Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Band Aid III to re-record "Do They Know It's Christmas"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Band Aid III to re-record "Do They Know It's Christmas"

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 08:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a valuable line for him, he needs it, so I think he's going to fly back and try again to beat me.
Wow, what a cocky little shit. I've never been a fan of U2, but this guy's not even qualified to carry Bono's bags.
Old 11-18-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can listen to a streaming version from this link.

Hey, it's better than the version Paul Young sang at Live Aid. To be honest, I quite like it. It's the mellow version, that's all.

LIVE COMMENTARY!

------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Martin sounds like he doesn't want to be there.

Dido sounds so sweet. As always.

Robbie's great.

"It's the better sting of tears" sounds off.

I don't mind Bono's rerecording. Suits the new version's tone.

Guitar solo - no.

Rapping - NO, NO, NO! BAD rap! BAD!

Justin Hawkins, is it? Nice under restraint.

"Feed... the... world..." sounds wrong. Like what they'd do at a live performae as a lead-in, to get everyone to start singing.

Swirly guitar - didn't you hear me? NO.

It's far too long. Five minutes plus? I like the song, but it hardly warrants that sort of length.

"Feed the woooooooooooo-ooooorld..." Oh, stop it.

Maracas! Everyone loves Maracas!

Ah, congratulating each other. Um. Yeah.

-----------------------------------------------

[TheDukeFromMoulinRouge]"Generally I like it."[/TheDukeFromMoulinRouge]

You know, the original just didn't have many key singers. Paul Young, Boy George, Simon Le Bon, Sting, Bono... one or two others. Then there was about twenty of 'em for the "FEEEEED THE WOOOOO-ORLD" bit...

And none of 'em were Kylie. We had to wait YEARS for that to happen.
Old 11-18-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my canned response, already posted in two forums.

Whenever I hear the original, I get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye because it's such a wonderfully emotional song.

I just heard the new version. It seems a bit lackluster and weirdly upbeat, and I just sat there with a look of pain on my face. I kept imagining if the starving Ethiopians heard this monstrosity they'd WANT to continue starving. It's just so...bad. There's also a rap bit that is totally, completely, utterly not good. It doesn't fit in much the same way shoes would not fit Johnny Eck (watch Freaks if you don't get that reference!). The emotion from the first just isn't in this version. Not one bit. Even Bono seems bored by it all.

I suppose if I listen to this fiasco enough times I can get used to it, but folks I can tell you, I don't think I can submit my bleeding ears to a second round.

Thankfully, I have the original in my collection, so I can listen to it a few times to purge the memory of the new one.
Old 11-18-04, 12:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

They just did a "special" on all five UK broadcast channels; maybe more, I didn't have my digibox plugged in.

Madge introduced it and they played what I guess is the video of the new version for the first time over here.
Old 11-18-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is supposed to benefit Sudan?

Hmmm. Exactly why are we singing to a group of Muslims about Christmas?

[sigh.]
Old 11-18-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by benedict
They just did a "special" on all five UK broadcast channels; maybe more, I didn't have my digibox plugged in.

Madge introduced it and they played what I guess is the video of the new version for the first time over here.
Do you mean Madonna, or did you mistype Midge (Ure)?
Old 11-18-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by automator

[sigh.]
Yeah, because twenty million people haven't already made that comment over the last twenty years.

[sigh back.]
Old 11-18-04, 05:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Numanoid
Do you mean Madonna, or did you mistype Midge (Ure)?
The former.

[sigh.]
I thought the song was supposed to raise money in the West. Should they be singing about Allah? How much money would that raise?
Old 11-18-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne

I even like the second one. C'mon! It had KYLIE.
Oh yeah, wasn't the guy from "Bronski Beat" in it too?
Old 11-18-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Oh yeah, wasn't the guy from "Bronski Beat" in it too?
Jimmy Somerville didn't suck.
Old 11-18-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's not what I hear.
Old 11-19-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Saw this over at http://www.popjustice.co.uk/.

Old 11-19-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Awesome.
Old 11-19-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone see the interview about this with Bob Geldolf on CNN this morning? The CNN talking head (some guy with glasses) was real non chalant and Sir Bob was all over him saying sarcastically "it really seems like you care" and mimicking him. It was hilarious. The talking head (some guy with glasses) said "I do care" and Bob kept saying "sure you do". Classic stuff.
Old 11-19-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Bob cared, he wouldn't have assaulted our ears with this awful thing. He would have come up with something new and different that didn't sound like a bunch of preschoolers all singing offkey.

