DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The one and only Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy ever-changing release date thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/373364-one-only-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-ever-changing-release-date-thread.html)

DVD Josh 02-13-06 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by benedict
:later:

I have my doubts about this. Here we are in February and not even a promo single?

But I agree with Slash - let's see what the hype is about.

Nesbit 02-13-06 05:24 PM

Hopefully they get a nice painting for the cover art to keep with all of their other full albums.

grunter 02-13-06 05:32 PM

Hey, if it actually comes out, bully for Axl.

Although I'm not holding my breath or anything.

Mordred 02-13-06 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
To be honest I don't keep track of album sales at all. Is 100-200k copies the first week good? What is the average for the number 1 selling album of the week?

Missed this when originally posted.

I don't really pay attention to the numbers but I would guess most #1s debut with around 300-350k copies sold nowadays. Occasionally you'll have your massive debuts in the 600K to 1million range, but those are rare. Anything over 150k will probably be top 10 unless there are a lot of high profile debuts. I read today that Scott Stapp's solo album debuted with 94k copies which put it 19th the week it was released.

Glad this is finally seeing the light of day, but I'll be shocked if I ever buy it.

Hollowgen 02-13-06 09:15 PM

wonder what the DELUXE EDITION will be like

Adam Tyner 02-13-06 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
I don't really pay attention to the numbers but I would guess most #1s debut with around 300-350k copies sold nowadays

There are an awful lot of variables. Barry Manilow's new album just debuted at #1 with 156K copies sold. The bottom end of the top 10 was Train's new album with 66K copies sold in its first week.

The week before, Il Divo's album also debuted at #1 with 156K copies sold, with #10 being the soundtrack to Disney's "High School Musical" at 53K copies.

Look back in December, though, and in the space of one week, Mary J. Blige sold 730K copies of her album in one week and Jamie Foxx sold 598K copies of his.

Amel 02-13-06 11:17 PM

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. This record is a complete myth :)

But if it does come out, I hope it's good. We need some good kick ass rock n roll again.

nodeerforamonth 02-14-06 12:37 PM

Well according to blabbermouth.net, Axl & friends were in NYC this weekend celebrating his birthday, and they showed up at a club at 4am and asked them to let them in. As incentive, he brought a copy of "Chinese Democracy" and turned it into a listening party!

GuessWho 02-14-06 04:45 PM

From melodicrock.com on 2/10/06... take with a grain of salt

COULD THE ILLUSION ERA GUNS N ROSES LINE-UP REALLY RETURN?:
Is the impossible actually being considered? Rumors of a Guns N Roses re-union appear to be gathering strength. It all started at British photographer/journalist Ross Halfin's website when he stated that the original Guns N' Roses lineup would get back together in June to play at the Download Festival in England, with Metallica also lined up to play.

That comment was soon withdrawn. Posted was: "I have to write some copy this weekend on Guns 'N Roses for a feature to go with my photos. My mind is blank at the moment. The thing is if you tell the truth it sets off too many wars, or egos way out of control. The original line-up is supposed to play Download in June with their metal chums, Metallica, if Lars can be bothered to turn up."

Now this - on the official Cult message board, frontman Ian Astbury has responded to a post asking after the possible 2006 touring line-up for The Cult. His response: "I love Matt he is a sweetheart..........Velvet Revolver Guns and Roses rumoured return W/SLASH and AXL .......Hey the Cult can barly contain Billy and Myself......But we will have a SHITHOT band for you so patience please."

So Use Your Illusion drummer Matt Sorum appears too busy for Cult duties it seems! Whether this will happen, if it will be a one-off performance or where this will leave the Chinese Democracy release and new Velvet Revolver releases are all questions to be answered in the coming weeks.

nodeerforamonth 02-14-06 05:46 PM

I want to believe it, but I don't.

But Steven Adler had very nice things to say about all the other members in the 20 Questions he did with Metal Sludge a couple weeks ago.

DarthMarino 02-16-06 11:14 AM

A song from Chinese Democracy has leaked onto the internet as well as an 80 second sample of another. It actually sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure any Guns N' Roses forum could point you in the right direction. Seems like the album really is coming.

nodeerforamonth 02-16-06 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
A song from Chinese Democracy has leaked onto the internet as well as an 80 second sample of another. It actually sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure any Guns N' Roses forum could point you in the right direction. Seems like the album really is coming.

Well the forum I went to (heretodaygonetohell) had any references to it deleted and said they would ban anyone who posts a link to it.

Sounds like Axl's lawyers are hard at work.

Curse you Lars for killing Napster!

