Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How many versions of the Doctor Who theme music are there?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been listening to MP3's as I surf and, being in a TV mood, listened to some of my favorite TV themes like The Avengers, The Professionals, Thunderbirds, and, of course, Doctor Who.

I have three MP3's of Doctor Who. The original theme music from the television series and two versions of the theme music. One by a band called Orbital, and another by The Time Lords.

What I want to know is, how many more are there? And, has a Heavy Metal band ever played the theme? When Metallica was basically Metal, I always imagined them playing the theme music. I have always thought it would sound awesome.

Anyone have any info? Or, is this another thread I've killed( and I have killed many. More than I've killed kittens, in fact)?
Old 12-31-04, 12:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by smokedragon
.... has a Heavy Metal band ever played the theme? When Metallica was basically Metal, I always imagined them playing the theme music. I have always thought it would sound awesome.
The only band qualified to produce such a cover goes by the name of Hawkwind. I must drop a line to Dave Brock!
Old 01-02-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been listening to MP3's as I surf and, being in a TV mood, listened to some of my favorite TV themes like The Avengers, The Professionals, Thunderbirds, and, of course, Doctor Who.

I have three MP3's of Doctor Who. The original theme music from the television series and two versions of the theme music. One by a band called Orbital, and another by The Time Lords.

What I want to know is, how many more are there? And, has a Heavy Metal band ever played the theme? When Metallica was basically Metal, I always imagined them playing the theme music. I have always thought it would sound awesome.

Anyone have any info? Or, is this another thread I've killed( and I have killed many. More than I've killed kittens, in fact)?
Just looking at mine, I have a couple different tv versions, the Orbital one, and a couple others. One by some band called KLF, and one by Coldcut -- remix I think.
Old 01-02-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
It was written and originally performed by Ron Grainger of the BBC. Pink Floyd was especially inspired by it and used it as a basis for one of their classics, "One Of These Days."

JANK the music master

ps I have several variations of Grainger's theme as the show evolved through the doctors. The Tom Baker version is prolly the most mature version.
Old 01-02-05, 04:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

The late Ron Grainer (with one "g") did lots of TV themes over the years.

There was a play about Delia Derbyshire, the uncredited co-composer of the Dr Who music, on BBC Radio over the holidays.

I don't have Real Audio but the play may still be listenable here.... although the few minutes I caught by accident were quite dry.

Check here for more info concerning "official" DW themes:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...es/DWTheme.htm
Old 01-02-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Just looking at mine, I have a couple different tv versions, the Orbital one, and a couple others. One by some band called KLF, and one by Coldcut -- remix I think.
The KLF and The Timelords are the same band. The KLF recorded "Doctorin' The Tardis", which was a combination of the Doctor Who theme and Gary Glitter's "Rock And Roll Pt. II", under the guise of The Timelords.
Old 01-05-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the TV show itself had the following versions... 1960's theme, 1970's theme (which wasn't much different at all from the 60's version), the 80's "starfield" version used in the Peter Davison (5th Doctor), Colin Baker (6th Doctor) era as well as Tom Bakers last Season and the McCoy (7th Doctor) version used in the late 80's. there's also the 1996 TV Movie version with Paul McGann the 9th Doctor.

If you have any of the DVD's released in 2004 for the 40th anniv it had the Orbital video on it.