Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some DVD-A?SACD recommendations [merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Need some DVD-A?SACD recommendations [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - Can't be touched, the best 5.1 mix you will hear to date (and I've spun the ELP DVD-A, it sounds great, but can't touch Yoshimi) and the music is fantastic.

Others...

Frank Zappa: Halloween (great live show compilation, check out the drum solo for the pan around the room effect)

Yes: Fragile

Metallica: Metallica

The Dark Side Of The Moon SACD sound good as well, but I prefer the stereo mix over the 5.1 remaster.
Old 08-16-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Richard Thompson - Rumour and Sigh

Favorite SACDs -

Roxy Music - Avalon
Bowie - Ziggy
Elton John - GYBR
Old 08-16-04, 01:33 PM

Porcupine Tree - In Abstentia

Their last album. Power chords + Floyd + RadioHead. Great DVDA.

A New album is due out in the next few months.
Old 08-16-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
The Who: Tommy - Pete did a great job overseeing the remix. Nicely done without 5.1 gymnastics.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003 - I was very opposed to him completely re-recording the album. He did a good job of duplicating the music, however. The first track has the instruments "floating" around the soundfield. Pretty cool effect.

Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - One of my favorite recordings of all time in a great 2-disc release.

Queen: The Game - A nice companion set to Night at the Opera. Brian May brings new life to great songs in the remix. I love the clarity of Freddie's vocals.
Old 08-17-04, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now if only Super Furry Animals can jump on the bandwagon here (since they released 5.1 mixes of 'Rings Around the World' and their last album) and release Hybrid SACD reissues of their back catalogue and future releases, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 03-09-05, 10:55 PM

Thought I'd revive the topic, like I'm hoping to revive the hi-res formats

Anyone get anything good lately? I've been listening to my DVD-A of Beck's "Sea Change" which is just a superb 5.1 recording. I'm always looking for more suggestions. BTW in case you guys don't know, there's a few live titles from David Bowie coming to DVD-A in April, very exciting news.
Old 03-10-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NIN: Downward Spiral

It's available as both SACD & Dual Disk. I bought the Dual Disk version.

WOW!

This is not only one of the most surround-deserving CDs, but the final result is nothing short of awesome. The remix brings out all the quiet, ambient sounds you could barely hear in the original stereo version. Hearing this CD in 5.1 makes for a brand new listening experience.
Old 03-10-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I just picked up quite a few of the new R.E.M. DVD-A reissues and I thought they sounded fantastic. There was so much I hadn't noticed before in the songs that it really was like listening to them for the first time. I restricted myself to ONLY picking up 5 of the 8 discs, though.
Old 03-10-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got New Adventures in Hi Fi and it does sound pretty amazing. They really bring the organ up in the mix and are creative with instrument placement.

One problem - The disc won't play in Advanced Resolution mode on my Pioneer DV-563A. It will play in normal DVD mode and on my computer's Creative Labs Advanced Resolution Audigy player.
Old 03-19-05, 01:26 AM

Anyone have any info on upcoming Queen DVD-A releases?

this is a great thread, I have both Queen released thus far, 3 Sting titles (all of which are great) just picked up Metallica tonight and placed an order for Alice cooper's Billion Dollar Babies & Alanis - under Rug today. Now I'm kinda thinking I'll need Goodbye yellow Brick Road as well.
Old 03-19-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Bjork - Vespertine(AWESOME 5.1) and Medulla
Queen- The Game
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
Natalie Merchant- whichever one it was i forget
Old 03-20-05, 08:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts
SACD
Dredg - El Cielo is fantastic. Not a very well-known band, but anyone with an SACD Player should definitely own this disc. Reference quality, in my opinion.
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral is actually available in both SACD and DVD Audio, but the SACD is a better purchase (with a second disc of demos, remixes, and non-album tracks). It's very clear that Trent Reznor worked extremely hard on this release. Say what you want about his lyrical content, but his sense of production-value is spot on.
Snow Patrol - Final Straw. I haven't listened to the entire album yet, but the opening song, and "Run" are fantastic on this format.

I also own Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder, Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism, and Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, but I haven't had the chance to listen to them yet.

DVD-Audio
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. Again, I haven't heard the entire disc, but the first two songs sounded fantastic ("Trains" has my favourite guitar solo of all time, so maybe I'm biased...)
Tweaker - 2AM Wake Up Call isn't exactly a DVD Audio disc, but a DVD version is available that contains the entire album in 5.1 surround. It's definitely worth checking out. Features guest vocalists Will Oldham, Robert Smith, Jennifer Charles, and many more.

I also own Crystal Method - Legion of Boom, but haven't listened to it yet.