Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mariah Carey 'The Emancipation of Mimi' (Platinum Edition) due 11/15

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 10:15 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Mariah 'Emancipated' On New Album

Mariah Carey returns to her pop and R&B roots on her new album, "The Emancipation of Mimi," albeit with major dollops of hip-hop. On several tracks previewed for Billboard.com, Carey offers less vocal acrobatics than on recent efforts, proving that less can indeed be more.

Due March 29 via Island Def Jam, the new set will be preceded by the single "Say Something," produced by the Neptunes and featuring Snoop Dogg. Due to hit U.S. radio outlets in January, the slinky, sensual hip-hop jam sports intermittent machine gun-styled beats,

A longtime supporter of club remixes, Carey has commissioned David Morales, Peter Rauhofer and former Pound Boys member David C. to remix "Say Something."

Other album tracks previewed for Billboard.com include the Jermaine Dupri-produced "Get Your Number," a feel-good, dancefloor-primed R&B number that smartly references Imagination's early-'80s top 30 R&B hit, "Just an Illusion." It spotlights the vocals of Dupri, who also helmed the track "Shake You Off."

Carey handled the bulk of the writing on "The Emancipation of Mimi" and also produced the power ballad "Mine Again." Less adult contemporary and more Gladys Knight, the old-school song is signature Carey.

The album also features contributions from producer Kanye West and rappers Nelly and Twista. It's the follow-up to 2002's "Charmbracelet," which debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and has sold more than 1.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

-- Michael Paoletta, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000719601

I'm looking forward to this release. The title is a lot different from her previous weird girly titles.
Old 11-15-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll always give props for her voice on her first five albums [Christmas album included -- up 'til Daydream [and parts of Butterfly]] and her remix work.

However, i'm wondering...if this reporter thinks she's "returning" to her pop and R&B roots, what were her previous albums?

Whatever. I'll be skipping this one. The Neptunes are overrated [production-wise] and I LOATHE Jermaine Dupri [even before Janet..].

What a shame that Puffy turned Mariah out..
Old 11-16-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Who the hell is Mimi?
Old 11-16-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
Who the hell is Mimi?
Perhaps the nickname of her ussy-pay
Old 11-16-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Perhaps the nickname of her ussy-pay
Perhaps. There's no telling where that thing's been.
Old 11-16-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I hope there is a tribute to ODB.
Old 11-16-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They went back like baby with pacifier.

I'm no liar.
Old 11-16-04, 08:50 PM

Here's what Mariah had to say on the title :

"Mimi" is a very personal nickname only used by those closest to me...just one of those little things that I've kept for myself in an attempt to have some delineation between a public persona and a private life. By naming the album ''The Emancipation of Mimi'' I am letting my guard down and inviting my fans to be that much closer to me. Most importantly, I am celebrating the fact that I've grown into a person and artist who no longer feels imprisoned by my insecurities or compelled to try and live up to someone else's vision of "Mariah Carey". I now feel I can honestly say "this is me, the real me, take it or leave it".For the first time in my life, I feel free and unashamed to be who I really am.That's what the music of this album and it's title reflect.
Old 11-16-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm sure this really is her nickname, and it's not surprising.

"Mariah, who would you say is the most important person in your life?"
"ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
Old 11-16-04, 11:30 PM

oh please Mariah is probably one of the few celebrities who isn't into themselves. She might look like high-maintenance in interviews but really she's quite down-to-earth.
Old 04-13-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
The album's awesome!
Old 04-13-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She still looks good
Old 04-14-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
She looks as good as this record sounds..
Old 04-14-05, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
oh please Mariah is probably one of the few celebrities who isn't into themselves. She might look like high-maintenance in interviews but really she's quite down-to-earth.
Um, OK (not sure if you're serious or not)...
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=622443

BTW, more details on the red carpet incident...
http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0...175443,00.html
Old 04-14-05, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by davejt1
Um, OK (not sure if you're serious or not)...
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=622443

