Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen at it again?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen at it again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
And BTW...music snobs should LIKE Rockstar_____ because it gives alot of talented, unsigned frontmen/women national exposure
Yes, but the singer they chose to take over Michael Hutchence's place is just gawdawful.

That crappy "Dirty Vegas" song that's being run into the ground on VH-1 and every adult contemporary outlet imaginable defines the term "craptastic."

What happened to VH-1's "Bands on the Run?" I was hopelessly hooked to that series. Why was there never a Season 2.
Old 02-14-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The best example of this is Humans Being. What a monster verse riff and pounding vocal line.

Then the chorus about love.

Fucking bullhonkey nipshit.
I actually like Humans Being alot. It's one of the best songs from the Sammy era.
Old 02-14-06, 01:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I actually like Humans Being alot. It's one of the best songs from the Sammy era.
Agreed - actually it's my favorite Van Hagar song.

Regarding Rock Star, I wouldn't mind seeing VH on there. I'm only a fan of the Roth-era stuff anyway, which seems like light years ago. VH doesn't have a footprint in music today and if this gives them a chance to change that, then so be it.
Old 02-14-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Agreed - actually it's my favorite Van Hagar song.

Regarding Rock Star, I wouldn't mind seeing VH on there. I'm only a fan of the Roth-era stuff anyway, which seems like light years ago. VH doesn't have a footprint in music today and if this gives them a chance to change that, then so be it.
Problem is, the footprint will be in a pile of shit.
Old 02-14-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
But it could have been so much more.
Old 02-14-06, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will just give them some quick publicity. If it happens it won't go far afterwards. The problem with Van Halen was never the singers. It was always Ed. Guitar God that he is, he will definitely screw this up as well. I loved Roth, I loved Hagar. I loved Cherone (in Extreme). Three great frontmen/singers that couldn't hold it together with Eddie. Stop lookin' out, start lookin' in.
Old 02-14-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Holysmoker
Stop lookin' out, start lookin' in.
Or just move on. 50+ year old guys singin about being Hot for Teacher. BLECH.
Old 02-14-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please let this not be true. Either have Roth at the helm, Hagar at the helm, or never do anything again as Van Halen. It is really sad that the band split after Balance...I loved the direction they were going in...there was a darker edge to the music from that album...despite the lovey lyrics.

In regards to Humans Being, that is probably my favorite VH song of all time.
Old 02-15-06, 05:59 AM

From melodicrock.com

"Good to see people finally believing that Rock Star: Van Halen is not and will not ever happen. According to a couple of reports, a more likely scenario for this year (if and when it happens) is a 'supergroup' line-up looking for a lead singer, or a closer format to American Idol, but with a rock slant."

David Lee Roth went on a long rant about this yesterday (2/14) saying this (Rock Star:Van Halen) was the dumbest thing he has ever heard, but he would watch it.
Old 02-15-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by snoogins
From melodicrock.com

"Good to see people finally believing that Rock Star: Van Halen is not and will not ever happen. According to a couple of reports, a more likely scenario for this year (if and when it happens) is a 'supergroup' line-up looking for a lead singer, or a closer format to American Idol, but with a rock slant."

David Lee Roth went on a long rant about this yesterday (2/14) saying this (Rock Star:Van Halen) was the dumbest thing he has ever heard, but he would watch it.
What would really be cool for that show is for the band looking for a singer to be the backing band for the show. They were incredible.
Old 03-07-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Eddie on Oscar night:

Musician Eddie Van Halen arrives at the 14th Annual Elton John Academy Awards Viewing Dinner and After-Party in West Hollywood, Calif., Sunday, March 5, 2006. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060306/482/camw12703061102
Old 03-07-06, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Eddie on Oscar night:

