Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

some info on FOO FIGHTERS upcoming [double] album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

some info on FOO FIGHTERS upcoming [double] album

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DamingR
Anybody else disappointed? Man, I listened to the whole "rock" disc and thought every track sounded the same.

I used to really like them during TCATS, but lately they have been not so good.
I've listened to the album about 5 times now and I'm not impressed. Mediocre effort. Too much yelling, not enough melodies and hooks. I like DOA, No Way Back and nothing else. The first single is horrible in my opinion. How many times do we need to hear, the best, the best, the best. blah blah blah The acoustic disc isn't too bad but it's not great.

The rock disc is their worst album to date I think. One by One started the downfall and now it has peaked with this.
Old 06-18-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gross@iastate
I've listened to the album about 5 times now and I'm not impressed. Mediocre effort. Too much yelling, not enough melodies and hooks. I like DOA, No Way Back and nothing else. The first single is horrible in my opinion. How many times do we need to hear, the best, the best, the best. blah blah blah The acoustic disc isn't too bad but it's not great.

The rock disc is their worst album to date I think. One by One started the downfall and now it has peaked with this.
I feel the same way you to about IYH, it's just not a strong effort.

But you couldn't be more wrong about 1x1. Incredible album.
Old 06-19-05, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does friend of a friend sound familiar to anyone else? Possibly an old demo that leaked?
Old 06-19-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FOAF is the same song that was on Pocketwatch, just redone. Great lil song, and its freakin old! Glad about seeing one of his old demos end up on this. Kind of a nod to all the true fans who have known about the song for years, and now finally see it brought to light.

I think anyone who says IHY is weak must be on crack. Its amazing and I would put it the 2nd best Foo Album so far. Its going to be hard to top TCATS, but there are several songs that could easily become classic Foo songs.
Ive listened to the album around 15 times or so all the way through, and several songs more than that. IYH is the freakin bees knees.
Old 06-21-05, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Assuming this is the same media max copy protection as on other discs, here's how to disable it assuming you let it install.
Thanks Josh. Just like with Contraband, I followed your directions and now my ipod has a little less free space.
Old 06-22-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
FOAF is the same song that was on Pocketwatch, just redone. Great lil song, and its freakin old! Glad about seeing one of his old demos end up on this. Kind of a nod to all the true fans who have known about the song for years, and now finally see it brought to light.

I think anyone who says IHY is weak must be on crack. Its amazing and I would put it the 2nd best Foo Album so far. Its going to be hard to top TCATS, but there are several songs that could easily become classic Foo songs.
Ive listened to the album around 15 times or so all the way through, and several songs more than that. IYH is the freakin bees knees.
It's cool that you dig it so much, but I still remain disappointed. I've given it 4-5 solid listens, and the only tracks that really stand out to me are 3-4. The rest is loud guitars and screaming, and not in a good way like Wind Up or My Poor Brain.

Maybe I'll come to like this album more in time, but second best? Hell no. It will never be more than their fifth best to me.
Old 06-22-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
... At No. 2 with 311,000 units, Foo Fighters earn their highest Billboard 200 position and career-best sales week with the double-disc "In Your Honor" (Roswell/RCA). The band's last album, "One by One" opened at No. 3 in 2002 with 122,000 and has sold 1.2 million to-date. The Foos' best-selling album remains 1997's "The Colour and the Shape" at 1.9 million.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 06-22-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad you like it but it's hard to see your opinion as objective considering your screen name.
Old 06-22-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
... At No. 2 with 311,000 units, Foo Fighters earn their highest Billboard 200 position and career-best sales week with the double-disc "In Your Honor" (Roswell/RCA). The band's last album, "One by One" opened at No. 3 in 2002 with 122,000 and has sold 1.2 million to-date. The Foos' best-selling album remains 1997's "The Colour and the Shape" at 1.9 million.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Number 2??? What was number one?
Old 06-22-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Number 2??? What was number one?
Coldplay staves off strong competition on The Billboard 200 as "X&Y" (Capitol) tops the chart for a second week. Although sales of the set dropped 56% to 323,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, the number is big enough to keep the title ahead of new discs by Foo Fighters, the Backstreet Boys and Fat Joe.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 06-22-05, 03:56 PM

cdollaz, that doesnt really make much sense. I have like the Foos for years and years, I above most can be objective when comparing it to other albums of theirs. Who could be more objective, someone who only has heard a few songs, or maybe a couple of albums, or someone who listens to every album every couple of days? I think someone who is more familiar with their whole catalog has more of a right to distinguish what is better (even though its all just opinion), and is more objective than someone who is just a fly-by-night fan.
TCATS is still my favorite, but IYH has the ability to become very close to it, in time.
Im laughing because TCATS wasnt recieved well. Many of the Foo fans were saying, oh man its not like the first one, yada yada. Same with TINLTL and to a lesser degree with OBO. Now many people like TCATS more than any of the others.