Nesbit 02-16-06 12:35 PM

Anyone heard is Madagascar will still be on the album?

nodeerforamonth 02-16-06 12:43 PM

Howard Stern is playing IRS right now!

Nesbit 02-16-06 12:46 PM

Wow I can't believe it is actually happening. Huge GNR fan way back when. I will be there the morning it releases.

FrozenMetalHead 02-16-06 05:42 PM

I've been expecting to not like this for so many years now...I kinda like it. I'm not saying it's the equal of Appetite here, but at first listen - it's not bad at all.

The Cow 02-16-06 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
I.R.S. is almost interesting.

Yeah, I agree.

It sounds like it could be decent, but those lyrics are really bad.

DVD Josh 02-16-06 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, I agree.

It sounds like it could be decent, but those lyrics are really bad.

You can understand the lyrics? Impressive :D

I've always like the music of IRS. Good song.

Nesbit 02-17-06 09:28 AM

IRS reminds me more of Led Zeppelin than GNR. I don’t listen to Led much though so I may be way off. Anyone else hear that?

Pointyskull 02-17-06 10:06 AM

Weird GNR-related personal story:

My parents just moved into an assisted-living complex near Bourbonnais, IL. Middle of nowhere. During one of our preliminary visits to scope the place out, we were show a craft room where the residents painted birdhouses.

One of the birdhouses was adorned with GNR decals and logos, and we were informed that Axl Rose's grandmother lives there, and that he sends her stuff to wear.

benedict 02-17-06 11:24 AM

Anyone tempted to post links to copyright material that has not officially been made available for public consumption please re-read the board rules and the reminder in the sticky thread atop this page.

turborobb 02-17-06 05:06 PM

why do people still care about GnR? hasn't this album been coming out for 10 years now? If you want to hear some really good Sunset Strip hair metal from a band that actually still puts out new music, go buy one of the new L.A. Guns CDs.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Man On The Moon (2001)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Waking The Dead (2002)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Tales From The Strip (2005)

I suck! lol images fixed

auto 02-17-06 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by turborobb
why do people still care about GnR? hasn't this album been coming out for 10 years now? If you want to hear some really good Sunset Strip hair metal from a band that actually still puts out new music, go buy one of the new L.A. Guns CDs.

http://www.laguns.net/html/discograp...rs/lp_moon.jpg
Man On The Moon (2001)

http://www.laguns.net/html/discograp.../lp_waking.jpg
Waking The Dead (2002)

http://www.laguns.net/html/discograp...s/lp_tales.jpg
Tales From The Strip (2005)

I'd consider it but their album covers suck.

http://teamkyoto.free.fr/data/500/4blind.JPG

Nesbit 02-17-06 08:09 PM

Heard some more possible songs from the new album and a few of them sound like Elton John balads. Was Elton John ever thought of as a complete ass when he was in his heavy drug years? Wondering because that style doesn't come off too well when you think of the person as a complete joke/ass.

Geofferson 02-18-06 02:17 PM

I heard IRS on a local rock station last night. Definitely not the song I expected to hear, but will give it a few more listens before I make a solid opinion on it. I'm still in kind of a shock. ;)

dvduser6 02-18-06 04:48 PM

Listened to IRS yesterday. Clearly, this sounds nothing like GNR. I think those that buy or listen to the new material thinking it picks up where UUI 1 & 2 left off, they are probably in for a disappointment. If you can listen to it as an Axl Rose solo album and ignore the fact that it's still going to be filed under "G", you may have a different opinion. FWIW, I didn't think the track was that bad. Not ground-breaking, but if the rest of the disc has some tracks on par with this, it may not be a bad listen.

Matt 02-18-06 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
If you can listen to it as an Axl Rose solo album and ignore the fact that it's still going to be filed under "G", you may have a different opinion.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was listening to the tracks the other day. When I buy the album and put it on my iPod, I don't think there's any way that I can label it "Guns N' Roses" and feel good about it. I'm usually a stickler for having things labeled "correctly," but to do so in this case would be an insult to the old guys. I think I'll just call it "The Axl Rose Project" or "The Axl Rose Musical Revue" or something.

But I'm like most of you guys--I didn't think the new stuff sounded that bad. Obviously nowhere near the old Gn'R, but a hell of a lot better than "Oh My God," though, too. I'm a little more optimistic about the record now.

Matt 02-22-06 01:22 PM

From a duplicate thread:

Leaked Guns N' Roses Tracks Give Fans Hope

NEW YORK - Guns N' Roses fans went into frenzied overdrive when three studio-quality tracks from the mythical "Chinese Democracy" album were leaked onto the Internet.