Musician Eddie Van Halen arrives at the 14th Annual Elton John Academy Awards Viewing Dinner and After-Party in West Hollywood, Calif., Sunday, March 5, 2006. (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060306/482/camw12703061102
Looks like an old witch with missing teeth.
Old 03-07-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kind of looks like DLR with dark hair.
Old 03-08-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Eddie: "So, anyway, Dave all of a sudden comes up to me and asks to rejoin the band, and AAAAAAHHHHH!!! I pooped my pants."
Interviewer: "Well, I can't blame you. With everything you've been through, I would have pooped my pants, too!"
Eddie: "No, not then. Just now when I went 'AAAAAAHHHH!!!'"
Old 03-08-06, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
ARGHGHGHHGHGH!!!!
Old 03-08-06, 06:29 AM
Banned

LOL... helooks like a cross between Mickey Dolenz and Agarn from "F Troop"...LOL
Old 03-08-06, 07:35 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For a guy who can spot 50 just up around the bend, I don't think he looks bad at all - especially considering his health and addiction issues. Shit, he still has his hair!
Old 03-08-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
Yes, but the singer they chose to take over Michael Hutchence's place is just gawdawful.

That crappy "Dirty Vegas" song that's being run into the ground on VH-1 and every adult contemporary outlet imaginable defines the term "craptastic."

What happened to VH-1's "Bands on the Run?" I was hopelessly hooked to that series. Why was there never a Season 2.
J.D. was the best choice out of the other 15. Also, I saw them live last week and they were INCREDIBLE. J.D. brings his OWN **** to the band, he's not up there trying to emulate Hutchence. It's absolutely amazing how he has gone from a contestant on the show to a perfect frontman. It's almost as if he has been in the band for years. INXS is back, and it's all thanks to the show. If Van Halen wants similar success again, this show is the best thing to happen to them.

As far as PRETTY Vegas is concerned, it's a decent song. Not great, but better than crap like NELLY and "HOLLABACK GURL" that seem to infest many radio stations. With their new single, AFTERGLOW, INXS will be releasing a tune that is AS GOOD as anything U2 has put out in recent memory. All this because of ROCK STAR: INXS. Van Halen, and people who want to seem them succeed, should be applauding this news.
Old 03-08-06, 12:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reminds me of
Old 03-08-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Van Halen, and people who want to seem them succeed, should be applauding this news.
I want them to succeed because they put out a great album, not because of some shitty-ass TV show. VH does not need to stoop to something like this, they just need write good hard rock music, unlike the crap they have been releasing on the last couple of albums.
Old 03-08-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want them to succeed because they put out a great album, not because of some shitty-ass TV show. VH does not need to stoop to something like this, they just need write good hard rock music, unlike the crap they have been releasing on the last couple of albums.
Yes, I too would RATHER have them take another route. But that ISN'T going to happen. If it were possible, they'd have been back already. Seeing how their options are limited, this seems like a good idea.
Old 03-08-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I too would RATHER have them take another route. But that ISN'T going to happen. If it were possible, they'd have been back already. Seeing how their options are limited, this seems like a good idea.
I disagree totally. That is not the only way for them "come back." They came back a year or so ago and toured arenas.
Old 03-08-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

came back a year or so ago and toured arenas.
Seeing how I was oblivious to this fact, the publicity this show will provide will only aid the band.
Old 03-08-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing how I was oblivious to this fact, the publicity this show will provide will only aid the band.
Sold out arenas proves you wrong. INXS couldn't have sold out a high school gym at $5/ticket before the show. They needed the publicity.
Old 03-08-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sold out arenas proves you wrong. INXS couldn't have sold out a high school gym at $5/ticket before the show. They needed the publicity.
INXS has always attracted large numbers outside of the US. But that is not the point. The sold-out arenas were thanks to Hagar and a "reunion" tour. If they were to go on tour right now with a new singer, I highly doubt they'd see similar results. By going through this show they are ensuring a wider audience for their music. Don't forget the show is aired in many countries worldwide.

I honestly couldn't care less what they do. I just feel the show isn't going to hurt them any, it can only help. Many INXS fans felt the idea was a complete travesty, now most of them are praising the show beyond reason. I have a feeling a similar thing will happen with VH.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.