Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Has a huge fan, gotta admit the collectors edition packaging blows.

I will put it away and not play that copy again. I would buy it again for the extra song, but it will sit on the shelf.
I have to agree 100% about the LE's packaging. I have already burned a copy and shelved the LE next to U2 live at Boston. I am curious about the regular CD's booklet though.
Old 11-24-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Setzer
Atomic Bomb is U2's best album, eclipsing not only Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, but a good many 20th-century holy grails and prematurely anointed classics of the new millennium. U2 stands as rock's lone superpower, not after constantly defeating its challengers, but by constantly challenging itself.

Are people smoking crack? Better than Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Atomic Bomb does not even appraoch these two albums.
Old 11-24-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sherm42
Are people smoking crack? Better than Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Atomic Bomb does not even appraoch these two albums.
I read that review last night at work and was floored.
Old 11-24-04, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You may think it's "ridiculous" to compare HTDAAB with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! but I don't. You're entitled to your opinion but so am I and so is the reviewer. Personally, I like HTDAAB better than Achtung Baby but I don't think it tops Joshua Tree.
Old 11-24-04, 01:48 PM

I just wonder if people are deluding themselves into thinking this album is better than it is because they do not want to admit that one of their favorite bands is just not as good as they used to be. It doesn't mean that U2 are crap, but I cannot help asking myself when listening to this album:

"Would I actually like and listen to this album if it was put out by any other band? Would I have bought this if it wasn't U2?"

I'm not sure I would have bought this CD if it was a new band.
Old 11-24-04, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
I just wonder if people are deluding themselves into thinking this album is better than it is because they do not want to admit that one of their favorite bands is just not as good as they used to be. It doesn't mean that U2 are crap, but I cannot help asking myself when listening to this album:

"Would I actually like and listen to this album if it was put out by any other band? Would I have bought this if it wasn't U2?"

I'm not sure I would have bought this CD if it was a new band.
Whatever.

If you don't like it then don't buy it. Don't come here and criticize people who actually do like it.
Old 11-24-04, 02:00 PM

Did I criticize you? No.

I simply stated my opinion.

Believe me, I really want to love this album. I really really want to love it. While a few songs have improved in my mind, most of them have not.

I'm just disappointed. I can voice that disappointment here.

Last edited by sherm42; 11-24-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 02:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have just stated your opinion by saying you didn't like the album. By saying stuff like wondering if people who like it are just refusing to dislike something from one of their favorite bands is rude as it's like you saying that your opinion is better than everyone else's and since you don't like the album people that do must be deluding themselves some how.

Different strokes for different folks, music is entirely subjective. No one's opinion is more right or wrong than anyone else's.
Old 11-24-04, 02:06 PM

Please read the wording. I did not say people ARE deluding themselves, I said I WONDER IF people are deluding themselves. I was putting that out there in the hope that people would perhaps think a bit objectively about this album.

You can infer all you like whether I think everyone is deluding themselves, but that is not what I said.

Last edited by sherm42; 11-24-04 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with Sherm42 in that there a lot "superfans" that will never bash their favorite bands works, regardless, as if critisizing is somehow showing disloyalty. No doubt there are some U2 fans that fall into that category as there are those type of fans with any band.

Personally, I am the first to say it if I do not like one of my favorite artists works. Rush was probably my favorite band for 20 years, and I freely admit to hating their latest album. I could think of numerous other examples, including U2. I didn't like Zooropa very much. I do happen to love Dismantle though, for no other reason than I love listening to it.
Old 11-24-04, 02:35 PM

Hmmmm I had no problem stating ATYCLB sucked and I consider myself a big fan of U2. I'm not stating HTDAAB is good just because it's U2. It's a great Album and that's my opinion.
Old 11-24-04, 02:35 PM

Well, I will finish now with a promise. I promise to keep listening to the album and keep my mind open to it. I truly hope I come to love it.
Old 11-24-04, 02:37 PM

Oh and POP & Zooropa sucked as well.
Old 11-24-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I loved "ATYCLB" and I'm really enjoying "HTDAAB." Somebody tie me down and cut my ears off.