BTW, more details on the red carpet incident...
http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0...175443,00.html
Right because every tabloid story is true, especially the british ones...
Old 04-14-05, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Right because every tabloid story is true, especially the british ones...
Anyways this is a thread about her new album.
Old 04-14-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
she is still hot..... i would take her psychopathic ways for that tail

wait scratch that
Old 04-14-05, 01:59 PM

I bought the album on Tuesday, I really enjoy it. Say Somethin' with Snoop is my favorite track
Old 04-14-05, 09:56 PM

Pleasantly suprised with this disc. The hooks are catchy, definitely beats that make you move a little while listening.
I really got tired of her for a while but I find the album refreshing, original with a lot of hints of classy R&B without sounding dated. let me shutup now before people think I am actual fan.

Old 04-14-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kcdny
Pleasantly suprised with this disc. The hooks are catchy, definitely beats that make you move a little while listening.
I really got tired of her for a while but I find the album refreshing, original with a lot of hints of classy R&B without sounding dated.
"Original"?

and before any Mariah-philes think about gettin' snarky, that'd be more a reflection of the producers she's worked with and not her...

Also, she's on Letterman tonight..
Old 04-15-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not bad. I haven't really liked a whole Mariah disc all the way through since Daydream, yet I keep buying every CD she puts out.
Old 04-15-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
"Original"?

I'm not really a fan and haven't really liked her much since the early 90's, but she sounded absolutely fantastic on Letterman and the song was very good and catchy.
Old 04-17-05, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
"Original"?

and before any Mariah-philes think about gettin' snarky, that'd be more a reflection of the producers she's worked with and not her...

Original in the sense that it's not the same old formula from the old Mariah Carey albums. Someday, Emotions, Fantasy, while all good they were just the same old song with different lyrics.
This isn't that typical arrangement. But I have to say that I only remember that make it through the rain single from the last album, never heard the full album. Mariah fans, is this like the last album? i don;t even know the name unfortunately.
Anyway, I have actually listened to this new disc all the way through a few times and haven't gotten sick of it yet.
Great performance on Letterman.
Old 04-17-05, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by kcdny
Original in the sense that it's not the same old formula from the old Mariah Carey albums. Someday, Emotions, Fantasy, while all good they were just the same old song with different lyrics.
This isn't that typical arrangement. But I have to say that I only remember that make it through the rain single from the last album, never heard the full album. Mariah fans, is this like the last album? i don;t even know the name unfortunately.
Anyway, I have actually listened to this new disc all the way through a few times and haven't gotten sick of it yet.
Great performance on Letterman.
Her last album 'Charmbracelet' was probably her worst album vocally and production-wise. It had a few good songs but overall it was pretty rushed. Her new album is much better.
Old 04-18-05, 11:33 PM

Looks like this will be Mariah's biggest debut ever:

CHART PREVIEW: MARIAH’S EMANCIPATION TO TOPPLE 50’S MASSACRE

Should We Call It a Comeback? Diva’s Latest Hitting a Really High Note

April 18, 2005

As the counting continues this Monday morning, it looks like Mariah Carey’s new album, The Emancipation of Mimi (Island) is headed for a huge #1 debut on first-week sales that could reach as high as 400k by the time the chart is final.

That would give Carey her biggest first week ever, outpacing 1999’s Rainbow, which logged first-week sales of around 320k.

But perhaps more importantly, The Carey triumph will end 50 Cent’s six-week, nearly three-million unit run at #1 with The Massacre (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope). As it looks now, 50 is locked in a battle for #2 with Epic’s Mudvayne, whose Lost and Found is on track to sell in the neighborhood of 150k.

Meanwhile, Garbage’s Bleed Like Me (Interscope) is on track to make a #4 debut on first-week sales of over 70k.

And to round out the Top Five, it looks like it will be either Faith Evans, Now 18 or Beck, each of which looks like it will come in at around 60k.
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/....cgi?news05638

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.