Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Black Sabbath Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Sabbath Poll

I recently saw on the Web on a Black Sabbath Fan site a poll for fans to vote on to see what Black Sabbath should do:

Should the band wait till Ozzy decides to record a new album with Sabbath?

Should they fire Ozzy and get a new singer?

Should Black Sabbath just continue with Ozzy and do only OzzFest shows?

Should the band just break up forever?

Me, I feel if Ozzy doesn't want to be bothered in recording a new LP with Black Sabbath he should tell them this so they can decide from there to either continue doing OzzFest shows with Ozzy and forget the new album or just forget Ozzy, get a new singer to record a new LP. I would LOVE to get a new Black Sabbath LP, but if Ozzy don't wanna comit to it then forget him and get a new singer! Why should they wait on him and drag this on forever?? Com on guys wake Ozzy up or forget him!

I would like for fans of Black Sabbath to give their opinion on this topic. Also tell me in their "honest" opinion who of all the singers who recorded and toured with Black Sabbath was the best. For those who may not remember who all of the singers were here is the list below:

Ozzy Osboourne (Of course everyone knows him)
Ronnie James Dio (MY favorite BS singer, nuff said!)
Ian Gillan
Glenn Hughes
Tony Martin

Can't wait to see what everyone has to say on ths one!
Old 02-23-05, 09:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
I don't know everything about the situation (from the way you worded it, it seems that "Black Sabbath" is contractually obligated to have Ozzy as the vocalist, and they cannot record a new album without him), but if that's roughly the case...

The "other" members of Black Sabbath, despite what some may think, do have the ability and potential willpower to record an album as a "new" band. If they're really that interested in making new music, then there's no reason for them not to drop the "Black Sabbath" name and start recording. The only reason I could see why they wouldn't want a new name is because that means they'll have to re-market themselves to the public, which, 99% of the time, means less sales. I think that's lame. If they can't, by contract, exist as "Black Sabbath" if Ozzy isn't around, then they need to get over it and start making music. It seems that they really want Ozzy to be a part of it, but if he's uninterested or lazy, forget him. They're individuals.
Old 02-23-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are they worth anything more than the continual reunion shows? they're old. ozzy never was really talented in his own right. my vote: who cares. let them continue to rehash the glory days. that's all that matters anyway.
Old 02-23-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would they be contractually unable to record with another singer when they have already done it in the past?
Old 02-24-05, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterOftheMoon
Ronnie James Dio (MY favorite BS singer, nuff said!)
Ian Gillan

Can't wait to see what everyone has to say on ths one!
Totally agree with you about Ronnie James Dio, by far the best Sabbath singer, also i would rather have Ian Gillan in sabbath again over Ozzy, that Born Again album was amazing, i much prefer Ozzy as a solo artist, now if they would only get around and remaster my favorite Ozzy cd "The Ultimate Sin".
Old 02-24-05, 06:48 AM

Sabbath is Ozzy, Geezer, Bill and Tony.
Old 02-24-05, 08:47 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Sabbath is Ozzy, Geezer, Bill and Tony.
Absolutely, 100% agree! While I have enjoyed all of the other variations we have seen, one fact remains (for me), they were NEVER Black Sabbath.
Old 02-24-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
If they recorded an album without Ozzy, no one would give a shit.
Old 02-24-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shouldn't this be a poll?
Old 02-24-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If they recorded an album without Ozzy, no one would give a shit.
If it was Ronnie James Dio on vocals i would give a shit...
Old 02-24-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Agreed, Mob Rules and LIVE Evil were the best. Ronnie had so much energy to give.
Have you seen him lately? Withered is the word.
Old 02-24-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by covenant
Agreed, Mob Rules and LIVE Evil were the best. Ronnie had so much energy to give.
Have you seen him lately? Withered is the word.

"Dio has rocked for a long, long, time........but now it's time for him to pass the torch"
Old 02-24-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
If it was Ronnie James Dio on vocals i would give a shit...
Hardly anyone gave a shit about the Sabbath w/Dio album that came out in the early 90's.
Old 02-24-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Black Sabbath with Ozzy is my one and only Black Sabbath, but I wouldn't mind seeing them with Chris Cornell of SOUNDGARDEN just for fun.
Now THAT would kick @ss.
Old 02-24-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should record 1 album with Ozzy.

as for DIO , I saw the reunion in 92 and it rocked.

currenty Ronnie puts on a better performance than Ozzy.
Old 02-24-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I think it's time for Black Sabbath to hang it up. If anything was going to happen with the original lineup, it would have happened after the reunion tour. Dio would never be interested in getting back together with them, and there's really no reason he should.

Black Sabbath are one of my all time favorites, but when it's over, it's over.
Old 02-24-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to see Black Sabbath right at the end of the seventies when they did the Black & Blue tour with Blue Oyster Cult.

