Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Donnas DualDisc: Will the new format help CD sales?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Donnas DualDisc: Will the new format help CD sales?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Went to Best Buy today and they said they were told to pull them yesterday.

Went to Circuit City and tried to price match. The guy said the computer wouldn't let them ring the cd and he didn't know why.

He offered to price match the normal issue for $9.99. It's $13.99 at BB.
Old 10-28-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, BB gave me a raincheck for when it does get fixed.
Old 10-29-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is Atlantic Records' brilliant solution to the situation:

A number of you have spotted a production error on the CD-side of the GOLD MEDAL DualDisc. This mistake occurred at Atlantic's production plant, and we're sorry to report that the error is present on the entire run. Specifically, the final track "Have You No Pride" cuts off after 58 seconds on the CD side. However, if you listen to the DVD side, you can still enjoy the track in its entirety in 5.1 Surround Sound.

If you would like to return the DualDisc, please go back to your local retailer with your original receipt and they will replace it with the regular GOLD MEDAL CD. Feel free to keep the special black velvet limited edition cover. Unfortunately, the DualDisc is being recalled from all stores and will NOT be re-manufactured immediately, although we hope to announce plans for another run at a later date (stay tuned to The Donnas web site for details).

If you decide to keep the DualDisc, please email us at: [email protected] - and we'll provide you with a free, CD-quality download of "Have You No Pride."

Atlantic Records deeply regrets this situation, and we would like to extend our apologies to The Donnas fans and to the band.
Personally I think this is a pretty piss-poor way to fix this problem. The run was only 50,000 copies and a significant number of those were recalled. How much could it have cost to correct the run and offer replacements?

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-29-04 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I was day late. Well screw it. I'll wait to see if it comes out again or just get it used later on.
Old 10-29-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Now I'm curious how many of the 50,000 got out before the recall.

Too bad they won't make it available even for those who know of the problem. I probably would've picked it up even with the CD side problem since I can always listen to the song on the 5.1 side.
Old 10-30-04, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The file they link you to doesn't work on a Mac. Typical.