Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sign #172 that you're getting old -or- "Who is ABBA?"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-04-04, 11:18 AM
Suspended

So I was at costco yesterday, getting supplys. I had forgotten my folder of CD's at home, and the one I had in the car was getting real old, so I was looking through the 5 dollar bin for some tunes for the ride home.

The only two discs that caught my eye was the best of Styx and the best of Abba. Unable to decide between the two, I ponder as I shop - eventually getting to the checkout. No closer to a decision, I decided to ask the two clerks what I should get.

They both said - Styx. Neither had heard of Abba.

I'm all like "You know - Dancing Queen? Mamma Mia? Disco? The biggest thing to come out of Sweden since Ikea?"

Nope - not a clue.

Sheesh - youngsters.
Old 08-04-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Billy Crystal had a bit in the 80s about his daughter asking him, "dad, is it true that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" "I could feel liver spots bursting onto my hands."

Have you come to the realization yet that kids in school today will have no concept of what a film strip or a film projector (at least, in the educational setting) are? That's a doozy.
Old 08-04-04, 11:51 AM

Re: Sign #172 that you're getting old -or- "Who is ABBA?"

Originally posted by El-Kabong
So I was at costco yesterday, getting supplys. I had forgotten my folder of CD's at home, and the one I had in the car was getting real old, so I was looking through the 5 dollar bin for some tunes for the ride home.

The only two discs that caught my eye was the best of Styx and the best of Abba. Unable to decide between the two, I ponder as I shop - eventually getting to the checkout. No closer to a decision, I decided to ask the two clerks what I should get.

They both said - Styx. Neither had heard of Abba.

I'm all like "You know - Dancing Queen? Mamma Mia? Disco? The biggest thing to come out of Sweden since Ikea?"

Nope - not a clue.

Sheesh - youngsters.
wha? never heard of the musical 'Mamma Mia' or the movie 'Muriel's Wedding' - oi!
Old 08-04-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm 33, of course I know Styx and ABBA so that does make me feel old. I was at a concert last week where there was this kid with his father who obviously didn't have a clue about Korn's music. Is that going to be me one day? Or worse, the kid and mom with the matching concert t-shirt. I don't want to be either, I want to stay young forever!
Old 08-04-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 21-year-old cousin didn't know who Abba was either until I played her "Dancing Queen". I guess I shouldn't be surprised. For her recent graduation I filled up a 64 CD case holder with nothing but compilations I put together of "important" bands. She won't like all of it, but it will be a learning experience I hope.
Old 08-04-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sign #171 for me was when someone on this board called Guns & Roses "Classic Rock". I don't think they were joking!
Old 08-04-04, 01:23 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Sign #171 for me was when someone on this board called Guns & Roses "Classic Rock". I don't think they were joking!
I was going to say something similar.

I saw ID4 on AMC.

Thats an American Movie Classic I don't think its even 10 years old.
Old 08-04-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is it half scary that i first heard of styx thanks to south park way back in 99
Old 08-04-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by iggystar
I'm 33, of course I know Styx and ABBA so that does make me feel old. I was at a concert last week where there was this kid with his father who obviously didn't have a clue about Korn's music. Is that going to be me one day? Or worse, the kid and mom with the matching concert t-shirt. I don't want to be either, I want to stay young forever!
I once had all of Styx's recordings on cassette, and though I've never owned an Abba song, I can think of several of their songs.

And I can't name a single song (or even the melody) of any Korn song.
Old 08-05-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I don't even like to think of the 3192 things I've encountered to make me feel old.
Old 08-05-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"old" now is like 50. you late 20's, 30's, and 40 year old shouldn't be so hard on yourselves.
Old 08-05-04, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Vryce
I was going to say something similar.

I saw ID4 on AMC.

Thats an American Movie Classic I don't think its even 10 years old.
Ah, grasshopper. Your mistake is thinking that AMC still stands for American Movie Classics. It used to, but I don't think you'll find any reference to that name on the channel or their website since they changed their format and content (for the worse IMO) a couple years back. Now it's just "AMC" with no apparent meaning.

Oh, and I have a couple of ABBA vinyl records, in addition to the ABBA Gold CD. Gotta love their infectious beats and harmonies.

Last edited by hondo21; 08-05-04 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Completly unrelated to music - another "God I'm old" story:

I was at the mall probably about 15 years ago or so, and they had these Nintendo sanctioned booths loaded with hidiously overpriced games you could try out and buy. Of course the kids flocked to the booth to play free games - but the booth attendents loved me letting me play, since I actually had money and could buy (I never did - but that's beside the fact).

So I was taking a SNES version of Dragons Lair out for a spin. After a bit, my friend asks me "so how is it"

"Well, it's ok, I guess. It's nothing like the arcade game, of course"

The kid next to me, who had been eagerly watching the game stops short in amazment. " Wow - you mean Dragons Lair was an arcade game?"

I just put the controller down and walked away at that.
Old 08-05-04, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Billy Crystal had a bit in the 80s about his daughter asking him, "dad, is it true that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" "I could feel liver spots bursting onto my hands."
That's a classic Billy Crystal bit.

But I have to wonder how many kids have even heard of "Wings" at this point. How would it be updated?

"Is it true Paul McCartney used to be in a band?"
Old 08-05-04, 01:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Are you sure kids nowadays even know who Paul McCartney is?

I'm sure some do, but you'd probably get a lot of "deer in the headlights" looks if you took a sample of kids and asked them about some older musicians.
Old 08-05-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If kids do not know who John/Paul/George or Ringo is (much less the Beatles) then we have failed as adults. But that would explain a lot.

And why are you trying to decide between Styx and Abba's GH's j/k
Old 08-05-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think a lot of that has to do with the terrible solo albums Paul has put out. No one has done more damage to his image than himself.

Also, I think Paul's a money hungry wanker.