Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

any Mosh Pit people here at club concerts?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

any Mosh Pit people here at club concerts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
a Soul Aslyum show at Hammerjacks a number years back was kind of scary in that the whole crowd was so close together, when it surged back and forth, it fell like everyone was going to fall over.
I've been to several shows like that. The only time it really kind of scared me was when I saw Tool at Coachella (a big outdoor festival type of concert), because there was basically no where to go from the position we were standing at. I was hanging on for dear life not wanting to fall down and get crushed. It eventually died down after a few songs when people started to move back. You truely are at the mercy of the force of the crowd sometimes.
Old 07-15-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep, and papa roach made people wait for about a half an hour, and people started chanting, so thats when people wnet nuts
Old 07-15-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I stand on the borders pushing people if they're moving in circle. I also help guys up who fall on their asses.

The worst Pit I saw was a Pantera show in long beach. Suddenly this one skinhead bastard with nazi and white power tattoos showed up and sarted attacking this Mexican man with full on tackles. The pit quickly went from fun to screwed up.
Old 07-15-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
I've been to several shows like that. The only time it really kind of scared me was when I saw Tool at Coachella (a big outdoor festival type of concert), because there was basically no where to go from the position we were standing at. I was hanging on for dear life not wanting to fall down and get crushed. It eventually died down after a few songs when people started to move back. You truely are at the mercy of the force of the crowd sometimes.

O man I was in a crowd like that for Metallica when they played the LA Coliseum. We were waiting for them to go on next and eventhough the day was cool and the concert was in an outdoor stadium the floor was a steamy 90 + degrees. If you passed out you wouldn't even fall you would still be standing it was so tight. You couldn't even bend down to stretch your back(and my back was killing me) or tie your shoes.

The only good thing about crowds like that is getting smashed up against a hot girl's ass or having her tits smashed against your back if she's behind you.
Old 07-15-04, 09:38 PM

Depends on the crowd if you can see a few guys wanting to go.. I get things started.. if it's more mellow just watch the band.
Old 07-15-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only do the Safety Dance.
Old 07-16-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didnt realized there were still "pits". I think the last pit I was in was at a Hatebreed show about 5-6 years ago, and they were doing all this "Hardcore dancing" and I was like wtf?? Plus Im pushing 30 and well I think that pretty much speaks for itself
Old 07-16-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on my mood and the band. If its a band I'm into i'd rather watch the band. If it's the opener and there is a big pit I'll dive in.
Old 07-17-04, 11:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
my friend and I were the UK Reading Music Festival in 1995 and with Ice T and Green Day back to back the main stage (outside in a field) crowd was so crowded and mental that everytime the crowd started to pogo, you had to go along for the ride. Needless to say it was FUN.
Old 07-18-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by happycamper
I saw Pennywise at the HOB and I completely steered clear of that pit, and they're one of my favorite bands to see live. It was out of control.
My first concert ever was Pennywise, and it was also my first pit. There were three opening bands (Blink 182, Dancehall Crashers, and Unwritten Law). When the first band hit the stage, the whole place became a huge pit, and I just had to go with it. I lasted about 6 seconds before being punched in the face by this huge skinhead (I was only 15 at the time, so he probably wasn't that huge).

I went to first aid because I was bleeding and the force of the blow knocked one of my contacts out. I asked them for a bandaid, and they said I needed stitches. I asked if I could be let back in after I got stitches, and they said there was no re-entry. I came back anyways, in time for Pennywise, and stood in the back and watched with my one good eye.

Needless to say, I don't mosh anymore.
Old 07-18-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I go to a concert to watch the band perform live. That's the purpose of a concert. If I want to "mosh", I'll just find a brickwall to run into and have the band's cd playing in the background. That would save me some money.

BTW, has anyone watched a show at Tremont Music Hall in Charlotte? I'm going in a few weeks to see Killswitch Engage, From Autumn to Ashes, Eighteen Visions, and 36 Crazy Fists (one of my fav. bands). How's that place for music?
Old 07-18-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My personal philosophy is that if you're a mosher, you're a stupid mother ****er.

This is why I tend to like rap and hip hop shows over rock shows. With those shows, I have never seen a mosh pit at any of them. One could even say black people don't like moshing. But the most one would have at a rap and hip hop show would consist of a bunch of people jumping up and down to the music with their arms in the air. You won't see a bunch of people running into each other at a rap show. Never.

I have learned from my share of rock shows that:
1. If the band/preformer is civil and mellow then it is okay to go near the front of the stage as there won't be moshing. You'll get a nice view of the performer you want to see and everyone will just be rocking out.
2. If the band/preformer is not civil or mellow, stay as far away from the ****ing stage as far as you can.

You know what? I take number one back, cause I've seen moshing at bands I would never expect it from. Especially when I was near the front of the stage and I was getting punched in the back, face, etc. Hell, people would mosh to anything. Seriously, what's fun in getting in a big crowd of people and running into each other and pushing one another down? I just came to the concert to see the bands I like, not to go home in an ambulence.
Old 07-18-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something even more retarded than moshing is "hardcore dancing." I just got back from a show with a bunch of hardcore bands, and it's laughable what these people will do in public.

Moshing is tame compared to their antics.
Old 07-18-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dislike moshing with a passion, but yeah, if there's a concert I go to with one, I usually end up in/near it. It's just the price to pay to get up front/best position possible to see the band. People that mosh go to the front and center, those that have the common sense to stay clear end up to the sides or back.

When I see a concert, I'd rather risk getting killed to be right up near the band than play it safe and stay in the back. I just don't get the appeal of it though. I'm all for jumping up and down, and all that good stuff, but a mosh pit just doesn't make much sense. When I go to a show, I want to focus on the band performing... You end up in a mosh pit and you can't hardly concentrate on the music to avoid getting trampled.

Ever since Family Values 2001 (Not a club concert, but still) though, I've been paranoid about going to any concert where a mosh might be, regardless of how much I want to see the band. I'm sure there are tons of concerts that are more violent, but I came home with blood on the back of my shirt (Had no idea until I took my shirt off at home. And it was not my blood...), bruises all over and trampled feet from people jumping up and down.

Seeing someone elses blood on you, considering the types some concerts attract, kind of killed my interest in going to a lot of shows. I guess I'm just a pansy.
Old 07-19-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
My personal philosophy is that if you're a mosher, you're a stupid mother ****er.

This is why I tend to like rap and hip hop shows over rock shows. With those shows, I have never seen a mosh pit at any of them. One could even say black people don't like moshing. But the most one would have at a rap and hip hop show would consist of a bunch of people jumping up and down to the music with their arms in the air. You won't see a bunch of people running into each other at a rap show. Never.

Nice.

And people who go to rap and hip hop shows are shitheads.

See how stupid that is?