The leaks came just weeks after frontman Axl Rose ended his hermit-like lifestyle by venturing out to a Korn tour launch party in Los Angeles and to trendy nightclubs for some post-birthday bashes (his 44th) in Manhattan.

Asked at the Korn bash about "Chinese Democracy," which has been in the making for a decade, Rose told Rolling Stone.com that "people will hear music this year."

The tracks leaked Wednesday take a different direction from Rose's traditional raunchy Sunset Strip-style rock. "Better" has emo/industrial touches mixed with Rose's trademark vocals and hard rock backdrop. "There Was A Time" is a rough studio mix of a power ballad with similarities to GNR's classic "Estranged." "IRS" is closer to the sound of yesteryear, with powerful guitar solos and classic rock flavor.

Rose's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, ordered the Internet sites to remove the links, but declined to comment on them. Fans also sent one of the leaked tracks to radio stations. Mercuriadis said cease-and-desist orders were sent to the stations, but some, such as WAAF in Boston, still had "IRS" in heavy rotation Monday night.

News also surfaced Monday that several music festivals, such as the Rock in Rio-Lisboa and the NovaRock festival in Austria, had booked the band to play in May and June, respectively.

Lisa Reed, wife of keyboard player Dizzy Reed, said on her husband's web site that "all signs point to (the album) getting closer and closer," and she pleaded with fans not to leak the rest of the album.

"It's like shaking all your Christmas presents on the 23rd of December," she wrote, "and figuring out what they are."

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 02-22-06 02:30 PM

Guns N Roses.... Emo?

cungar 02-22-06 02:57 PM

Heard some more possible songs from the new album and a few of them sound like Elton John balads. Was Elton John ever thought of as a complete ass when he was in his heavy drug years? Wondering because that style doesn't come off too well when you think of the person as a complete joke/ass.

When I was in high school in the late 70's he was losing his popularity and it was pretty uncool to be a fan of his. Everyone at my school were into Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, Queen etc. I remember a kid wearing an Elton John shirt to school and being ridiculed. Of course in the mid 70's before he announced his bisexuality, he was the biggest act in the world.

Dudikoff 02-22-06 10:51 PM

With studio help, as always, Axl's voice can still sound very good. That high note that he hits at the end of I.R.S. is incredible. I love the song just for that. There's no way he can sound that good live. Come to think of it, he always sounded pretty shitty live. God please let this album come out. I need some good hard rock music this year.

SeekOnce 02-22-06 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dudikoff
With studio help, as always, Axl's voice can still sound very good. That high note that he hits at the end of I.R.S. is incredible. I love the song just for that. There's no way he can sound that good live. Come to think of it, he always sounded pretty shitty live. God please let this album come out. I need some good hard rock music this year.

Reminds me of that performance at the MTV Music Awards (I think) just a couple years ago. All out of breath. Couldn't hit the high notes. Quite embarassing. Alot of talk about it afterwards I remember.

Dudikoff 02-22-06 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Reminds me of that performance at the MTV Music Awards (I think) just a couple years ago. All out of breath. Couldn't hit the high notes. Quite embarassing. Alot of talk about it afterwards I remember.

He couldn't hit the high notes when I saw him in 1991. He has a great studio voice though, like most singers. I'm listening to Def Leppard right now and Joe Elliot's voice is very similiar to Axl's. Velvet Revolver should've got Elliot as thier lead.

Cyberock 02-23-06 02:12 AM

I was a huge GnR fan! I will have to agree that the leaked tracks I have heard sound nothing like GnR. The songs aren't bad though. I'll buy the cd when it comes out.

Nesbit 02-23-06 07:44 PM

OK after listening to IRS a few dozen times I've made up my mind about it. It is a good song but not something that should be on an album that is 10+ years in the making. It isn't like the band hasn't been in the studio. Even with the off time they have been in the studio for a LONG TIME.

For big GNR fans I think it is a lot like Perfect Crime. Awesome song with lyrics about what Axl is going to do or did but you never really get to understand what the fuck he is singing about which almost ruin it. You have to be a pretty big GNR fan to remember Perfect Crime and you'll have to be a pretty big fan to remember IRS in 5-6 years.

If IRS' lyrics weren't embarrassingly bad it would be a great song. Oh and I think Axl hit plenty of notes like he did at the end of IRS on the Use Your Illusion albums. Good song. Hopefully it's not the first single that they are banking on to be a huge hit because the thing will sink.