YES it has screaming, YES it has a constant hard edge on the first disc. THATS the point, its susposed to be a daylight and dark kind of thing. And I disagree about the screaming, IYH has some of the best screams by Dave. They dont seem forced, they sound like him at a live show.
I dont think,(as a whole) the acoustic is AS strong as the Hard disc, but some of the songs are just amazing.

BTW
I have many friends who vary in how much they like the Foos, and every one of them have said its one of the best albums of the year so far, and one of the best by the Foos.
Sure Im biased, but im still right. hehehe
Old 06-23-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally got around to listening to the 2nd disk.

Man, Beavis & Butthead are right: "If it doesn't rock, it sucks" and holy crap, does disk 2 suck!

The first disk was great. Song #4 was the best by far, but nothing really stank on that disk.

The only song I can tolerate off the 2nd one is the 2nd to last song and Grohl didn't even write it!

I love it when the Foo's do acoustic versions of their harder songs ("Times Like These", "Everlone", etc...), but these were really hard to tolerate.
Old 06-23-05, 01:45 PM
Retired

cdollaz, that doesnt really make much sense. I have like the Foos for years and years, I above most can be objective when comparing it to other albums of theirs. Who could be more objective, someone who only has heard a few songs, or maybe a couple of albums, or someone who listens to every album every couple of days?
You may be objective it ranking it with their other albums, so you're right there. But you're more likely to overrate it comapred to other albums, but you didn't do that here so that's not an issue.

But, you don't need to tell people that think it's a week effort that they're on crack or whatever you said.

I think the rock disc is much better than their past two albums, but not near on par with their first two. The accoustic disc is very mediocre mainly because the songs are just boring and mostly sound the same. It's not something I'll listen to much in the future. IMO they would have been better off just pulling the best 2 or 3 accoustic songs and throwing them on the rock CD and making one album. It would have improved the rock disc as well by adding some variety to the songs on it.
Old 06-23-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But, you don't need to tell people that think it's a week effort that they're on crack or whatever you said.
Well it took longer than a week to record, so it can't be a week effort.

I think the rock disc is much better than their past two albums, but not near on par with their first two. The accoustic disc is very mediocre mainly because the songs are just boring and mostly sound the same. It's not something I'll listen to much in the future. IMO they would have been better off just pulling the best 2 or 3 accoustic songs and throwing them on the rock CD and making one album. It would have improved the rock disc as well by adding some variety to the songs on it.
This whole quote just about sums up my opinion of it too.
Old 06-24-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really like the Foo Fighters so I gave the acoustic disc several spins but IMHO it's garbage. Really weak, really lame songwriting and boring songs to match.

Grohl should have made disc two acoustic versions of old hits. That would have been awesome.
Old 06-24-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
cdollaz, that doesnt really make much sense. I have like the Foos for years and years, I above most can be objective when comparing it to other albums of theirs.

Sure Im biased, but im still right. hehehe
Uh, you are biased but you can still be objective?
Old 06-24-05, 03:06 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Uh, you are biased but you can still be objective?
He's saying he is biased in loving the foo fighters above all other bands, but can still be objective in ranking the foo fighters albums.

Makes sense to me. I'm a die hard pearl jam fan, so I'm not going to be objective in comparing their albums to other bands, but I can be objective in ranking their albums in the order I like them. And like he said, probably more so than more casual fans who don't like them as well and thus don't know the albums as thoroughly.
Old 06-25-05, 12:11 AM

exactly,

and ive listened many more times, and Im still digging it majorly.

good stuff
Old 06-26-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
He's saying he is biased in loving the foo fighters above all other bands, but can still be objective in ranking the foo fighters albums.

Makes sense to me. I'm a die hard pearl jam fan, so I'm not going to be objective in comparing their albums to other bands, but I can be objective in ranking their albums in the order I like them. And like he said, probably more so than more casual fans who don't like them as well and thus don't know the albums as thoroughly.
Yep. Believe it or not, there are some fans that can be this way...

...though there are fanatics too...
Old 07-02-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Never heard a foo fighters album ever before. And on disk 1 i like all the tracks but two hell, deepest blues are black and end over end. Other than that I really like all other tracks on cd1.

CD2 dont care for, friend of a friend, cold day in the sun and razor. When songs listed come on I long for the next. Other than that I think this is a great album. Still not a fan per se but I'll be playing this for some time.
Old 07-23-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
I picked this one up a couple of days ago (regular two disc).

For a person who has never liked the foo fighters I like this album. It's not a masterpiece but it is pretty damn good.

The songs on the fisrt disc get a little out of control (calm down on the screaming man!!!) but it's solid all around. The second disc is pretty impressive as well.

I look forward to checking out their older stuff - guess I'm a fan now.
Old 07-23-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the rock album (haven't listened to the 2nd disc). There are some catchy tunes. The two songs I like quite a bit are No Way Back and The Best. It was pretty much what I expected from a Foos offering.