Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What music venues are a must?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What music venues are a must?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Damn, you beat me to it! Big to the Factory.
The Factory is alright, but it's owned by Clear Channel. The Trocadero is a much nicer venue imo, not to mention the TLA.
Old 08-27-04, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chaza
The Factory is alright, but it's owned by Clear Channel. The Trocadero is a much nicer venue imo, not to mention the TLA.

True. I hate the Factory...big bouncy sound, overpriced. The Troc is the best of the mid-sized venue, hands down. But the best venue overall in Philly is the Khyber...great sound, cheap/large beer selection, good atmosphere.
Old 08-30-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

atlanta: fabulous fox
the roxy
masquerade
40 watt club in athens.
Old 08-30-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Al's Bar or Raji's in LA (both are gone now, I think; That makes the Troubadour the only club in LA with a real underground rock history.)
The Palace in Hollywood (lots of famous shows/recordings there. Last Ramones show was there.)
I'm an idiot. How could I forget the Whiskey or the Roxy in LA?!?! Or even the Coconut Teazer? Sorry!
Old 08-30-04, 01:14 PM

Cleveland Agora?!?!?!?

Maybe the old one before it burned down. That was a choice venue for many artists. I saw Robert Fripp there. Todd Rundgren did one of the first simulcasts from the Cleveland Agora. But that was back when Cleveland was a musical hub, now it appears Columbus has taken over that role in Ohio.
Old 08-30-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
I have to disagree with you there. I've seen a few shows there and they were awesome. Radiohead most recently. Plus the fact that you can bring in dinner and drinks and a blanket makes it great for dates.
Well, yes those are great pluses, here in Chicago there is Ravinia and the sound is much better....although I have not been to the Bowl since it has had it's makeover. And I will have to say the new place downtown in Chicago is just as good.

Never thought it was the best place...but it does have its history and for that one should go I guess. My review is not a good one though.
Old 08-30-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
The Fabulous Fox in St. Louis
Old 08-30-04, 06:12 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Chalk me down as another hollywood bowl fan, and oddly enough I also saw radiohead there last year.

the greek theater in berkeley is cool

Red Rocks is on my list of must see venues.

And Slane Castle in Ireland.
check out the past lineups who have played there
http://slanesite.freeservers.com/custom4.html

I was there in 87 and 93, of course I only lived 6 mile away so it was a lot easier to get to then.
Old 08-30-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
I've not been to alot of music venues in other states. I have seen a good show at the House of Blues in the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. My favorite venues here in the Phoenix area are:

Mesa Ampitheater - Mesa
Marquee Theater - Tempe
Nita's Hideaway - pre-move, then closing down.
Old 08-30-04, 11:07 PM

I just caught a show at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC and it is amazing, great acoustics making some great sounding concerts. The State Theater in Detroit is also great, especially if it's packed and you have an open GA floor on the bottom.

Other than that, nothing can top the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Ohio. It's the oldest continuous rock club in the country and the untouched inside prove it. Catch a rock show there and your mind is sure to be blown.
Old 08-31-04, 08:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Bowery Ballroom (NYC): great sound system

a thousand times better than the 9:30 Club which most sound mixers muddle up the playback, which ends up sounding distorted and way to loud, the vocals always get lost in the mix.
Old 08-31-04, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh and Shepherd's Bush Empire in London
Old 09-01-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Alpine Valley.
Old 09-02-04, 07:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

im mixed on the bowl for rock concerts. radiohead there )yes i saw em too) was amazing, and i like how you can bring in dinner, but its too soft. great for classical music but not rock concerts in my opinion. THough it is great to have an outside venue. bjork would be majestic to see there.

if youre in LA, check out the greek theater. its like a mini hollywood bowl. its built on the side of a mountain. good sound, saws queens of the stone age there on halloween, and its a lot mroe intimate than the bowl. parking is a bitch though. it was pouring rain and you have to park in the dark on a dirt road up the side of a mountain. getting out of that was hell.
Old 09-02-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Stubbs BBQ - Austin, TX