DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Tool [including updated new release information] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/406671-tool-%5Bincluding-updated-new-release-information%5D.html)

Shagrath 12-20-05 09:40 AM

So, Schism and Parabola came out today, and all I saw were the cd-sized digipacks. I know that the APC release, Emotion came in both cd-sized digipacks and a more standard amaray-sized digipack, and I was wondering if these were the same way.

I haven't found any info on the net stating that this is a dual release, and the goons at Best Buy had no clue either. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Ergyu 12-20-05 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
So, Schism and Parabola came out today, and all I saw were the cd-sized digipacks. I know that the APC release, Emotion came in both cd-sized digipacks and a more standard amaray-sized digipack, and I was wondering if these were the same way.

I haven't found any info on the net stating that this is a dual release, and the goons at Best Buy had no clue either. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

I haven't read anything about it and kind of doubt they will release 2 versions.

Byron_T 01-16-06 05:45 AM

For those interested I read this on Tool's official website. It was posted on Jan 11, 2006.

"Those of you who purchased the DVD singles for Schism and/or Parabol(a) will have noticed an orange sticker affixed to the packaging announcing that TOOL would be releasing a new record sometime in the Spring of 2006. From all indications, this is where things still stand – a Spring 2006 release (although, despite what you might have read on other sites, it won’t be in March). "

If you want to read the rest of the blurb go to www.toolband.com and read in the news section.

I think this will probably change a little but and early May release would make a lot of sense. May 15 will be exactly 5 years since Lateralus hit shelves.

MartinBlank 01-21-06 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath

pulled this off of wikipedia...

On December 20th, two DVDs were released, one containing the single "Schism" and the other "Parabola". Both DVDs have the music videos for each single, along with commentary. In addition, each disc has a remix of each song by Lustmord, along with a sticker that says a new Tool release will be out in the spring of 2006.
What exactly is up with these discs? Has anybody bought them? Worth picking up or are they just something to tide the fans until the "early 2006" release?

Ergyu 01-21-06 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
pulled this off of wikipedia...

What exactly is up with these discs? Has anybody bought them? Worth picking up or are they just something to tide the fans until the "early 2006" release?

They are each dvd singles of the 2 official singles from Lateralus. Each contains a video with guest commentary and a remix by Lustmord. They were each only 8 bucks the first day they were released, so I'd say they are worth it. Nice packaging and a little booklet are included. It won't tide anyone over, as I would assume most fans of tool have seen these videos elsewhere, but they are nice to have.

Lateralus 01-21-06 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ergyu
They are each dvd singles of the 2 official singles from Lateralus. Each contains a video with guest commentary and a remix by Lustmord. They were each only 8 bucks the first day they were released, so I'd say they are worth it. Nice packaging and a little booklet are included. It won't tide anyone over, as I would assume most fans of tool have seen these videos elsewhere, but they are nice to have.

They are currently $5.99 at Amazon.

Byron_T 02-04-06 12:44 PM

I thought I'd post a few more items that have been posted on Tool's Official Website . Looks like May is going to be a good month.

23 Jan 06

TOOL PROMO TOUR
As it now stands, in a few weeks (mid-February) the members of the band (except for Adam) and their manager will be traveling to parts of Europe, England, Japan and Australia on a bit of a promo tour, meaning that they will be meeting with record company people and doing various interviews with the press in order to promote their new record and upcoming tours. Although any press releases are usually timed to coincide with the release of the record, there will undoubtedly be leaks, so those of you who scour the internet should be on the lookout around this time. As the others field questions and deal with promo issues abroad, Adam will remain in Los Angeles to direct the new Tool video.

01 Feb 06

TOOL RECORD MASTERED
Salma stopped dancing on January 29th. The next morning the members of the band flew to Portland, Maine to have the record mastered by Bob Ludwig. This was done on January 31, no doubt followed by a lobster dinner.

03 Feb 06

RELEASE DATES NOT OFFICIAL
Although there are lots of release dates being bandied about, NONE are official as of this posting. However, in all likelihood, the CD will be released sometime in MAY, and hopefully earlier in that month as opposed to later. As soon as the date becomes official (or, as soon as I'm told that it's official) I will post it on the site, and then some of you can respond that it's old news.

caiman 03-01-06 03:15 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread with of the latest news about the new album. The rumored release date is May 2nd. The band still hasn't released the title, but one rumored title was "Aldaraia," though Wikipedia claims it's a fake.

Here is the first review of the CD. Now, this is a VERY poorly written review, and I challenge anyone to get through the whole thing. But hey, at least it's something.

