Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do the double-dip: 6 R.E.M. CDs to be re-released in 2-disc sets

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

The "special edition" reissues of CDs trend continues! From Pause & Play and Chromewaves, comes news that 6 R.E.M. albums from "Green" on up to "Reveal" are getting the two-disc treatment courtesy of Rhino.

On the one hand, I'm psyched, as I'd love to see 2-disc editions of "Automatic for the People" and "Out of Time" and see what kind of bonus tracks they dig up, especially if this is as good as the recent Elvis Costello re-issues program by Rhino. On the other hand, part of me HATES buying albums again and again and it really seems like this "special edition" trend is growing. On the other (third?) hand, nobody's forcing me to buy it I guess. But it'll be hard to keep the completist geek in me from wanting to buy all 6 (except maybe "Up," R.E.M.'s worst album IMHO -- and I like "Reveal" a lot).
Old 11-10-04, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the six albums?

By my count there are 7 albums from Green to Reveal...

Green
Out of Time
Automatic For the People
Monster
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Up
Reveal

Last edited by pezsoup; 11-10-04 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
You got me excited - I thought it was gonna be for REM's older '80s albums.

I would LOVE a remastered 2-cd set of Life's Rich Pageant.
Old 11-10-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll definitely get the 2 disc version of Green and Out of time. Of course, I don't have those ones yet tho.
Old 11-10-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, looking at the "Pause and Play" info there (not sure how reliable it is), "Automatic" is actually not included among that list -- which kinda blows as it's probably R.E.M.'s best album of the bunch. Imagine more info will be released over time though.
Old 11-10-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is great news!

I can't wait!

Hopefully they are similiar to the Costello reissues.
Old 11-10-04, 10:40 PM

I think the first 4 albums are about 234304495894785 times better than the ones that followed, so this is quite disappointing.*

* New Adventures in Hi-Fi is okay.
Old 11-10-04, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally posted by mike1978
I think the first 4 albums are about 234304495894785 times better than the ones that followed, so this is quite disappointing.*

Agree, that number is pretty close. I doubt I will dip on this one.
Old 11-11-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by jay77
This is great news!

I can't wait!

Hopefully they are similiar to the Costello reissues.
I really can't see REM having the kind of unreleased output that Costello has. They pretty much shot their wad on early stuff with Dead Letter Office and that was pretty weak except for a few gems (Ages of You, Bandwagon). I can't see them having a whole lot of appeal. Outtakes from UP! I'll pass.
Old 11-11-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cungar
I really can't see REM having the kind of unreleased output that Costello has. They pretty much shot their wad on early stuff with Dead Letter Office and that was pretty weak except for a few gems (Ages of You, Bandwagon). I can't see them having a whole lot of appeal. Outtakes from UP! I'll pass.
Actually, R.E.M. have dozens of B-Sides that could be included from the Warner Bros. years. Dead Letter Office only represented the I.R.S. albums and these reissues do not concern that era. On top of that, demos, remixes and live recordings could fill out those sets nicely.

Maybe you would pass on outtakes from Up but I'm sure plenty of diehard fans (myself included) would gladly pay $13.99 for some nice two disc sets.

That being said, I would wholeheartedly prefer a nice box set of unreleased or rare material.

Either way, they've got my $$.

Rhino
Old 11-11-04, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by jay77
I'm sure plenty of diehard fans (myself included) would gladly pay $13.99 for some nice two disc sets.
That'd be a definate BUY price for me...I know it's early and lil info is out...but Amazon's current $25 price simply sucks.

So what major studio owns the IRS albums? Is that studio currently putting out 2-disc remasters series (ala the Deluxe Editions series)?
Old 11-11-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I recently realized I never got Dead Letter Office on CD, is it still in print? I'd prefer the IRS Vintage version if possible.

thanks
Old 11-11-04, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I recently realized I never got Dead Letter Office on CD, is it still in print? I'd prefer the IRS Vintage version if possible.

thanks
The domestic version's definately still available. The IRS Vintage should be available for a reasonable price, but it may take some searching. Probably have better luck online.

I never snagged the IRS Vintage versions...Were they remasters? or just international releases with bonus tracks put on?
Old 11-11-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe I'm in the minority that likes "newer" REM (Green and after) better than "older" REM, so I'm happy about this personally.

But as far as double-dipping, I will have to see what's on the bonus tracks before I make my decision.

The new album is growing on me, especially hearing a number of the songs live about a week ago.

And I'm proud to call myself a "Monster" fan!
Old 11-12-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Are we sure these are not going to be the Dualdisc sets, with each disc being the same album, 1 cd and 1 DVD-A?
Old 11-12-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer the older stuff from Reckoning and Dead Letter Office, so I'll pass.
Old 11-12-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally posted by FrozenMetalHead
The domestic version's definately still available. The IRS Vintage should be available for a reasonable price, but it may take some searching. Probably have better luck online.

I never snagged the IRS Vintage versions...Were they remasters? or just international releases with bonus tracks put on?
I think they were just extra tracks. I was looking at the ones I do have last night and that seems to be the case.
Old 11-12-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Do the double-dip: 6 R.E.M. CDs to be re-released in 2-disc sets

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
On the other hand, part of me HATES buying albums again and again and it really seems like this "special edition" trend is growing.
I know how you feel, but at least these albums are years old. I hate the ever-increasing practice of re-releasing albums a few months to a year after they were first released (the current Entertainment Weekly has a write-up lamenting this).

I stopped buying R.E.M.'s stuff after Automatic for the People, so maybe this'll persuade me to pick up their latter-period music.
Old 11-12-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to just release a box set of all of these b-sides disc for those of us who have already paid good money to buy all their cd's already.
Old 11-13-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Zodo
They need to just release a box set of all of these b-sides disc for those of us who have already paid good money to buy all their cd's already.
A la the Cure's Join the Dots. I agree with you totally.
Old 11-16-04, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
Are we sure these are not going to be the Dualdisc sets, with each disc being the same album, 1 cd and 1 DVD-A?
There seems to be a lot of talk on the Murmurs fan forum that this is the case, unfortunately. Not that DVD-A releases would be a horrible thing, but it seems like everytime Peter Buck is interviewed prior to a new album coming out he mentions how they demo 50-60 songs per album. I'm sure theres quite a few instrumentals in that bunch, but I'd love an extra disc of non b-side rarities.
Old 11-16-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is too bad. I was looking forward to these.

I would still double dip if these were the early albums but otherwise I would pass.
Old 11-16-04, 04:29 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
Originally posted by mike1978

I could not agree more. Half of Document is ok...the IRS stuff is great...WB stuff, eh.
Old 11-16-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I came across my Chronic Town EP in the attic this week and gave it a spin on the old turntable.

It was like being in a time machine. That being said, I will not double dip on these, except maybe Automatic and ZOut of Time.

to the poster who requested LRP.
Old 11-24-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, well it seems this might not be what it sounded like to start.

According to Rolling Stone, these will be CD/DVD sets, and don't sound like they'll be loaded with extra tracks, but rather video extras. I'm probably just going to pick up one of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.