Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

how are these bands live?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 09:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tons of good shows are coming to my area (ventura/LA) but not sure what i should see. heres what i thinking about attending:

social distortion

the misfits

supersuckers

helmet

rilo kiely

circle jerks

motorhead
Old 08-16-04, 01:59 AM

Well, I've never seen any of these bands live, but know who they are. My rather general opinion would be:

Social Distortion: Seem to be a crowd pleaser, but their ticket prices are usually a bit higher than your average punk show. Guess it comes down to how much you wanna spend.

Misfits: I'd avoid this like the plague. I mean, the bass player is the only original member, and he's got guys from The Ramones and Black Flag playing with him doing songs from all three band's discographies. It has the potential to be a fun mash up of early 80's U.S punk, but I wouldn't really count on it to be a good MISFITS show.

Supersuckers: Have no idea what they've been up to lately, but they've always been a pretty solid band and don't seem like the type to put on a lackluster show.

Helmet: Just go to say you saw them and make your friends jealous. I'm thining about doing the same thing come October.

Rilo Kiely: I don't really know much about this band at all. I've heard the name, but I have no idea whether they're hardcore or emo, or indie pop. BUT, they certainly haven't been around very long (compared to all these other bands), so I'm pretty sure they're in top form for whatever it is they do, and since the show will be like, $8, go for it.

Circle Jerks: Eh, why not?

Motorhead: If you're a new fan, it'd be great to see them. They seem to be at a pretty good spot right now with their new album, and beside the point; they're legendary!

Hopefully this wasn't a completely pointless post.
Old 08-16-04, 07:12 AM

The Misfits were great the last time I saw them in '98 in a small club in Baltimore. Don't know what they're like now that Michael Graves isn't with the group anymore.
Old 08-16-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I've only seen MOTORHEAD and they're awesome live. Not too much rambling between songs and Lemmy has a very cool stage presence.
Old 08-16-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only seen Social Distortion from your list. In '90 and '92. One of the better live acts I've seen.
Old 08-16-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atlantamoi
I've only seen Social Distortion from your list. In '90 and '92. One of the better live acts I've seen.
Agree, I really like seeing this band play.

Motorhead..If you like their music you will love their show.

Circle Jerks...was so long ago I can't even remember. I think it was with Slapshot. Nothing special I guess.

Misfits I did not like.
Old 08-16-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Misfits are ok live. Still couldn't compare to seeing the real Misfits. Motorhead still know how to rock.
Old 08-16-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Awesome that Helmet is back together.
Old 08-16-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Social D: Good show, I saw them when they toured with the Ramones back in the early 90's. Though don't be suprised if Mike Ness (singer) picks a fight with someone from the audience, has a bit of the tough-guy persona.

Misfits: I saw them right after they got back together for the first time and it was a good show, as mentioned previously though, now with just one original member, who knows what you'll get. FYI: I read online that DANZIG is doing a small Misfits set including DOYLE on his upcoming tour????

HELMET: Great show, I saw them on the "Betty" tour headlining, and on the "aftertaste" tour open for KoRn. They put on a good show. I'd be curious to see how they do now that they have the old bass player from Anthrax with them (Frank Bello).

That's all I've seen of the bands listed, but I've heard from numerous people that Motorhead puts on a very LOUD show.
Old 08-16-04, 06:17 PM
Banned

Motorhead is/was/will be an excellent live band.
Old 08-16-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Awesome that Helmet is back together.
Yes, it is.
Old 08-16-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rilo Kiley will put you to sleep in a not good way. But I don't like their music either, so...
Old 08-17-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Motorhead never disappoints. Everything you'd expect. Should never be missed.

Same for the Supersuckers. They always throw in surprises. Seen them over 30 times and never have seen the same show twice. Even if they're playing 2 consecutive nights at a club, they'll make a point not to play the same songs. I got their new live DVD, but that really doesn't do them justice. You GOT to see this band.

Seen Social D once (or twice... can't remember). Kind of boring actually. But then again, it was an outdoor show, daytime, with a ton of other bands. Mike Ness was whining and bitching in between songs. Wasn't that bad, but I enjoyed Less Than Jake and Rocket From The Crypt much more that day.

Helmet was ok when I saw them. It was a small club, a coffeehouse actually. Sound sucked. Can't really judge on how they are live based on that. It was about 10 years ago too. Weird Al Yankovick was there!
Old 08-17-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: how are these bands live?

The Misfits : No Glenn, so don't bother with this cash grab of a band, although they seem to be a big hit with the midwest "goth" kids who listen to ICP and are into backyard wrestling.

Helmet : Are they back together playing already? Anyway, I saw them opening for Ministry a long time ago, pretty good show.