The TOOL Story Marches On

From Andy King, TotalRock… New Album playback at 10, Golborne Road, London W10 -
February 20th 2006... 4pm and 7.30pm

There is something delightfully Toolian about staging a series of European album
press/radio playback and ‘meet-the-new-Record-Company’ dates whilst not only not
revealing the name of said new album but also keeping all the track titles

themselves firmly under wraps.

For your roving Tool reporter, this presents two particular difficulties –
firstly it makes accurate reviewing a task almost as hazardous as Quail shooting
whilst under the influence (perish the thought that anyone could even
contemplate such foolishness) and secondly it prompts momentary, and forgivable,
cynicism along the lines of ‘They’re ‘avin’ a larff! This is just an elaborate,
fake decoy album!’. Oh shit, there I go with those hunting expressions again.

Today (and I use the word entirely accurately - as my Tool obsession squirts
into me such blind courage as to prompt me to lurk, contrary to Record Company
wishes, in the shadows for 90 minutes - so as to catch both the 4pm and 7.30pm
playbacks) - today, the Record Company has displayed a remarkable degree of
Tool-savvy by booking an unheard of pub-for-bohemians in West London’s debatably
fashionable and trendy (or downright dangerous – unless, like me, you have at
least two layers of hoodies on top of your baseball hat) W10 area. 10, Golbourne
Road is at the foot of one of London’s once most notorious and scary tower
blocks – Erno Goldfinger’s (not to mention The Clash’s) Trellick Tower – now
perversely, and miraculously, transmogrified into one of the City’s most
desirable residences. It sez ‘ere.

It’s a joy – in this day and age and with such a multi-million selling global
mega-band (yes, it really is true, fans!) – to immediately bump into ¾ of the
band casually swigging beer from bottles (or, somewhat surprisingly, Starbucks
from a paper cup in Maynard’s case) and chatting amiably with the assembled
mid-afternoon gathering of hacks. It’s always a joy to meet a man so much ‘his
own man’ and Maynard, as usual, manages to take such an expression to dizzy new
heights. As inscrutable as the bastard offspring of Chairman Mao and Wallace &
Gromit’s Were Rabbit (slightly caught in the headlights of my immediate and
presumptuous ‘hail fellow well met’ self-introduction) Maynard professes to
‘feeling a little jet-lagged’ and at once hops off to safer environs. Meanwhile
big haired Danny and Justin look, for all the world, like a brace of goddamn
hippies from the Bong Shop down the road. As has been revealed – Adam has
remained in LA ‘directing the video’.

After a 30 minute delay in proceedings – caused by a tardy and self-important
bunch of hacks creeping out of some rank corner of the evil EMAP Empire (they’re
all Borgs, we suspect) the Anonymous Playback of The Nameless Songs commences…
‘probably nearly in their Final Running Order’, we are told. Readers will,
hopefully, forgive any inaccuracies in reportage. On first listen I surmised
this was an 9 track album, managing to squeeze this figure up to 10 on second
hearing, whilst having confirmation from the band that it was, in fact an 11
track album. (They thought).

Queens Of The Stone Age, The Melvins, Turbonegro, Satyricon, Weezer and Hole.
Hmmm... Joe Baresi’s CV might not be an immediate one to catch the attention
whilst puzzling over a new Producer for a band such as our heroes. But then,
Tool never have been noted for the obvious, the easier, softer way. The band
dynamic IS different on this work. But it’s a challenging difference – perhaps
no great surprise for a band which often borders on the recalcitrant. As might
have been expected from a ‘guitar-oriented’ knob twiddler– the guitars are very
much to the fore. Perhaps more so than on any work since Opiate. And there are
other notables – but more of those later. What we have here with The Album With
No Name (rather a good title, boys… why not go for it? Surely it’s not too
late?) is yet another milestone in the journey of one of the most innovative of
rock bands of the last 30 years. It’s a Rollercoaster. It’s difficult (‘Hurrah!’
I hear you yell!). It’s at points dense, frustrating and impenetrable
(‘Wahaay!’). On occasion it provides the band’s most commercial work to date. At
worst, it heavily borrows hooks and snippets from, mainly, the Lateralus album.
At best, it’s soaring and stunning and staggering – an exercise in aural, no
sensory, exploration. In short, it’s the new Tool album and it’s f@!# great…

Track 1 (7min 3sec). Mesmeric start. Hypnotic beat. Jagged, angular off beats.
Familiar trancey passages punctuated by a guitar part reminiscent of an older
Tool track. Tribal drum beats f@!# with a lovely melody and climax with
Maynard’s vocals. I am going to cry.

