible as their last effort but its still a great album.
Old 03-01-05, 12:55 AM

Cant waitfor this picking it up before work. From what i have heard (leaked) it isnt as good as De-Loused but it sure isnt bad or even mediocre.

PS - Does anyone know when we can expect a tour from them, and I pray to someones's god that they come to Vancouver.
Old 03-01-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The thing about this album is that it's not something you can just pop in and rock out too (okay that sounds corny, forgive me) like some of the De-Loused tracks. It's more in the vein of "Meddle" by Pink Floyd. It's meant to be heard as a whole body of work in it's entirety.
Old 03-01-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[QUOTE=david12]
But the record is amazing. Yes, the songs are very long. The final track clocks in at 33 minutes. [QUOTE]

Hold on, are you saying the last track, one song, is 33 mins. long?
Old 03-01-05, 10:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the last track on the record Cassandra Gemini is 33 minutes long. The CD book will have it split up over 7 tracks (legal stuff) but it is one crazy song. For the first 15+ minutes it does not stop moving. Quite breathtaking.
Old 03-01-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and if you ever get the opportunity to see them live, take advantage of it! Cedric and Omar are high up on my list as musicians.
I really liked De-Loused as well, but when I saw them live with A Perfect Circle I was very disappointed. The music just sounded horrible---it could easily have been been the venue, though APC sounded great.

In any case, I'm going to give Frances the Mute a good listen through tonight. Great deal, for $5.99!

On a side note, did everyone else get the pesky "FBI Anti-Piracy" print as well? So it goes.
Old 03-02-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love it. It's totally TMV. Listening to their music is the equivalent to being on drugs (not that I'd know), or at least being high. Oh, and being high while listening to their music is, well, amazing. Not that you need to be! And no, I'm not some druggie. I'm impressed as I had anticipated.
Old 03-02-05, 09:46 PM

I guess I'll be waiting to hear this one for awhile, every store around here is completely sold out.
Old 03-03-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
I guess I'll be waiting to hear this one for awhile, every store around here is completely sold out.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear it, but that's great news for them. I'm glad they're getting the recognition they deserve.
Old 03-03-05, 03:22 PM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear it, but that's great news for them. I'm glad they're getting the recognition they deserve.
Yeah, definitely. Plus, the store I work at had another 75 on order as well and I imagine most of those will go quickly as well.
Old 03-03-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Target carries it too.
Old 03-04-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ANyone else wish this band would get the DVD-A or SACD treatment?
Old 03-04-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked it up, after being impressed by at the drive in like 4 years ago and since then a huge fan of sparta...I like the mars volta a lot. BUT De-Loused was just great, and this one is going to take a bit to grow on me. The first 2 times through, it's reminded me so far of Led Zeppelin in the In through the out door era for some reason. I like it, but I'm wishing this was a 2 disc set with some straight out rock on one disc and the more experimental stuff on another.

I still say that Sparta is the better band of the post-ATDI days...their most recent album, Porcelin, is just simply bad-ass...
Old 03-05-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I still say that Sparta is the better band of the post-ATDI days...their most recent album, Porcelin, is just simply bad-ass...
I really liked Sparta's first effort (Wiretap Scars) and rather disliked their second(Porcelain). It just seemed boring for some reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.