Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

allofmp3.com?

Old 02-13-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Who said anything about it being in my Ipod? If i'm "buying" something, I'm buying it because I want it high quality for my collection. I'm not buying something that's sub-par. I'd prefer to compress it myself for my Ipod and have an uncompressed version for listening at home.

I think YOU misinterprited my post. I never said I was using the FLAC's for my ipod.
No, you are still missing the point. These places don't exist for the home listener who wants uncompressed music. They exist for the iPod generation, and those who want to digitally store as many songs as possible in as little space as possible. In the same vein, although storage is as cheap as it's ever been and only getting cheaper, keeping an instantly available library online, in terms of sheer volume and bandwitdh, is only feasible in a highly compressed format.

These sites aren't for you, and nor should they be. What you are looking for is called the CD section of your local electronics emporium.

Lastly, geez relax, you must have me confused with Adamblast or something
Old 02-13-06, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

These sites aren't for you, and nor should they be. What you are looking for is called the CD section of your local electronics emporium.

Lastly, geez relax, you must have me confused with Adamblast or something
Unfortunately, the CD section isn't for me and never really has been. 95% of my CD collection is singles, imports, remixes etc. I don't buy albums (unless they're of my favorite artists) and really never will. It would just be nice to be able to buy the one track from *insert artists name here* that's on some compilation without having to buy the whole thing. Same thing with singles. I miss singles, dammit.

(Side note: yah, unfortunately I jumped into this thread right after the BBM one. Sorry about that )
Old 02-13-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Did I miss something? AOMP3 allows you to download in 320kbps or even WAV...
Old 02-13-06, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Did I miss something? AOMP3 allows you to download in 320kbps or even WAV...
Exactly. That's the way it SHOULD be done. That's why I know a few people who are downloading from them...aside from the fact that they're cheaper than Itunes. My point was that if Itunes would actually offer you options like this, I'd be using it a helluva lot more often.
Old 02-14-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Exactly. That's the way it SHOULD be done. That's why I know a few people who are downloading from them...aside from the fact that they're cheaper than Itunes. My point was that if Itunes would actually offer you options like this, I'd be using it a helluva lot more often.
How expensive is it to d/l a wav? An mp3 averages abotu a dime, but I would imagine that it be closer to a buck a song for wavs.

Also, do we know for certain whether it's an actual uncompressed wav or an MP3 that is re-expanded back into wav (which would be lossy)? That would make a ton of difference.
Old 02-14-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is one of two things. Most files they are adding to the site are WAVs ripped directly from the CD, which you can compress any way you like or take as the straight WAV. Some of their older files are also WAVs, but most are a 384kbps "Open Format" MP3 files, which you can take as-is or compress to a smaller size. (Also, the 384kbps MP3s don't fit the MP3 spec, so if you download them without compressing, you can only use certain players. See: http://music.allofmp3.com/help/help.shtml Click Section 6, then the 5th one down (My audio player does not support...))
Old 04-01-06, 06:06 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a slow down lately downloading from this site?I can download other things(programs,songs,etc.)from other sites and it does just fine,but with allofmp3 it is going real slow.
Old 04-01-06, 07:29 PM

no, allofmp3 seems to be working fine for me still. i use their "explorer" program and it works great
Old 04-02-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Nothing noticeable for me. I haven't used it much the past few months though..
Old 04-03-06, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you download each track individually, it's fast. If you use the AllTunes program, though it is more convienient, it takes forever.
Old 04-04-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MP3SEARCH.RU - another one. I use it all the time to be honest. Love it.

There is stuff like David Usher that I would have to import and pay the ass (not to mention his latest 'if God Had Curves' comes with copyright protection!!!), so I just go here and get it.
Old 04-05-06, 09:15 AM

yeah m3u search is cool. the only thing i dont like is the lack of fixed bitrate on mp3 files
Old 04-05-06, 09:26 AM
Banned

Just started using this site. Damn. 16 cents for a wav file? This rocks my world.
Old 04-05-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
yeah m3u search is cool. the only thing i dont like is the lack of fixed bitrate on mp3 files
which site--allofmp3.com or mp3search.ru?
Old 04-05-06, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
which site--allofmp3.com or mp3search.ru?
Obviously mp3search. Allofmp3 offers various bitrates.

Just checked out mp3search. Yuk. All they have are mp3's...no wav or flac. Plus they have a lot of bootlegs. Not cool.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 04-05-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 10:47 AM

allofmp3 is clearly the winner between the 2 (in prices and selection). download the explorer and it makes everything so much easier. and their credit card thing is secure- ive purchased about $150 worth of music and never had any problems.

the only reason i signed up for m3usearch in addition is b/c they had an album (which wouldve been $40+ to import) for like $1.50 (Surferosa's "The Force"). i can live with the varying mp3 bitrates for a savings like that.
Old 04-05-06, 11:23 AM
Banned

I just wish allofmp3 had some of their older stuff in wav. Seems like they started doing that later.
Old 04-05-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Allofmp3 has a newer program out called allTunes. It looks to be based on Explorer with an updated layout. It's kind of nice, though I wish it didn't still download the database to your computer. I guess it does make searching faster...

digitalfreak,
They went through three stages of compression formats. The oldest, VIP, is 192kbps. The next is OE, which uses MP3s encoded in the "Free format" at 384kbps. Finally OEEX uses the original CD audio in WAV format. OE and OEEX can be encoded into many formats, with OEEX also available in the original WAV.
Old 04-05-06, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Allofmp3 has a newer program out called allTunes. It looks to be based on Explorer with an updated layout. It's kind of nice, though I wish it didn't still download the database to your computer. I guess it does make searching faster...

digitalfreak,
They went through three stages of compression formats. The oldest, VIP, is 192kbps. The next is OE, which uses MP3s encoded in the "Free format" at 384kbps. Finally OEEX uses the original CD audio in WAV format. OE and OEEX can be encoded into many formats, with OEEX also available in the original WAV.
Right. There are some songs that I want but they're only available in mp3. Sorry but I refuse to pay for something that's substandard. I'll get it some other way. But if I could get them uncompressed, i'd buy em in a heartbeat.
Old 04-05-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even when it's $0.10?
Old 04-05-06, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Even when it's $0.10?
Yup. Free will always be better than 10 cents. and if i'm paying, i'm paying for an uncompressed copy.
Old 04-05-06, 07:06 PM

I could care less about that stuff.
I could also care less that they sell some bootlegs.

MP3Search works for me , due to the fact it has some stuff that AlLMP3 doesn't.
Old 04-06-06, 12:09 AM
mbs

no wav or flac. Plus they have a lot of bootlegs. Not cool.
I personally use allofmp3, but considering the "grey" nature of allofmp3.com (as well as mp3search), I find this statement quite hypocritical.