Track 2 (7min 12sec) Melodic intro with almost balladic vocals from Maynard.
Lighter feel (almost, dare I say it, APC-tinged) but not for long. Danny gets
stronger – Baresi releases our tubthumper and the feel gets much heavier into
‘chugga chugga’ off beats. Then – here’s some unusual guitar work. Man, it’s
almost Hendix-like! Then back into a heavy tribal groove. I fight off the urge
to masturbate furiously.

Track 3/4 (This is either one 17 minute monster or two tracks – of 6min 20sec
and 10min 26sec – only the Gods Of The Stinfist know the answer). Whichever it
is – DO NOT SMOKE THE WEED WHILST LISTENING TO IT! Starting with Buddhist
temple-flavoured gong tweaking the collective nipples of Kraftwerk, a deep
sphincter-rumbling bass and om chanting might recall ‘Parabol’. After 3 minutes
of this nerve-wracking niceness, all Hell breaks loose with mega-heavy riffdom
before slipping back into spaciness after 30 seconds. Like an epileptic
convulsion in a night of deep sleep. Hawkwind does Greensleeves whilst Pink
Floys look on. The Record Company people are starting to look nervous and
uncomfortable as if they have seldom HEARD anything so strange and worrying.
What the f@!# is this? Let me outta here! I need to go snuggle the Radio One
Playlist! Suddenly it’s a crazed sea shanty for whacked-out space travelers.
‘You’re the only one who can hold your head up high. It’s my time now… my time
now… give me my… give me my…’ duets Maynard with himself. Danny fights free of
the evil clutches of Dr Baresi and goes off on one. Adam’s guitar recalls
something off Lateralus again. It’s Triad, I think, but it’s almost impossible
to identify one riff whilst another song goes on. The musical equivalent of
rubbing one’s head and tummy simultaneously in different directions. They’re
doing this on purpose to f@!# with our heads. Bastards! Returns to full-on
rhythmic Toolishness to end. No it isn’t the end. It doesn’t end like any other
song ends. Tool never ends. I’m losing it. Therap me now, please.

Track 5 (Probably. 6min 11 sec definitely). Oooooooh. This is THE one. Ya know
what, pluggers? Radio might even go for this! Maynard’s vocals at the start are
quite extraordinary. Place equal parts of Chris De Burgh, Tiny Tim and Bilal The
Muezzin in a blender and run for your life. Easily the most commercial track to
date. In fact, easily the most commercial track Tool have EVER done. That guitar
is waaay strong again. Did Adam bribe Baresi? This is still twisted. It’s hard
but commercial. The end spells a relief as climactic as a boil bursting. I go
‘Yessssss’ and the whole room of cool jouros looks round at me as if I’m a
Bateman cartoon ‘The Man Who Ordered A Pork Sandwich In Blooms’. This is a
SERIOUSLY awesome track. Just you mark my words.

Track 6 (1min). In which Maynard becomes a Native American for no good reason.
Strange, but we like a bit of strangeness.

Track 7 (Maybe. Could be two medium length tracks and a terribly short one, too.
I’m now losing the will to live with the stopwatch. It’s 14min 45sec of music,
whatever). Guitars to the fore again. One long note with almost blues-like,
overlaid note progressions. f@!# me, it’s House Of The Rising Sun cut with
Ketamine. There are unsettling whispers and talking. Is this a bad trip or a
psychiatry session? Come to think of it, is there a difference? ‘How Are You
Today?’… ‘Tell Me Everything’ then THWACK! Into such a breathtakingly slappy,
powerful riff kick that I’m actually physically winded for a nanosecond.
Demonic, growling, rap noise over rhythmic heavy heavy groove. Forget the Were
Rabbit jibe. This is a f@!# full-on, nasty, shaven headed WEREWOLF. A lightbulb
goes mental in the room. The Record Company almost lose all cool and run for it.
I damn nearly join them but now I AM crying. I am gulping back wracking sobs at
the sheer Toolishness of this monstrous, magnificent track. This is the real
deal. Again snippets from Lateralus. You ARE playing with us. You ARE! This is
Tool’s equivalent of ‘spot the Hitchcock in the Hitchcock film’! But I don’t
care. It’s like The Best Of Tool in one song. The Bomb. It ends like the violent
end of a violent life. And then it ends again. Unless that’s another track, of
course….

