Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...music_eo/14777

November 23rd is going to be a beautiful day for U2 fans.

Bono and the boys have announced plans to release their still untitled album in the U.S. then, a day after it drops in the U.K. The first single, "Vertigo," will hit radio on Sept. 24, while a video for the song will debut in October.

U2's 11th studio album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, is the follow-up to their multiple Grammy-winning 2000 disc, All That You Can Leave Behind. Besides "Vertigo," other song titles rumored to be on the Irish rockers' set include "Tough" and "Full Metal Jacket."

The band has been previewing tracks to select music industry types, and the buzz has been tremendous. Time magazine's Josh Tyrangiel says the new CD "is just full of confident, expansive guitar rock from the masters of the form. All the old tricks--the Edge's echoing guitar notes,Larry Mullen Jr.'s martial snare--still work...[Bono] has enormous assuredness, and the occasional cracks in his voice make the bad-relationship songs (and, as always, there are quite a few) darker and more dramatic."

U2 fan site @U2 quotes VH1 Senior Vice President Bill Flanagan saying, "It's the best album they have ever done. It's going to knock[listeners] out." And British rock writer Neil McCormick tells Hot Press magazine that "Vertigo" "is like the early U2 pumped up in the 21st century, a really exciting record."

The album's release will apparently not be impacted by the disappearance of early version of the album. A compact disc containing unmixed versions of the tracks went missing from a recording studio in Nice, France, in July, prompting worries that the songs could be leaked to the Internet, potentially costing the quartet, arguably the most popular rock band in the world, and its label, Interscope, millions in lost revenue.

With French investigators still not finding what they're looking for, Bono told London's Daily Telegraph that the group may try and head off such a disastrous leak by making the album available early as a legal download on Apple's iTunes should file-swappers get their hands on it.

"If it is on the Internet this week, we will release it immediately as a legal download on iTunes, and get hard copies into the shops by the end of the month," the singer said. "It would be a real pity. It would screw up years of work and months of planning, not to mention f--king up our holidays. But once it's out. It's out."

A cursory scan of the major music-swapping sites haven't turned up any of the MIA tracks.

For now, the album will be on shelves--and iTunes--in November, with a U.S. tour slated for the spring.

---------------------------

Wow...has it really been almost FOUR years since ATYCLB?

Last time around they played Indy and South Bend (Notre Dame)...crossing my fingers they at least play Indy again.

Last edited by indianajdp; 08-24-04 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
while i'm glad that it didn't hit the 'net, I kinda wish it did.

it's been too damn long since their last one.

I want this now.
Old 08-24-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to hear my all-time favorite band is finally returning. I'd love to see them in concert again, they haven't been in my neck of the woods in a while.

Four years?
Old 08-24-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Originally posted by indianajdp
U2 fan site @U2 quotes VH1 Senior Vice President Bill Flanagan saying, "It's the best album they have ever done. It's going to knock[listeners] out."
People were saying the same thing in 2000. We'll see.
Old 08-24-04, 08:30 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Agreed, I hope the new one is much better than All That You Can't Leave Behind. Not that that was a bad album but just.........blah. Some competent songwriting and nice songs (In a Little While is lovely) but it feels almost like Adult Contemporary pap in parts.

:crosses fingers:
Old 08-24-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wonder if ticket prices will be reasonable?
Old 08-24-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
if you make 150k+ a year
Old 08-24-04, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent news -- I can't wait!

Yes, they said the same things about 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and, personally, I thought it was one of their better albums. It's in my top 3 behind 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby'.

Last edited by Setzer; 08-24-04 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Setzer
Yes, they said the same things about 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and, personally, I thought it was one of their better albums.
Agreed.
Old 08-24-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Re: Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Originally posted by atlantamoi
And they were right.
Old 08-24-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

That's me and my wife, right between Bono and The Edge, with the glowsticks.

"Oh, yes. It will be mine"
Old 08-24-04, 01:46 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Originally posted by cdollaz
And they were right.
That All That You Can't Leave Behind is their best album?

:cough: I don't think so.
Old 08-24-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally! (Official U2 Album and Tour Details)

Originally posted by Rivero
That All That You Can't Leave Behind is their best album?

:cough: I don't think so.
Well in my opinion it is, so how about that?
Old 08-24-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A.T.Y.C.L.B. is what I consider one of the top 3 or 4 best U2 albums. Frankly, I'm surprised so many didn't care for it.

Question: Why has U2 not released a full length Live concert on CD? I have both DVD releases, but I can't listen to them in the car.
Old 08-24-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I paid $45 per ticket... seems reasonable enough.

Hopefully we'll get an album title soon. Plenty of rumors about that, but nothing confirmed. I'm gladd Lillywhite is back producing with the band as well, hopefully that more rocking sound will be back.

If the single is officially released to radio on Sep 24, I'd expect it to leak somewhere around a week before, with the rest of the album popping up a few weeks later.
Old 08-24-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Achtung
I paid $45 per ticket... seems reasonable enough.

$45 for tickets to what? They haven't announced any dates for this tour yet.
Old 08-24-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
$45 for tickets to what? They haven't announced any dates for this tour yet.
No... I was talking about the last tour. I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that prices should be smiliar.
Old 08-24-04, 04:27 PM

Agreed, I hope the new one is much better than All That You Can't Leave Behind. Not that that was a bad album but just.........blah. Some competent songwriting and nice songs (In a Little While is lovely) but it feels almost like Adult Contemporary pap in parts.

Count me in as one that also enjoyed ATYCLB immensely. While not my favorite U2 disc it's def top 3 or 4. And I couldn't agree more about In a Little While...it is my favorite track off of that album.
Old 08-24-04, 04:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Also got $45 tickets, and that heart stage was the best thing ever. except in boston where they only let the beautiful people into it, which is why one is not included on the dvd release as the other people who were in the heart sat down in Protest.
Old 08-24-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Question: Why has U2 not released a full length Live concert on CD? I have both DVD releases, but I can't listen to them in the car.
I know, it sucks. I finally converted the stereo PCM tracks from their two live DVDs and burned them to CD. Each DVD makes a nice two-CD set.

It takes an evening of tinkering, but it's a fun project. You can follow the instructions here , from a thread in the Tech forum.
Old 08-24-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ATYCLB was an amazing record, not their best but so close. The elevation tour was unreal, i saw 14 shows and it never lost its magic. Can't wait for more tour details
Old 08-25-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok - spring tour.

Does this mean tickets will go on sale smack-dab in the middle of the holiday shopping season? Typically, U2 shows go on sale at least 6 months in advance of the actual dates.

Joy.

And does anyone know if Propaganda is still in existence? I haven't heard from them in eons.
Old 08-25-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by grunter
Ok - spring tour.

Does this mean tickets will go on sale smack-dab in the middle of the holiday shopping season? Typically, U2 shows go on sale at least 6 months in advance of the actual dates.

Joy.

And does anyone know if Propaganda is still in existence? I haven't heard from them in eons.
Well, last time they had a spring tour and the tickets went on sale just after the holiday season, in early January if I recall.

As for Propaganda, they seem to have fallen off the fact of the earth. I got good tickets through them, but may have to settle for the rush of Ticketmaster this time.
Old 08-25-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga

I agree. It doesn't touch JT or TUF. I was intrigued by Zooropa and liked it a lot, didn't hate Pop (but the tour was great), not as good as the AB tour (ZooTV) though. I thought that their attempt to go back to the 80s with ATYCLB should have been left behind and not serve as a vehicle to sell greatest hits albums.
Old 09-09-04, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Title of the new album is:

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Last edited by Setzer; 09-15-04 at 12:57 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.