William Shatner would have sounded better.

I honestly feel that Sir Geldof is punishing us for not giving enough money the first two times around. Please, make it stop!
Old 11-19-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Yeah, because twenty million people haven't already made that comment over the last twenty years.

[sigh back.]
Actually, the original 1984 Band Aid was to support Ethiopia. Ethipopia was primarily Christian. There was some sense of logic there.

We are now wishing a primarly Muslim country a Merry Christmas. Seems like a big FUCK YOU to me or, at the very least, ignorant.

[sighing uncontrollably at this point.]
Old 11-19-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by benedict
I thought the song was supposed to raise money in the West. Should they be singing about Allah? How much money would that raise?
Just seems kind of tacky to me.
Old 11-19-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're all correct. They should have never done this project. Screw the people of the Sudan. I'm sure they'd rather starve than taint the good name of a classic British pop song, or have Christmas mentioned in the song that helped them get a piece of bread for their dying child.
Old 11-19-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're all correct. They should have never done this project. Screw the people of the Sudan. I'm sure they'd rather starve than taint the good name of a classic British pop song, or have Christmas mentioned in the song that helped them get a piece of bread for their dying child.
Finally. Someone with some common sense!

Seriously though, if middle eastern singers banded together to sing a pro-muslim song praising Allah would that be an appropriate charity song to benefit victims of 9/11?
Old 11-19-04, 04:39 PM
Suspended

So here's the big list of everyone in the band this time around. Oh dear, I must be getting old - aside from two people (Paul and Bono), I'm going "Who? Who are all these artists?"

1. PAUL McCARTNEY: As one of only two surviving members of the greatest band ever, 62-year-old Paul is still a big star. He will play bass.

Hits: 17 No1s with The Beatles and four by himself and with various collaborations.

2. JAMELIA: Jamelia Davis, 23, tops the totty list for Band Aid 20. The single mum has been a success in Europe and Australia as well as the UK.

Hits: Five Top Five singles. Superstar reached No3 and Thank You was a No2.

3. BEVERLEY KNIGHT: The diva, 32 — real name Beverley Smith — is adding her strong and soulful voice to the line-up.

Hits: Album Who I Am was No7 in 2002.

4. DANNY GOFFEY: The drummer with Supergrass, 30. The band formed in 1994 and were best newcomers at the Brits in 1996 for their stomping, happy rock.

Hits: Supergrass’s 1995 No1 album I Should Coco spent 36 weeks in the charts.

5. NATASHA BEDINGFIELD: The little sis of pop star Daniel will add glamour to the line-up. The 22-year-old is moving out of her brother’s shadow to be a star on her own.

Hits: Debut single Single reached No3 in May. Her follow-up These Words gave the beauty her first No1.

6. FRAN HEALY: The Travis frontman, 30, will play guitar. His band had the biggest-selling British album of 1999 with The Man Who.

Hits: His band has had two No1 albums and their best-known song is Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

7. DIDO: The singer shot to fame when Eminem sampled her track Thank You for his smash hit single Stan. The 32-year-old is in Oz and can’t make it to the studio on Sunday. She will record her part in Australia.

8. BONO: The U2 frontman is the only participant from the original Band Aid single taking part in the new one. He has been drafted in to sing his immortal line “And tonight thank God it’s them instead of you.”
Hits: About to release their 11th studio album having already had five No1 albums.

9. CHRIS MARTIN: The Coldplay frontman, 27, is regarded as one of the country’s finest songwriters. When he came on board Band Aid 20 it was the moment everyone knew the project had really taken off. He will play piano and sing.

Hits: Two No1 albums with Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Coldplay’s as-yet-untitled third album will be the release of next year.

10. BUSTED: James Bourne, 20, Charlie Simpson, 19, and Matt Jay, 20, form Britain’s biggest boy trio.

Hits: First two albums went to No2 and four singles to No1.

11. JUSTIN HAWKINS: Shaggy-haired rock god and lead singer with Lowestoft band The Darkness. The 28-year-old has been compared to the late Freddie Mercury of Queen. Likely he will play guitar and sing.

Hits: Debut album Permission To Land went to No1 last year.

12. ROBBIE WILLIAMS: The ex-Take That star, 30, has gone on to become our biggest entertainer. His song Angels became an anthem for a generation. Recording his part for the track in Los Angeles.

Hits: Six solo No1s, eight with Take That.

13. KATIE MELUA: Singing sensation who came from nowhere this year. Debut album Call Off The Search climbed the charts until it hit No1 in January. The 20-year-old is a surefire contender for a Brit award next year.

