Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert have you seen that most impresses other people?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert have you seen that most impresses other people?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have seen pearl jam and radiohead both great,but my husband has seen alot of really great shows from ozzy to u2(we will be seeing three or more of the u2 shows on this years tour)....
Old 01-26-05, 09:44 AM

Radiohead
Roseland Ballroom, New York (October 11, 2000) Kid A tour.

This concert was near impossible to get into because of the demand.
Got lucky off the WASTE site with the ticket lottery, a very memorable show.
Old 01-26-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
The main one that seems to impress people lately is my having seen the Pixies a few times before the breakup.

Other odd ones were seeing Jewel yodeling before a Peter Murphy show and Nine Inch Nails also opening up for Peter Murphy (on seperate occasions).
Old 01-26-05, 09:50 AM

Pearl Jam 10/28/03 Santa Barbara - the Acoustic and then Some show with Temple of the Dog reunion.

Mudvayne do a rock session at a recording studio in Philly.. picture a small room with a few couches and a recliner and about 30 people and mudvayne playing 10 feet infront of you. excellent
Old 01-26-05, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nirvana at the Black Cat in '88

The Pixies at U2's Zoo TV tour in 92

Yo La Tengo, Hoboken NJ Homecoming show, new years eve 1999

Tibetan Freedom Concert D.C., '98- the one where a bolt of lightning entered the stadium and hit a girl about 20 rows from where I was. Show was stopped, chaos ensued.

Bikini Kill at a party in adams morgan D.C. in '90

GN'R at R.F.K. Stadium D.C. in '91
Old 01-26-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boston george
Wutang Clan with Rage against the Machine
I was there and I wasn't impressed.

I've mentioned being the first person in to the first Pixies gig in NYC at the recent reunion tour. Here's the photo from the CD of the 12/11/04 concert. That's me directly to the right of the guitar, with the big honking smile on my face. That smile was plastered there for a week.

Here are the pics I took at that show...

And some people here were impressed with the pics I snapped at the Public Enemy/Living Colour show...

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 01-26-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good god reading this thread is making me feel quite the geezer. And I'm only 46.

Let's see where to start. Dates maybe off due to the haze of time (and other things)

1974 Aerosmith and Black Sabbath
1974 George Harrison
1975 Led Zeppelin
1975 Eric Clapton
1975 Mott the Hoople on Broadway
1976 David Bowie (Diamond Dogs)
1976 Pink Floyd
1976 The Who
1976 The Greatful Dead
1976 Bowie
1977 The Police (CBGBs)
1977 The B52s (CBGBs)
1977 The Ramones (everywhere)
1978 (?) The Clash (Academy of Music)
1979 The Who
1979 The Stones
1980 or 81 U2 (Ritz)
1981 REM (Ritz)
1981 DEVO

edit: I forgot Elvis Costello everytime he was in NY during his angry young man days. And the Talking Heads too.

I must have been to over 1000 concerts in all. I have hearing loss to prove it. I even have some of the old ticket stubs.

Would it impress some? Maybe. But so what, my wife has been to just as many, if not more.

Last edited by garolo; 01-26-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Late summer of 1976 in London seeing an all night show at Islington Screen on the Green featuring The Sex Pistols, The Clash and the Buzzcocks.

Howard Devoto was singing in the Buzzcocks and Keith Levine (PIL) was in the Clash. Siouxsie Sioux danced topless in between acts (not much tittage there). Spotted in the audience was Sid Vicious and what would become Billy Idol. I don't remember the show costing a lot of money.
Old 01-27-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilpants
Late summer of 1976 in London seeing an all night show at Islington Screen on the Green featuring The Sex Pistols, The Clash and the Buzzcocks.

Howard Devoto was singing in the Buzzcocks and Keith Levine (PIL) was in the Clash. Siouxsie Sioux danced topless in between acts (not much tittage there). Spotted in the audience was Sid Vicious and what would become Billy Idol. I don't remember the show costing a lot of money.

Now that, impresses me.
Old 01-27-05, 04:33 PM

It's Hard to say what is the most impressive concert

A Perfect Circle - Nine Inch Nails
Third Row at a Smashing Pumpkins Concert
Sarstock: AC/DC - The Rolling Stones

Sarstock is not a big deal for anyone from Toronto 'cause almost everyone was there, or at least says they were, but I have my ticket to prove it.

Last edited by apchrist; 01-27-05 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilpants

That is pretty impressive! Was Idol that noticable being just another punk in the audience that you would be able to recognize him years later?
Old 01-27-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my dad saw zeppelin at the baltimore arena in either 69 or 70. when doing whole lot of love, jimmy used what look liked a small brick to make the wierd noises during the middle part of the song.
Old 01-27-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had front row center for Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young. Some people are impressed with that and some couldn't care less.
Old 01-28-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
That is pretty impressive! Was Idol that noticable being just another punk in the audience that you would be able to recognize him years later?
No, at the time he had black hair, black sunglasses (in the club) and wore cheap mohair suits and always shoved his way to the front of the stage. I thought "who is this annoying guy?", but two years later I got the Caroline Coon book and he was in there sporting that look with the caption, "Billy Idol at Islington Screen on the Green".

By the way, that very same week I saw Dr. Feelgood at the Hope & Anchor playing some benefit (talk about a firetrap!) and 801 at Queen Elizabeth Hall. 801 was Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera and a host of other prog-rock heavyweights and the show was released as an album shortly after. Well worth missing Bicentennial week for, eh?