Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys - Great Great Pop Music

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pet Shop Boys - Great Great Pop Music

Old 07-21-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11
They're great pop craftsmen and have some of the wittier lyrics around, but they're just too, uh, gay for me. I prefer Big Dumb Guitars.

Edit: I just realized that I absolutely love Magnetic Fields, so maybe the gayness isn't the turn off....I dunno.
Hmmm. I'm gay and I love "big dumb guitars"....guess that screws your "theory" such that it is.
Old 07-22-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
LOVE the Pet Shop Boys. Wildly under-rated group.
Old 07-27-04, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Hmmm. I'm gay and I love "big dumb guitars"....guess that screws your "theory" such that it is.
Yep me too! Gay and like 'big dumb guitars".

I think we are a minority within a minority though. :-(

T
Old 07-27-04, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
As many have said, Discography is stellar. "Always on My Mind" is also my favourite, but avoid the extended version for which they added a completely gratuitous bridge that brings the song to a screeching halt.

Is there "gay" music? People listen to music that sounds good to them. I'm sure many gays like Metal or Country.
Good question. I am gay and I have quite different musical tastes to most of my gay mates - and far more in common with my str8 mates. My gay mates are all heavily into Kylie, Steps, and other pop dancey shite, whereas me and the str8 boys are more into rock, country rock, rock/pop, Indie and the like.

So while there is no 'gay' music as such (we all like what we like), there is definitely a stronger gay following for certain artists and they seem to be the more inane, churned out en masse, trite soulless dance pop.

While there are bound to be gay Metallica fans etc, I bet there are more gay Kylie fans and the like.

T
Old 07-27-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Their cover of Go West is friggin' superb.
That entire album [Very] is PERFECTION and one of my favorites of theirs..
Old 07-27-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man...they are so good! Definitely pick up the complete singles collection cd. Some really great stuff.
Old 07-28-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being Boring - the video and song itself really identified with me at that stage of my life ... always liked PSB. Never got around to seeing their show though. Saw some show vids and it looked pretty good.
Old 07-28-04, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rogue588
That entire album [Very] is PERFECTION and one of my favorites of theirs..
Couldn't agree more. Anyone else have the bonus disc from that album- Relentless? 6 tracks of pure bliss.

Gotta love the love for the PSB in this thread. I've been a fan since day one and, while they have disappointed me a couple of times, they are still putting out awesome product on a regular basis.

Also recommend Disco 3 and the PopArt DVD.
Old 07-28-04, 09:56 PM
Banned Scot1458

Erasure was good up until a few cds ago. They lost it big time...although their work through their greatest hits is fantastic. Andy's voice is amazing.

The boys on the other hand have sustained their creativity. My only critisim is I wish they would have branched with their lyrics a bit more and try different styles. But if it ain't broke....

go rent or buy the DVD from a few shows ago, can't remember which album it was for (Bilinqual?) but watched with my buds...all hetros mind you, and we loved it.
Old 07-29-04, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by fuel door
Erasure was good up until a few cds ago. They lost it big time...although their work through their greatest hits is fantastic. Andy's voice is amazing.

The boys on the other hand have sustained their creativity. My only critisim is I wish they would have branched with their lyrics a bit more and try different styles. But if it ain't broke....

go rent or buy the DVD from a few shows ago, can't remember which album it was for (Bilinqual?) but watched with my buds...all hetros mind you, and we loved it.
Have to agree that Erasure have lost their way a bit, and the new ablum "Nightbird" I think it's called due late 04 early 05 is their last chance to prove they still have something to offer.
Old 07-29-04, 08:07 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I have Relentless, and quite a bit of other rare PSB stuff.

I just sold my copies of Aurally 1 and 2 on ebay for 60 dollars a piece.

They were older boots produced by a guy in texas. Lots of rare mixes.
Old 07-29-04, 08:09 AM
Banned Scot1458

Originally posted by redhenry
Have to agree that Erasure have lost their way a bit, and the new ablum "Nightbird" I think it's called due late 04 early 05 is their last chance to prove they still have something to offer.
they lost me awhle ago...with the cd with I say I say I say (the one before Cowboy) I thought it was really weak. Haven't heard their new material since then, but from what I've heard it hasn't improved at all. It's too bad too, I think the material from the Blue Savahnna period were really good. (Drama, Stop, Love to hate you)

Still love Two Ring Circus, that mix of Sometimes rocks.