Bugg 02-23-06 08:03 PM

I'm listening to Def Leppard right now and Joe Elliot's voice is very similiar to Axl's.
:hscratch:

They don't sound even a little bit similiar to me.

DVD Josh 02-23-06 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bugg

What? I confuse Wanna Get Rocked for Mr. Brownstone all the time.

Matt 02-23-06 09:19 PM

Oh and I think Axl hit plenty of notes like he did at the end of IRS on the Use Your Illusion albums.

With more studio help, though. The high notes he's hitting on these recordings sound completely unnatural, compared to what the high notes on the older albums sounded like. And it's highly-unlikely that his voice would have gotten that much better in fifteen years.

Listen to the (oft-forgotten) Live Era album. For people familiar with their live shows, the vocals on the live album sounded totally fake. His high notes sounded nowhere near that clean during their live shows (especially as the show progressed), so they tweaked it in the studio (if they didn't re-record it entirely) to make it "sound better" for the live album.

No reason to think they wouldn't have done the same this time around.

Dudikoff 02-23-06 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bugg

Listen to High N' Dry, where the vocals aren't quite as over-produced as Pyromania and Hysteria. I'm not saying that they sound identical, just that they have very similiar vocal styles.

GuessWho 03-07-06 05:45 PM

This press release hit the newswires today

March 06, 2006 12:30 PM US Eastern Timezone
Axl Rose Responds to Lawsuit

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 6, 2006--W. Axl Rose, on Friday March 3, 2006 responded to one of Saul "Slash" Hudson's baseless lawsuits by filing a counterclaim asking the Federal Court to confirm his ownership of his own creative works. Slash and Michael "Duff" McKagan had previously filed cases both in Federal Court and in the Los Angeles Superior Court making numerous false allegations about Axl. Mr. Rose believes that once apprised of the true facts the Judge or Jury deciding these lawsuits will rule in Axl's favor on every issue before them.

More surprising to Axl are recent media reports that Slash (Saul Hudson) is claiming that he has always been supportive of Axl Rose and the new Guns N' Roses. Slash's actions in recent years have in fact been anything but supportive. Besides the lawsuits filed against Axl Rose, claiming, among other things, that Axl does not own the copyright in the songs that Axl co-authored with his former Guns N' Roses band mates, Slash has continually made negative and malicious statements about Axl in order to garner publicity for himself.

As an example the Federal lawsuit Hudson and McKagan filed was based on a faulty premise from the start. What Hudson and McKagan attempted to portray as egregious misconduct by Axl was in fact -- as Slash and Duff have learned -- nothing more than a clerical error committed by ASCAP. Had Slash and Duff or their representatives bothered to pick up the phone the clerical error could have been easily sorted out without the need for filing an utterly baseless lawsuit which one can only assume had been filed for the purposes of self-publicity at Axl's expense.

The lawsuit also attacks Axl's integrity as Slash and Duff, in a vindictive attempt to aggrandize their own stature, re-write history through false statements, which have been repeated by the media. Their attacks on Axl stand in sharp contrast to Rose's conduct. Axl has at all times worked diligently to maintain the artistic integrity of the band by choosing with great care which properties to license Guns N' Roses songs to and refusing to participate in what he believed were potentially embarrassing projects. He has fought to avoid the release of material that does not live up to the highest of standards demanded by the band's history and it's followers. Axl chose not to respond through the media while taking the high road in the face of Slash and Duff's attacks. Hudson and McKagan, by contrast, have told ever changing - and false - stories regarding the formation of the band and it's history and believe that the band's catalogue should be exploited without careful consideration - for the Guns N' Roses brand and their loyal audience - or Axl's input as if it were fast food by anyone willing to pay for it.

For over 10 years Slash, a consummate press, photo and media opportunist and manipulator, has attacked Axl Rose on a number of levels. Slash's actions whether in or out of Gun's N' Roses have been a complete betrayal across the board of his alleged friendship and business relationship with Axl and the so called brotherhood and band loyalties that are supposed to have existed. Instead Slash has publicly attempted, by soliciting public and media support, to take credit for something that was not his or anyone else's to take, notwithstanding that Slash played a major part in the success of the band as Axl has continually acknowledged.

Mr. Rose's attorney Howard Weitzman commented, "Axl regrets having to spend time and energy on these distractions but he has a responsibility to protect the Guns N' Roses legacy and expose the truth. Axl believes he has been left with no alternative but to respond to these lawsuits. It would have been Axl's preference to resolve disputes with Slash and Duff in private. The courthouse is not his choice of forum. However, Axl could no longer sit quietly and allow the continuing dissemination of falsehoods and half-truths by his former band-mates."