Motorhead : Bring your earplugs, loudest band on Earth. One of my couple friends couldn't be inside the venue that long because they were so loud and their ears hurt, so they had to listen to them from the smoking patio. Another friend was deaf for a couple of days.
Old 08-17-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Helmet was the first show I ever saw...January of 95. The Edge in Ft. Lauderdale, and by god they rocked.
Old 08-17-04, 08:42 PM

I have to say that Rilo Kiley is pretty great. They have a poppy-Indie sound with a twist of country in there. One reviewer wrote that they are "citified country", which is a fair description.

They've been around for something like 5 years, and they are just beginning to blow up. They're new album was released today, "More Adventurous". Nick Harcourt, the musical director for the Los Angeles NPR station and DJ for the show "Morning Becomes Eclectic", calls it the "best album released this year".

I have friends in the band, so I'm a little biased but they are very talented. Definitely worth checking out their albums and their live show as well. They play smaller venues that tend to sell out, so you usually can't get tickets the day of the show.

EDITED TO ADD: They DEFINITELY don't fit into that list you gave, they have a pretty mild sound (they rock out some) led by their cooing lead singer Jenny Lewis.
Old 08-19-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Abranut
I have to say that Rilo Kiley is pretty great. They have a poppy-Indie sound with a twist of country in there. One reviewer wrote that they are "citified country", which is a fair description.

They've been around for something like 5 years, and they are just beginning to blow up. They're new album was released today, "More Adventurous". Nick Harcourt, the musical director for the Los Angeles NPR station and DJ for the show "Morning Becomes Eclectic", calls it the "best album released this year".

I have friends in the band, so I'm a little biased but they are very talented. Definitely worth checking out their albums and their live show as well. They play smaller venues that tend to sell out, so you usually can't get tickets the day of the show.

EDITED TO ADD: They DEFINITELY don't fit into that list you gave, they have a pretty mild sound (they rock out some) led by their cooing lead singer Jenny Lewis.
Rilo Kiley is simply one of the best bands on the planet, I hope its true they are about to blow up. The new album is amazing, picked it up tuesday and have listened to 10 times already!
Old 08-19-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Social Distortion is great. they CAN be pretty boring if youre not already into their stuff. you wont get a really energetic performance, just a few guys playing good music.

The Misfits, well, i saw one of the shows with the misfits/ramones/black flag combination and it was quite good, a nice mix of songs by all of those bands. now that they have a covers CD out, i guess theyre going to be playing more songs from that and honestly its nothing worth hearing. Misfits with Danzig would obviously be better but Jerry seems to love his fans, smiling and hanging out after shows, and Danzig, well, Danzig is just an asshole. one seems to have fun, and one doesnt.

and yes, Doyle is joining Danzig for a set of Misfits songs on the upcoming Blackest Of The Black tour.
Old 08-20-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Helmet, the original version, was TIGHT live. I swear, they didn't miss a single note. It was like a machine. They ROCKED. I saw them about 3 months before they brokeup in 97.

Now that they are back, I will be there with bells on to see them.

The new album is pretty solid. I've heard about 75% of it thus far..."See You Dead" is just fricken sweet.
Old 08-21-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to see Helmet Sept. 25 at Maxwells in Hoboken, NJ. Any fans that live in the area should defintely check it out. I saw the Donna's there about 4 or 5 years ago and it is small (capacity of around 150).
Old 08-22-04, 10:54 AM

Don't miss helmet for sure. Can't say anything about the other bands. It will be different seeing helmet without that Stanier/Bogdan rhythm, but I'm sure they are still good with the new guys from Zombie and Anthrax.
Old 08-22-04, 12:07 PM

Misfits were good live even during the Graves era... unfortunately I didn't get into them until Danzig was gone. I think Jerry has made the band a parody of what it once was. There is a reason that even his own brother, Doyle, will not play in the current lineup.

On the flip side, it may be the last time you get to see ANY of the Misfits live (as well as Ramones members, or Black Flag members), so it may be your last chance to hear any of those songs live.

Social D I've never seen live, but I love the band and I've seen some live footage. Like an above poster said, 4 guys just playing good music. I wouldn't pass that up.
Old 08-23-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Circle Jerks may have put on a good show circa 1983. I'm planning to see them when they come up to Seattle in September; I hope they don't disappoint me as they were the first punk band I ever listened to.

I saw the Misfits play in 2000. Was a decent show, but they played too many of there new songs for my tastes. They were opening for GWAR, so they were a little overshadowed.

Motorhead. If you like metal at all, you'll love them.

I'd love to Social Distortion live.

Supersuckers put on a fun show.
Old 08-24-04, 05:58 AM

I just read the following regarding HELMET on the prp.com:

"Helmet have indeed been forced to postpone a number of dates for their previously announced upcoming fall tour as a result of band frontman Page Hamilton breaking his collarbone in a recent mountain biking accident. The tour is now expected to kick off in early October. A revised schedule is expected to be released shortly. As previously reported, the bands upcoming new album "Size Matters" has also been pushed back to an October 05th release date as well."