Track 8 (6min 44sec). Odd noises. Sea shore meets ironworks. Ever see the
cartoon meisterwerk ‘Spirited Away’? You MUST! In it there is a character called
Kamajii The Boiler Keeper who has 6 arms and an army of small black coals. This
sound is similar. Soon joined by elastic bass and drum twangling over
multi-layered Maynard whisperings and chanted vox. Shades of Pink Floyd again.
Shades of the more ‘moody’ Lateralus tracks again. Reflection. Disposition.
Tribal and hypnotic.

Track 9 (9min 04sec. I think). Melodic, slow, hypnotic. Almost balladic. Wall of
Sound build-up. Danny does some Bamboo pole-type drumming into big rif***e. Big,
big sound. Tool at their weightiest. It’s almost Chinese at the end. I can think
of worse things to be like. Perhaps the boys have their eyes on the World’s
fastest developing market?

Track 10 (OK it’s 11 but I’m f@!# if I can work out how we got here). The walk
out track (their description not mine). Oddness. The Noodles of Satan.

And that’s it. First playback and Maynard bids us farewell. ‘Hope you enjoyed
it. If you didn’t we could put on a little Green Day for you?’. Second playback
and Justin apologises for not being The Arctic Monkeys. We smoodge and chatter.
We remember that Danny is actually the World’s nicest (and tallest) man. If only
I could feel as comfy in my skin as he does. That’s it – go on, compare my
insides with his outsides. We rejoice in the fact that ¼ of Tool is, in fact,
English. We clamber onto our pushbike past legions of hoodies whilst the Tool
Carnival ups and offs to Amsterdam. f@!# knows where THAT playback will take
place but I have a shrewd idea or two…

And here is an interview with the band from Kerrang! magazine:

Tool are the final headline act to be announced for this years Download festival. The three day-event, which takes place at Donington Park on June 9,10,11 will see the enigmatic LA art-metallers closing the proceedings on the Friday evening on the Main stage. It will be the band's first UK appearance since 2002.

"Were really excited, " says bassist Justin Chancellor. "Its a huge honour for us to be asked to close Friday night at the horny mother of English rock festivals. I always imagined playing Donington as a kid, so I wont be taking this opportunity lightly. This is the kind of experience weve been patiently working towards - cant wait, see all you bastards there!"

Tool are gearing up to return with their first new collection of material since 2001's gargantuan 'Lateralus'. Kerrang! was granted an exclusive listening session to the just-completed, as yet-untitled fourth album, which is due out May, and can reveal that anyone expecting the shadowy Californian quartet to have gone soft with age willl be sorely disappointed. True to form, Tools upcoming opus is a 77-minute prog-metal odyssey, packed with plenty of eight minute-plus twisted riff-a-thons, odd-tempo polyrhythms and the bands trademark, eerie interludes. Its also arguably their heaviest, most punishing material since their 1993 breakthrough album 'undertow'.
The upcoming 11-track album has certainly been the bands most laborious and challenging record to complete, taking a mammoth five years to write (some of the material stems from pre-lateralus sessions), during which keenan recorded and toured with his other band A perfect Circle.
Tool also spent five months, in the company of QOTSA/Melvins engineer Joe Barresi, in three different LA studios over autumn 2005 recording it.

"Weve all been listening to a lot of Meshuggah" admits guitrist Adam Jones. "I see a lot fo them in us and us in them, and they really have a very experimental prog side to them. I dont think it was like, 'Okay right here were going to play like Meshuggah', but more, 'Oh my god thats come out a messhugah moment'."

"We have the most retarted president weve ever had, and were frustrated and thats the reason its a little heavier this time" reveals drummer Danny Carey. "that level of frustration back like when we first got hte band together: we were products of that fucking Reagan thing, we were pissed off and bummed-out, we had that angst, and now its coming forth again: like it or not were products of our environment. Were pissed off again"

No stranger to weaving social and political frustrations into his tortuously articulate lyrics, singer MJK who released the politically-motivated covers album, 'eMOTIVEe' with APC in 2004, has chosen another approach this time around.

"I think for me, and this is just personally, the last few years have really been crushing" Keenan confesses. "For me, as an artist, I needed to see on some level if speaking my mind would actually inspire people - you see the sky falling and you feel like youve got to say something. I think of prior tool albums 'AEnema' and 'Lateralus', lyrically, I had this idea of trying to share things and push some kind of higher purpose - enlightenment, this global consciousness thing - and everything thats going on nowadays has kind of left me a little disappointed, a little bummed.

"So I think on this album Ive talked more about my personal stuff, things that I needed to get off my chest," he adds. "Its a little cynical and its almost like coming from a sad place. Theres some hope in it, but its more back to rock and roll basics, just experessing some very big sadness thats from the gut."

"This is our blues record, were singing the blues!" Jokes Carey.

