Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Avril's got a burr in her ass

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Avril's got a burr in her ass

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
For some reason, rock musicians have to write their own material. I've never understood it. Jazz artists do entire albums of another artist's work all the time and get critical aclaim. Virtually every country artist uses or has used outside writers. Huge performers like Sinatra never wrote anything. But lunkheads in rock bands are virtualy required to write their own stuff or they're considered corporate whores. It's a shame, because a lot of bands could benefit greatly from some outside help in the songwriting department.
Exactly. I've always wondered that as well. Some could use the help, but then you risk getting crap like Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing."

As for Sinatra and Elvis, they were entertainers.
Old 11-01-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
For some reason, rock musicians have to write their own material. I've never understood it. Jazz artists do entire albums of another artist's work all the time and get critical aclaim. Virtually every country artist uses or has used outside writers. Huge performers like Sinatra never wrote anything. But lunkheads in rock bands are virtualy required to write their own stuff or they're considered corporate whores. It's a shame, because a lot of bands could benefit greatly from some outside help in the songwriting department.
The real problem is when non-rock artists are criticized by rock standards. And that happens all too often around this forum.
Here is a good article on the very subject.
Old 11-01-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hollowgen
Edgar Winter got back!

Actually, if that's the worst she ever looks, she beats the hell out of a lot of celebrities without makeup. She actually has nice features. She's just pale and pink.

I've always considered musicians that lip-synch, outside of videos where it usually doesn't make a bit of difference, to be more models than musicians. Britney would be shacked up and smoking two packs a day in between changing diapers if it weren't for her currently flagging looks and a pretty sharp PR crew 'cause she has the musical ability of plankton. Same for Ashlee SImpson, etc.
Old 11-01-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about lip-synching in concerts with a huge amount of dancing and spectacle (every pop concert to thread)?
Old 11-02-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Fuck him for breaking up G N'R.
Old 11-02-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Ray Charles greatest hits album and I was stunned to see that out of twenty songs on it, only two had Ray Charles' name on it for a writing credit.

Ray Charles was a corporate whore and clearly a no talent hack!!! Musical genius, indeed!