I had listened to Sabbath for years with Ozzy and had not really paid all that much attention to BOC. Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master of Reality had played endlessly at my house.

The show opened with a long, fantastic set from BOC. I was blown away with the power of all the lead guitars. It really was an excellent show and my friends and I were really pumped when BOC left the stage.

There was then a very long delay between bands and the audience was getting pretty pissed. Black Sabbath finally took the stage at what seemed like twice the volume of BOC. It was literally painful and almost impossible to even recognize the songs. In the middle of all of this was Dio and he just wasn't Ozzy for me. It felt like a major step down from the BOC performance and playing louder didn't change the fact that Ozzy was missing. At that moment I realized that Sabbath was over for me. I looked at my friends and they were covering their ears and wincing. I pointed at the exit and they all nodded their heads in agreement. It was only out in the hall that I realized we had walked out during Iron Man. It was unrecognizable on the floor in front of the stage.

I can't blame Dio and I'm sure he is talented but I never gave it a chance after that night. Black Sabbath ended for me the first time Ozzy left the band.
Old 02-24-05, 11:53 PM

Looks like some wanna see a new Sabbath LP with Ozzy and some don't,plus it looks like its going back and forth between Ozzy and Ronnie with fave singers, plus one for Ian. No,I don't see Ronnie ever coming back to Sabbath cause the last time he was with the band it was said when he found out their last two shows for the "Dehummanizer Tour" that they were gonna be an opening act for Ozzy Osbourne, rumor has it Ronnie quit cause he didn't want to be an opening act to Ozzy! So they called Rob Halford to do the last two shows. To me that takes guts for Ronnie to say that cause to me personally, Ozzy's a good singer,but I will always enjoy Ronnie's voice over Ozzy's anyday. I feel he deserves more credit. Ok,back to Black Sabbath, I feel they should owe the fans at least one more album of new songs, I mean they have been reunited since like 1998, so why not give it a shot. I mean look at other bands that reunited like Kiss, Motley Crue, Posion, The Eagles ect. they all did new albums for their reunions why not Sabbath?

Last edited by MasterOftheMoon; 02-24-05 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Born Again was my favorite album.
Old 02-25-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris

great album. in my opinon the last real Blask Sabbath album until Dehumanizer
Old 02-26-05, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris
uh...

Old 02-26-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-26-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While Ozzy with Sabbath was good a long, long, time ago, and Ozzy solo during the Randy Rhoads years was pretty good, I don't care if I ever see or hear Ozzy, Sharon, or the rest of that family ever again.

But Dio is still cool.
Old 02-27-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
uh...

Just cause it has a hideous cover is no reason not to love the album. Besides, there's an interesting story behind it:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/bornagain.html

edited for brevity's sake

from Steve Joule, the album cover designer:

The Black Sabbath 'Born Again' album sleeve was designed under extraordinary circumstances; basically what had happened was that Sharon and Ozzy had split very acrimoniously from her fathers (Don Arden) management and record label. He subsequently decided that he would wreak his revenge by making Black Sabbath (whom he managed) the best heavy metal band in the world... ...as I was designing Ozzys sleeves at the time I of course got asked to submit some rough designs. As I didn't want to lose my gig with the Osbourne's I thought the best thing to do would be to put some ridiculous and obvious designs down on paper, submit them and then get the beers in with the rejection fee, but oh no, life ain't that easy. In all I think there were four rough ideas that were given to the management and band to peruse (unfortunately I no longer have the roughs as I would love to see just how bad the other three were as sadly my booze and drug addled brain no longer remembers that far back), anyway one of the ideas was of course the baby and the first image of a baby that I found was from the front cover of a 1968 magazine called 'Mind Alive' that my parents has bought me as a child in order to further my education, so in reality I say blame my parents for the whole sorry mess. I then took some black and white photocopies of the image (the picture is credited to 'Rizzoli Press') that I overexposed, stuck the horns, nails, fangs into the equation, used the most outrageous colour combination that acid could buy, bastardised a bit of the Olde English typeface and sat back, shook my head and chuckled. The story goes that at the meeting Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were present but no Ian Gillan or Bill Ward. Tony loved it and Geezer, so I'm reliably informed, looked at it and in his best Brummie accent said, "It's shit. but it's fucking great!" Don not only loved it but had already decided that a Born Again baby costume was to be made for a suitable midget who was going to wear it and be part of the now infamous 'Born Again Tour'. So suddenly I find myself having to do the bloody thing... ...when Gillan finally got to see a finished sleeve he hated it with a vengeance and hence the now famous quote "I looked at the cover and puked!" Not wanting to sound bitchy but over the years I've said the same thing about most of Gillan's album sleeves. He also allegedly threw a box of 25 copies of the album out of his window.
Old 02-27-05, 10:11 PM

Another vote for Born Again as the best Sabbath album. Also love the cover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.