But if you think I'm a fanboy when it comes to my favorite bands, ask me my thoughts on DMB's "Everyday."
Old 11-24-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[Rodney King]Can't we all just get along?[/Rodney King]
Old 11-24-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
But if you think I'm a fanboy when it comes to my favorite bands, ask me my thoughts on DMB's "Everyday."
Shit, I could say the same thing about Prince, Janet, Madonna, etc..

I think it goes both ways. "Superfans" can be SUPERcritical or they can be those that think everything the artist releases is pure gold..
Old 11-24-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HTDAAB is easily the most mature and complete album U2 has ever made, IMHO. Just because AB! and JT are established classics that made the band, doesn't mean they are better than the last album. I think some people take a confrontational approach to new material and the inevitable comparisons kick in and unfairly brand new releases as less worthy... My other thought is that people can tire of a band and then just mentally move on and not want to hear from a band again. (Kinda what happened to the X-Files - even if it's still good, people have tired of it).

I think those that are on the fence should check out the new album and those that are tired of U2 should simply move on.

I do agree that the 'deluxe' set is pretty crappy.
Old 11-24-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
shameless plug #1:

for the next two hours i'll be doing a U2 "themed" radio show.

if ya wanna tune in, see the last link in my sig...
Old 11-24-04, 09:30 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I seriously can't even begin to get a sense of where so much of this negativity is coming from; considering the state of music quality on the charts/radio today, U2 could have released a CD of Bono reading from the phonebook and it would have showed more artistic ingenuity than most anything I'm hearing these days, but instead of doing that, they've released their single most accessible album (not best, mind you, that remains JOSHUA TREE, but most accessible) to date, and I'm just lovin' the hell out of this album. C'mon, VERTIGO, MIRACLE DRUG, CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS, YAHWEH (which even a non-theist like myself can be transported by) and the absolutely jaw-dropping, thunderously ominous LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE, which is fast becoming my favorite track of the whole disc because it's just so rhythmically nasty and whatever U2 may be, they're never this darkly swanky--it's so great to seem them really break new ground like this 24 years down the road. If HTDAAB ain't your bag, I can only retort that you're musical tastes are so far off my map, I'm not even sure we're operating in the same galaxy...
Old 11-24-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
shameless plug #1:

for the next two hours i'll be doing a U2 "themed" radio show.

if ya wanna tune in, see the last link in my sig...
I'm enjoying it, Rogue, but a correction:
I've Got You Under My Skin isn't from a benefit album, it's from Frank's Duets album (1993). You're right that they weren't in the same studio, but I always think back to the hilarious SNL skit with Phil Hartman and Adam Sandler when I hear it.

Old 11-24-04, 11:45 PM
Banned

just bought and listened to the album a few hours ago. First impression: it's good, better than ATYCLB, but not great and absolutely nowhere near the brilliance of Achtung, Joshua, War or Unforgettable Fire. That is all.
Old 11-24-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd recommend you listen a few more times before making an ultimate assesment. This album grew on me like mold in wet sheetrock.

I thought the worst two songs I had heard were 'A Man and A Woman' and 'Crumbs...' but now I think they are the best. It's amazing what some patience and investment into music can show you.
Old 11-25-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Decker
I'm enjoying it, Rogue, but a correction:
I've Got You Under My Skin isn't from a benefit album, it's from Frank's Duets album (1993).
Thanks for listening. Yeah, I got it confused with Nenah Cherry [and the fact that U2 was on the album too didn't help..].
Old 11-25-04, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

after listening to the cd the first time, it's much better than the stuff i heard on the internet. i really enjoy the fact that they're back to using some of the old guitar sounds. that's pleasant. it's not as "electronic" feeling as ATYCLB. i also don't think vertigo sucks as much as i had originally thought. sure, it's cheesy, and it doesn't fit fantastically with the rest of the songs, but it's a great way to open a new album, and get everyone's attention.

i'd say 4/5. another great effort by a great rock band. can't wait to see them tour again!
Old 11-25-04, 09:18 AM

on my second go through and i will concede that it's growing on me... but i have a hard time believing that it will eclipse Rattle and Hum (my favorite as it was my introduction to music in general!!), Joshua Tree or War (their 3 best, in my book). it has good potential though, i'll give you that!
-di doctor-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.