Last edited by fuel door; 07-29-04 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by fuel door
they lost me awhle ago...with the cd with I say I say I say (the one before Cowboy) I thought it was really weak. Haven't heard their new material since then, but from what I've heard it hasn't improved at all. It's too bad too, I think the material from the Blue Savahnna period were really good. (Drama, Stop, Love to hate you)

Still love Two Ring Circus, that mix of Sometimes rocks.
I know it's nitpicking, but there was an album between I Say... and Cowboy - self titled and hailed as one of their best. It had the cpainted cover and some great trax like Rock Me Gently, Stay With Me, Sono Luminus, and ...damn it, the whole thing is excellent. Check it out!

http://www.onges-erasure-page.co.uk/discography.htm

T
Old 07-29-04, 11:28 PM
Banned

Been a fan of them for while and never have gone too long without listening to their material. My favorite CD is "Alternative". Jack the Lad, New Life, It must be Obvious, and We All Feel Better In the Dark are among my favorite songs by them. Those songs are awesome!
Old 07-30-04, 05:52 AM

Have to agree with We All Feel Better..... and It Must Be Obvious are brilliant, I remember when that album came out they were on a london radio station and played a remix of We All.... with alot more piano on it, and it was beautiful but cannot remember the remix title, its been killing me for years.
I think I might have to search for it again.
Old 07-30-04, 12:16 PM
Banned Scot1458

I know it's nitpicking, but there was an album between I Say... and Cowboy - self titled and hailed as one of their best. It had the cpainted cover and some great trax like Rock Me Gently, Stay With Me, Sono Luminus, and ...damn it, the whole thing is excellent. Check it out!

http://www.onges-erasure-page.co.uk/discography.htm

T
Hmm...maybe I'll check it out. See how it is.

Been a fan of them for while and never have gone too long without listening to their material. My favorite CD is "Alternative". Jack the Lad, New Life, It must be Obvious, and We All Feel Better In the Dark are among my favorite songs by them. Those songs are awesome!

Jack the Lad is a great tune.
Old 07-30-04, 12:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

These are the remixes of WAFBITD.

Mostly as b-sides on the Being Boring CD Singles.

I have them all at home somewhere, I'll try and figure out whats good, of course they are all great.

5:18 We All Feel Better In The Dark (after hours climax)
6:42 We All Feel Better In The Dark (extended mix)
5:18 We All Feel Better In The Dark (ambient mix)

6:47 We All Feel Better In The Dark (12 inch mix)

who ever thought we'd have a 2 page thread on Pet Shop Boys
Old 07-30-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
shameless plug: and don't forget to purchase your DVD copy of PopArt! with 39 videos (AbFab is missing though )
I've been less than pleased with some of the Music Video Distributor titles, in terms of audio.

How's the quality on PopArt!?
Old 07-31-04, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I've been less than pleased with some of the Music Video Distributor titles, in terms of audio.

How's the quality on PopArt!?
It is only Stereo and not 5.1 but is very good quality - almost certainly been cleaned up for the DVD.
Old 07-31-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that you can't be gay and like guitars (paging Dr. Halford). I'm just saying that the Pet Shop Boys don't rock out enough for me.
Old 08-01-04, 03:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I just listed my rarest Pet Shop Boys item on eBay.

Its the Fan Club Christmas CD, a few have sold recently for over 100GBP...
Old 08-02-04, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Their cover of Go West is friggin' superb.
For real! But who did the original? I didn't know it was a remake!
Old 08-02-04, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by vallerie
For real! But who did the original? I didn't know it was a remake!
None other than The Village People. A classis song urging all young gay men to head west, to San Fran in particular where "life is peaceful there..in the open air" etc.

T
Old 08-02-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep me too! Gay and like 'big dumb guitars".

I think we are a minority within a minority though. :-(

T
Yeah....I think we are. I don't care for Kylie or the "divas" who have such a huge gay following. I like Social Distortion, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, The White Stripes, The Donnas, The Hives, Aimee Mann, Pete Yorn. I also love some British bands that are no longer together: Ride, Lush, Elastica, The Primitives, The Darling Buds.
Old 08-02-04, 08:10 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

You know I never new that was a village people song. weird.

Its quite popular now in UK football stadia apparently.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.