Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

DMB Live series

Old 12-12-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
DMB Live series

I just did a search and realized there's no thread on this. DMB is releasing a series of live shows (ala Live Phish) through their website. Just wanted to get the info out there for any fans that didn't know about it. You can order them as cd's or as downloads.
I just got the first show and it's pretty sweet. Very mellow, jazzy sound on most of the songs, plus Tim Reynolds and Bela Fleck step in for some songs. Here's the setlist for the first release (12.8.98 Centrum, Worcester, MA):

DISC 1

01 - Seek Up
02 - Linus and Lucy
03 - Pantala Naga Pampa > Rapunzel
04 - Satellite
05 - Don't Drink the Water
06 - Jimi Thing
07 - Stay (Wasting Time)

DISC 2

01 - #41
02 - So Much To Say > Anyone Seen the Bridge?
03 - Too Much
04 - Drive In, Drive Out
05 - Tripping Billies
06 - I'll Back You Up
07 - The Last Stop

I've got the 2nd show (9.12.2004 Golden Gate Park, San Francisco) on pre-order (http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...34&band_id=623) so maybe that'll get here by Christmas.

Setlist for 2nd show:
One Sweet World
What would you Say
So Much to Say -> Rapunzel
Joy Ride
Best of What's Around
Lie In Our Graves
The Stone
Drive In Drive Out
Loving Wings
Where Are You Going
Hello Again
Jimi Thing
Warehouse
Sugar Will
All Along the Watchtower
Stay

Encore:
Everyday
Too Much

Joy Ride and Sugar Will are new songs that'll be on the next album, so I'm pretty excited about hearing them.
Old 12-13-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I thought about getting one of these. The thing is, the past couple live albums they've released have been mediocre (The Gorge, Central Park) to downright horrible (Folsom Field). I just wonder about plunking down 10-15 dollars to hear something similar to what I already have.

The Golden Gate Park show has been called pretty mediocre as well (according to the reviews that I've heard). I've heard the new songs, and they're not too bad. Again, I just wonder if the sound/performance quality will be any better than the average shn or mp3 that you can download online for free.
Old 12-13-04, 01:38 PM

It takes 2 discs for 14 songs? How long are these songs?
Old 12-13-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
New to the DMB, Ted?
Old 12-13-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I think the #41 from this show is in the 20 minute range. Beacuse of its placement in the setlist, it would almost have to be the first track on Disk 2.

And yes, DMB live songs tend to run pretty long (especially songs like 41, Lie In Our Graves, Seek Up). Sometimes that's a really good thing, sometimes not so much.
Old 12-13-04, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Yeah, I thought about getting one of these. The thing is, the past couple live albums they've released have been mediocre (The Gorge, Central Park) to downright horrible (Folsom Field). I just wonder about plunking down 10-15 dollars to hear something similar to what I already have.

The Golden Gate Park show has been called pretty mediocre as well (according to the reviews that I've heard). I've heard the new songs, and they're not too bad. Again, I just wonder if the sound/performance quality will be any better than the average shn or mp3 that you can download online for free.
The Central Park show is one of the best shows DMB has ever done. There was a raw energy they played with that most people have never heard before. Just an amazing all-around show.

As for the sound quality, the first release was incredible. The mix was outstanding and I would expect the GGP show to be just as good. Don't forget that Santana guests on a few songs so it should be pretty solid show to have.
Old 12-14-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MFRONE
The Central Park show is one of the best shows DMB has ever done. There was a raw energy they played with that most people have never heard before. Just an amazing all-around show.
agreed x 100.
Old 12-14-04, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
New to the DMB, Ted?
Actually, I have all of their studio albums (plus the Lillywhite Sessions). But still, it takes more than 80 minutes to play 14 songs??
Old 12-14-04, 11:48 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for a show with more new songs. They played 5 new ones when I saw them in July.
Old 12-15-04, 09:56 PM

I don't think they are going to release another "new" show (circa 2004) for quite a while. A show from the 2000 summer tour or 1997 tour would be awesome.
Old 12-17-04, 12:02 PM

for those of you who've ordered the first set from DMB.com...can you post some pics of the art and packaging? i've been wondering how they'd package these. i was hoping for a digipak or even a jewel case but am expecting a gatefold cardboard sleeve. just curious.
Old 02-05-05, 12:54 AM

Live Trax Vol. 3...

