Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

need heavy thrash metal with a growling singer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i heard a local modern rock station play lamb of gods "laid to rest", so now i'm hooked, and would like some suggestions of other bands of this kind (song 2 on the new slipknot is kind of what i like also.
Old 11-12-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First one that comes to mind for me would be Devildriver. Singer is Dez from Coal Chamber...their website has some of the songs for download.

For some others, how about Fear Factory or Mudvayne?
Old 11-12-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Obituary
Carcass
Napalm Death
Deicide
Death
Bolt Thrower
Old 11-12-04, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Testament
Meshuggah
The Crown
Dew Scented
The Haunted
At The Gates
Carnal Forge
Mastodon (their cd: Remission)

I'm almost certain you'll like all these bands.
Old 11-12-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Opeth. It's really all you need.
Old 11-12-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Cannibal Corpse. I've not heard much of their stuff (songs with titles like Entrails Ripped From A Virgin's **** tended to make me, shall we say, uninterested), but I remember seeing them appear briefly in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and I thought it was funny that, for the purpose of the subtitling, the only way they could interpret the growling lyrics the band's lead singer was spewing forth was "GRRRRRRR! GRRRRRRRR!"
Old 11-12-04, 08:49 AM

He's looking for thrash metal bands, not death metal as most of you are mentioning!
Old 11-12-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, he did say a growling singer. That was all I could think of. Pardon me for trying to help.
Old 11-12-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Crown, as The Black mentioned is a good thrashy/metal band.
Witchery would also be a good choice.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 11-12-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Flames - The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman
Children of Bodom (insane guitar/keyboard solos too) - Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie EP
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

There are a ton more, but this is a great list for starters.
Old 11-12-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's a fine line between what many consider thrash, metal, hardcore etc... Especially when you throw different vocal styles into the mix.

That being said:

Slayer- (Classic)You just can't go wrong with them. Reign in Blood-considered by many to be one of the greatest thrash/metal albums of all time. Their latest (God Hates Us All) also shows how timeless great thrash metal can be, 20 years after the fact, they are still ruling.

Lamb of God is also a great example. While listening to their last album "Ashes of the Wake", I often think how it sounds like they must have listened to a lot of classic thrash albums to be inspired to write such great riffage throughout this CD. Highly recommended.

I could go on and on, but start with the fundamentals, and the others will follow.

Old Metallica, Megadeth, Forbidden, Excel, Kreator, Earth Crisis, Integrity, All Out War, Buried Alive etc.......

Last edited by woofman; 11-13-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't classify Tom Araya from Slayer as a "growling singer". Same goes for Chuck Billy from Testament.
Old 11-12-04, 11:39 AM

Ghoul
The Crown
Vader
Testament(The Gathering album)
Angel Corpse
The Haunted
Pestilence
Sepultura(1st few releases)
Old 11-12-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I wouldn't classify Tom Araya from Slayer as a "growling singer". Same goes for Chuck Billy from Testament.

Very true,

However, one shouldn't count out great thrash music just because the singer screams instead of growls....
Old 11-12-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by woofman
Very true,

However, one shouldn't count out great thrash music just because the singer screams instead of growls....
True, but the original poster wanted growlers.

Actually, I'd do the opposite. I just don't understand the "cookie monster" vocals. Call me old fashioned...

The only "thrash" metal band I can get into these days is Entombed. (I know they're probably not considered "thrash".) Best workout music ever. I tend to think that THIS is what Metallica would sound like today if Cliff was still alive when they decided to go to a "simpler style".
Old 11-12-04, 07:11 PM

Shadows Fall
Testament Low and Demonic
Hatebreed
Dimmu Borgir
Old 11-12-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd just like to note here that about a year or so ago I did not like the vocal style that's considered rather harsh (but still not death metal vocals in my opinion). However, in watching the reborn Headbanger's Ball, I've become quite used to it and have come to enjoy it. Sometimes the only thing that'll work (especially in a song of pure aggression) is to scream like a motherfucker. That being said, I'd second (and third etc.) any of the following bands already mentioned:

Shadow's Fall definitely has some growling vocals to it while having what at times reminds me of classic thrash style musical structure, including guitar solos (something I miss in most current metal).

Testament, although I only followed them for an album or two with my favorite being "Practice What You Preach". There's a "scratchiness" I guess you could say to Chuck Billy's voice, and there's an occasional growl. I wonder if there stuff before that album was a bit more harsh in the vocals...

