Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions about The Clash songs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody ever heard the original single versions of "English Civil War" and "Tommy Gun"?? Are they any different from the versions on Give 'Em Enough Rope (The singles apparently list The Clash as the producers)?

And the version of "White Riot" that's on the CD of the UK version of The Clash--Was that always on the UK album, and the single version is the one with the police siren and the alarm?

Being a fan, you'd think I would have known this stuff already, but I just never found out. Thanks!

Last edited by MGBGT; 01-31-05 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Putting in extra word
Old 02-01-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
As far as I can remember (and we're going back some 26 years here), the "English Civil War" and "Tommy Gun" singles are identical to the albums.
And yes, the "White Riot" single is a different version to the one on the original UK version of "The Clash".
Old 02-02-05, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Phodg.
I guess it makes sense since Sony didn't make any attempts to use the single versions of "ECW" and "TG" for the remastered series (I believed the mixes were probably different, but they weren't different enough for reissue). The LP version of "White Riot" sounds like a whole different take of the song from the single, but the US '79 release of The Clash featured the single instead.

Last edited by MGBGT; 02-02-05 at 06:33 PM.