Hits: Call Off The Search.

14. TIM WHEELER: The frontman of Irish pop punk band Ash is regarded as an elder statesman of rock — at the grand old age of 28. The band has been around since 1989 and he has become one of the most respected guitarists and singers on the music scene. Ash were one of the star turns at Robbie Williams’s historic Knebworth gigs last year.

Hits: Fourteen singles and five albums. Ash’s debut album 1977 went to No1 in 1996.

15. MS DYNAMITE: The 23-year-old rapper — real name Niomi McLean Daley — wowed audiences and critics with her debut album A Little Deeper, which won her the 2002 Mercury music prize. She went on to pick up a clutch of Brit Awards for it in 2003. Since becoming a mum last year she has concentrated on writing her second album.
Old 11-19-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously though, if middle eastern singers banded together to sing a pro-muslim song praising Allah would that be an appropriate charity song to benefit victims of 9/11?
You're talking about two completely different events. Starving people in the middle of a desert don't ask, "What was the source of this grain? Were any Christian platitudes invoked in order to generate funds for its purchase?" The song makes money, the money goes to the trust, the trust purchases food, the food gets shipped to the country, a worker hands a starving family a bag of rice.

Bottom line, without the name recognition of the song, this effort brings in far less cash, which equals far less food, which equals far more suffering.
Old 11-19-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're talking about two completely different events. Starving people in the middle of a desert don't ask, "What was the source of this grain? Were any Christian platitudes invoked in order to generate funds for its purchase?" The song makes money, the money goes to the trust, the trust purchases food, the food gets shipped to the country, a worker hands a starving family a bag of rice.

Bottom line, without the name recognition of the song, this effort brings in far less cash, which equals far less food, which equals far more suffering.
Agreed.
Old 12-30-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't this supposed to be on iTunes? I can't find it.
Old 12-30-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Contrary to what Bono believes, I hate i-anything with a passion. I let it get its i-tenticles into my computer when I went looking for it. But, I didn't find it.

However, after reading this article, I guess it's just the "UK" iTunes store?

Apple iTunes adds Band Aid 20 - for 79p

Apple has posted Band Aid 20's single, Do They Know it's Christmas? on its UK iTunes Music Store (ITMS).

But it has managed to secure the track at its standard price of 79p, and not the £1.49 that the song's owner, charity the Band Aid Trust, wanted the company to sell it for - and the price at which all the online music store's competitors are charging.

It's actually something of a coup for Apple. Not only does it get to offer the song for rather less than its rivals, undercutting them by a significant margin, but it gets the added kudos of being able to claim it's donating 70p to the charity for every copy of the song it sells.

It's almost certainly buying the track at the standard unit price but discounting the song on behalf of its customers.

At the time of writing, Sony Connect, Tesco and Woolworths were still selling the song for £1.49.

Napster, for one, said it would continue to offer the single for £1.49. "The retail price of £1.49 was requested by Band Aid and accepted by everyone involved – from the labels through to the shops and online music services," a spokesman told The Register. "Napster is honouring that commitment."

ITMS UK is also offering the single's b-side, the original version of the song from 20 years back, for the same price, or you can by the two together for £1.58.

Of course, purchasing the song online leaves you without the opportunity of destroying the physical product - worthy cause, dire record, worse cover 'art' - as one website is calling on all music fans (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...d_aid_dilemma/) to do. The CD version of the song went on sale in the UK on Monday.
Old 12-30-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Hate the Band Aid single? Click here

Yesterday's release of Band Aid's revamped version of the, ahem, classic Do They Know It's Christmas has put many charitable souls in a bit of a quandry. The fact is, you want to help the Sudanese refugees by supporting this excellent cause, but the single is, well, crap.

Technically, this is known as the Band Aid Dilemma - a disturbing condition in which the natural instinct to help those less fortunate than yourself battles the primordial desire to avoid dreadful pop like the plague.

So, what's the solution? Fear not, help is at hand in the form of the Band Aid Dilemma online resource. Here's how it works:

You want this record to succeed, because you feel for the plight of the refugees in the Dharfur region of Sudan and this project is funding aid projects on their behalf. However, you hate this recording and feel your musical ego looming and refusing to be bruised.

The answer?

Buy as many copies of Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid 20 as you can afford.
Destroy them in amusing ways, on camera.
Send us the pictures.
Charity. Violence. You know it makes sense.

Excellent. We hope that this admirable initiative will considerably swell the Band Aid coffers while ensuring that as few copies of the record as possible escape into the wild. Go to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.