Opeth: as previously mentioned, if you want pretty much all vocal stylings covered...this band has it, and damn impressive guitar stuff to boot, with the average song probably going about 8 to 9 minutes long. The only exception to this is the last album they put out "Damnation". I don't think any songs on that album went beyond 10 minutes, and there was no growling vocals on it at all. I love it, and also thoroughly enjoy the previous two albums as well (I'm not able to find older material in the stores). Can someone tell me, does Opeth's singer use some sort of effect on his vocals for his growl? They're too "perfect", and the fact that he can change the vocals mid song is just....a bit hard to believe.

Slayer: others have mentioned it...truly classic stuff; 'nuff said.

Unmentioned stuff:

Killswitch Engage: newest album had a new singer (who's actually been touring with them for the previous 2 or so years anyway), and he's damn awesome. Most of the vocals on the album are quite harsh, and yet he sneaks in some melodic stuff from time to time. Probably my favorite album I got this year. I dunno...hard to call.

Avenged Sevenfold: another band with a singer who covers all vocal stylings, from crooning that starts to sound like Iron Maiden stuff (one song has a moment that sounds like the crowd chanting moment from "Heaven Can Wait") to damn freaky vocals at times. They too have some really cool thrashy style guitar stuff.

Skindred: sorry...just gotta plug a band that's totally grown on me. Definitely some growling vocals, definitely some good singing vocals as well, and all of it with some bizarro mix of Jamaican/British type sounding vocals. Ragga punk hip hop metal at it's finest (is there any other?)!! The coolest thing is that their music is perfect for remixes, and it seems there band website has a new(?) remix every 2 weeks I think it is. At least, I've not heard any repeat songs, but I've only heard two there thus far, both remixes, both very cool. Also the band sounds great when they play acoustic as well. The sound of the music changes, as do some of the lyrics as well. SKINDRED!!!

Last edited by harpo787; 11-12-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by harpo787
Opeth: as previously mentioned, if you want pretty much all vocal stylings covered...this band has it, and damn impressive guitar stuff to boot, with the average song probably going about 8 to 9 minutes long. The only exception to this is the last album they put out "Damnation". I don't think any songs on that album went beyond 10 minutes, and there was no growling vocals on it at all. I love it, and also thoroughly enjoy the previous two albums as well (I'm not able to find older material in the stores). Can someone tell me, does Opeth's singer use some sort of effect on his vocals for his growl? They're too "perfect", and the fact that he can change the vocals mid song is just....a bit hard to believe.
Believe it or not, I think Michael Akerfeldt can do the growl with no effects processing . If you check out the deluxe edition of Ayreon's " The Human Equation", the DVD features lots of footage of the singers recording their parts. Akerfeldt transitions from his normal singing voice into a couple of his grunts effortlessly. Pretty cool to see.

Last edited by dvduser6; 11-13-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-13-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by woofman
There's a fine line between what many consider thrash, metal, hardcore etc... Especially when you throw different vocal styles into the mix.

That being said:

Slayer- (Classic)You just can't go wrong with them. Reign in Blood-considered by many to be one of the greatest thrash/metal albums of all time. Their latest (God Hates Us All) also shows how timeless great thrash metal can be, 20 years after the fact

I could go on and on, but start with the fundamentals, and go the others will follow.

Old Metallica, Megadeth, Forbidden, Excel, Kreator, Earth Crisis, Integrity, All Out War, Buried Alive.
And

Metal Church --- Coroner --- Pantera.
Old 01-25-05, 05:25 PM

Listen to GOATWHORE !!!!
Old 01-26-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Actually Chuck Billy used to have a fantastic voice on the 1st 5 Testament albums, and at that point they were one of my favorite bands. Then when Alex Skolnick (the guitarist) left, they lost all of there melody and Chuck went to the Cookie Monster style, and has never been the same since. Sorry but I'm old school, and I can only take the growling in small doses (not on a whole album)
Old 01-26-05, 10:32 AM

You should check out ARCH ENEMY's latest album "Anthems Of Rebellion"
Old 01-26-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say something more along the lines of All Out War, Poison the Well, Hatebreed...Or more of the new school hardcore bands.
Old 01-26-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I wouldn't consider Dave Mustaine to be a growler either, but Megadeth is thrash metal. I don't listen to it much any more, but would offer up Pantera as a good choice. Cowboys From Hell was a pretty cool album.
Old 01-26-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gotta go with killswitch engage, arch enemy and kittie. You could try otep too. Opeth is awsome. Some damn good music mentioned in this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.