Setlist for volume 3 was released today:
Dave Matthews Band
August 27, 2000
Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, CT

Dancing Nancies G1
Seek Up ...> G1
Linus And Lucy ...> G1
Pantala Naga Pampa ...> G1
Rapunzel G1
I'll Back You Up G1
Busted Stuff G1
Recently G1
Raven G1
The Maker G1
Grey Street G1
Grace Is Gone G1
Say Goodbye G1
Bartender G1
JTR G1
Ants Marching G1
Encore:
The Stone G1
Drive In Drive Out G1

Guests:
G1 Butch Taylor
It can be pre-ordered here: http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...33&band_id=290

Confirmation e-mail says it won't actually be released until March 17th.
Old 02-05-05, 03:59 AM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the discs. I am a big fan but I rarely if ever frequent the website. So this is the first that I heard of discs, and will most likely be picking them up soon. Just a question for the die-hards out there. I came across the 6 disc version of "the Gorge" does anyone have a set list for all three nights, or know where I can find out what went down.

bcd
Old 02-05-05, 01:35 PM

I found a link to where it's sold, but there wasn't any setlist info. You can try antsmarching.org. They have a forum that almost as big as dvdtalk. A search there would probably pull up an old thread about it.
Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on the set. I bought the 2 disc of The Gorge, and wasn't that impressed. It felt like there was something missing from it. LiveTrax Vol. 1 and the Central Park set are far superior to The Gorge, IMO. LiveTrax Vol. 2 is decent, but nothing spectacular.
Old 02-05-05, 02:14 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-05, 10:49 PM

go to www.nancies.org and, more specifically, www.nancies.org/tour for your DMB tour date/setlist needs.
Old 02-09-05, 01:27 AM

They are packaged in digipack. Vol.3 looks good. I didn't get vol. 2 because I wasn't that impressed with the show. For the older shows they are really digging out some gems.

If any of you want some lossless recordings I might be able to help out. Many of the older shows are available as soundboard recordings for free(they stopped allowing soundboard recordings in 1996).

Last edited by garyb; 02-09-05 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-09-05, 09:40 AM

I've been tempted by these several times, I consider myself a huge DMB fan, seen them live a number of times, I'll be driving from south florida to New Orleans to see them play at the NO Jazz Fest at the end of April, however I find that I enjoy fan recordings so much more than their official releases. Practically 90%+ of their shows are available via community trading and there's so much more to hear than these few official releases they put out. You'll never see a Blue Water Baboon Farm or Hold Me Down on an official release...
Old 02-09-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by fliggil
You'll never see a Blue Water Baboon Farm or Hold Me Down on an official release...
Not if they dig deep enough. People thought this about Help Myself and now it's on Central Park.
Old 02-09-05, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by garyb
Not if they dig deep enough. People thought this about Help Myself and now it's on Central Park.
Help Myself was also on the Scream 2 soundtrack, years previous to the CP show.
Old 02-09-05, 02:35 PM

Help Myself was also on the Scream 2 soundtrack, years previous to the CP show.
I know, but that wasn't live. Blue Water isn't that far fetched considering it was played a good amount early on.

Last edited by garyb; 02-09-05 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 02:52 PM

Not live, but it made it certainly provided some popularity for the song, whereas if you don't have any early recordings (pre-94), you pretty much would only have had a very slight chance of hearing a tease. I'd love to see an official release with some of the older songs but I'm not sure they want to bring those songs back into the light, there's a reason for something or another why a lot of songs stopped getting played.
Old 02-09-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love to hear a good recording of the show they played with the orchestra (I think it was around V'tines day 95 or 96). The copy I heard was barely audible.
Old 02-09-05, 03:30 PM

I've been tempted by these several times, I consider myself a huge DMB fan, seen them live a number of times, I'll be driving from south florida to New Orleans to see them play at the NO Jazz Fest at the end of April, however I find that I enjoy fan recordings so much more than their official releases. Practically 90%+ of their shows are available via community trading and there's so much more to hear than these few official releases they put out. You'll never see a Blue Water Baboon Farm or Hold Me Down on an official release...
True, most of their stuff is out their, but I've found the audio quality on a lot of it to be subpar. I've got a few fan recordings, and on a couple I can actually hear crowd conversations over the music. Drives me nuts.
The show released as Vol. 1 should be required listening for a DMB fan, regardless of whether you pay for it or find a recording of it somewhere. Butch Taylor adds so much to the band. I'd say it's the best commercially-released show out there right now. Well... tied for 1st with Central Park. Vol. 2 isn't nearly as good.
I'm stoked for Vol. 3. A lot of people over at antsmarching.org place in their top 10 for best show ever.
fliggil- you've got me curious now about those 2 songs you mentioned. I don't think I've ever heard of them. Got any recmmendations on a good show I can hunt down with those songs?
Old 02-09-05, 03:50 PM

Audience recordings vary greatly in quality. I've heard some that sound spectacular.

Tom, I can hook you up with those songs. Also here's my dmb list if you want a particular show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.