"The difference is before, we had that young spunk and we thought we could actually say something and help people realise these thigns, " continues Keenan. "But now, the anger is more of a frustrated anger, and me sitting back and going, 'Okay, im going to shut up now, Im going to stop ranting and trying to be chicken little telling you that the sky is falling, Im going to just let you guys get hit in the head'."

Tools as-yet-untitled album is due to hit shelves in May.

Here are some confirmed tour dates (none are in the U.S.):

May 26th Lisbon, POR - Superrock Festival
May 27th Madrid, SPA - Festimad
May 29th Barcelona, SPA - Razzmatazz
May 30th Lyon, FRA - Transbordeur
May 31st Luxembourg City, LUX - Rockhal
June 02nd Bavaria, GER - Rock AM Ring
June 03rd Nuremberg, GER - Rock IM Park
June 04th Landgraaf, NET - Pink Pop Festival
June 06th Hamburg, GER - Sporthalle
June 07th Berlin, GER - Columbiahalle
June 08th Dusseldorf, GER - Philipshalle
June 11th Glasgow, UK - Academy
June 13th Hammersmith, UK - Apollo
June 14th Hammersmith, UK - Apollo
June 16th Switzerland, SWI - Interlaken Festival
June 17th Vienna, AUT - Nova Rock Festival
June 19th Milan, ITA - Filaforum
June 21st Rome, ITA - Foro Italico
June 22nd Bologna, ITA - L R Arena
June 24th Katowice, POL - Spodek
June 25th Prague, CZE - T Mobile Arena
June 27th Amsterdam, NET - HMH
June 28th Paris, FRA - Le Zenith
June 29th Werchter, BEL - Werchter Festival
July 01st Roskildge, DEN - Roskilde Festival
July 04th Kristiansand, NOR - Quart Festival
July 07th Gothenburg, SWE - Metal Town Festival
July 09th Turku, FIN - Turku Festival

I'm so excited for this CD, it's almost ridiculous. The next two months are going to move like frozen molasses for me.

89981 03-01-06 04:28 PM

http://www.solihullskate.co.uk/pics/tool1.jpg
http://www.solihullskate.co.uk/pics/tool2.jpg

caiman 03-01-06 05:01 PM

Awesome! Thanks. That's one of the more clear pics I've seen of the band. Here it is combined and reduced:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7307/toolpic6xc.jpg

FantasticVSDoom 03-01-06 06:39 PM

:up:...Very excited.

mndtrp 03-01-06 09:21 PM

Tool is cool. I'll buy it the day it comes out. I'm always interested in the packaging as well. Easily some of the best out there.

Corvin 03-02-06 04:58 PM

Awesome news. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Thrush 03-03-06 12:01 AM

" Its also arguably their heaviest, most punishing material since their 1993 breakthrough album 'undertow'.

Nice.

G-Rex 03-03-06 10:40 AM

The next TOOL album is called "10,000 days"

tacos 03-03-06 05:23 PM

Any idea when a single will be released?

caiman 03-04-06 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by tacos
Any idea when a single will be released?

The TOOL Page says that April 17th is the date radio stations can start playing the new single.

J-Dubya 03-04-06 11:43 AM

track 7 "it’s House Of The Rising Sun cut with Ketamine"

can't fucking wait!

tacos 03-04-06 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
track 7 "it’s House Of The Rising Sun cut with Ketamine"

can't fucking wait!

Where did you see that at?

Obey The D 03-04-06 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tacos
Where did you see that at?

In the review thats posted on this page. :p

Capo2002 03-09-06 06:37 PM

new album "10,000 days" will be released on May 2nd and the single will be out April 17th.

caiman 03-11-06 01:17 AM

Toolband.com has posted the track listing:

TRACK LISTINGS FOR 10,000 DAYS
Here's the track listing for the new TOOL ALBUM entitled 10,000 DAYS set to be released on MAY 2nd, 2006.

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings For Marie (Pt 1)
10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)
The Pot
Lipan Conjuring
Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)
Rosetta Stoned
Intension
Right In Two
Viginti Tres

89981 03-14-06 11:57 PM

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...338F1Y3NFU317W heres a supposed new song from the 10,000 days cd

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3898/tool114dz.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2465/tool215wy.jpg

2 new tool pics

DarthMarino 03-15-06 09:41 AM

I'd wager thats not a new Tool song. More likely song demo from a band that was inspired by Tool. Conveniently there is no clear singing.

starseed1981 03-15-06 10:39 AM

Lateralus didn't leak until 4 days before it's official release. I doubt this one will be either.