Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The most important ALBUM in your development as lover of all things music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The most important ALBUM in your development as lover of all things music?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The most important Album in your developement as lover of all thigns music?

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Old 07-02-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's an interesting question....

can there really just be one?

maybe LZ IV
Old 07-03-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this is a hard question to nail to just one album...perhaps if you were looking for a specific moment of influence....wait...wasn't that what the question was? I'll just shut up and respond.

Iron Maiden: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

This album was what made me a metal head, or rather, it's what really got me into loving all things with loud guitars. I'd had Kiss Dynasty and another album or two in my LP collection at that point...but it wasn't my "main" music. In fact, at that point, my main music would be bass/rap. A few Run DMC albums, even some Whodini, 2 Live Crew (REALLY old stuff...before the "controversy").

Well, the fact that a dude could sing so damn well, that guitars could be so melodic...I just wanted to hear more and more of it.

I think the most recent influential swing might be Killswitch Engage: The End of Heartache. I'm finally getting used to music with the harsh vocals in it...although perhaps I might want to give the honors to Max Cavalera, first with Sepultura and now Soulfly.

Did I answer the question? What was it again?
Old 07-03-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Old 07-03-04, 11:05 AM

Stick with me here...I kinda ramble for a bit til I get to the point.

I've always been a huge fan of music since I was a kid (born in 75). First pop/rock records that I vividly recall were MJ's "Thriller," ZZ Tops "Eliminator," and Cindy Lauper's "She's So Unusual." From there I moved on to mid-eighties metal (Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot). 1986-87 was Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, etc. Regardless, through 1989, I never strayed from the MTV, Top 40 radio format.

1989 was when I went country. I was so bored with New Kids, Bobby Brown, and everything else that was out there, I grabbed a Hank Jr. CD and said this will due. I followed that up with the debut albums by Clint Black and Garth Brooks, as well as the then most recent album by George Strait. Well, as most people know, once Garth blew up a year later, country became a money-making machine that churned out disposable country/pop trying to emulate the Garth phenomenon. Well, by the spring of 1994(senior year of high school), I was sick of country.

I'd stayed up with the current "hits" on MTV during this time, somewhat (I knew the videos by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc), but never bought any albums, or really thought much of them. In April of '94 (partly influenced by Cobain's death), I went to CD Warehouse and snagged copies of Nirvana "Nevermind," Stone Temple Pilots "Core," Beastie Boys "Check Your Head," and R.E.M. "Green" (I'd had the cassette of that pre-country).

Country died a very, very quick death that day. While I enjoyed all the CDs I snagged, it was Check Your Head that twisted the dagger deep, deep into Music Row (actually, Nashville, pretty much killed it, but another topic). That summer I went on a splurge and snagged everything by the Beasties, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and another big influence for me at the time Beck's "Mellow Gold." From there, my musical tastes have branched out considerably.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't turned my back on country, just on the stuff that's on country radio - pretty much all radio is worthless to me come to think of it.

So to recap - album with the biggest effect on my musical tastes - Check Your Head.
Old 07-03-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Sepultura- Arise
-Introduced me (when I got it on tape around middle school), to the world of metal and heavy music in general

Candiria- Process of Self Development
-Basically my forray into the more technical side of music. Weird time changes and such. But this band manages to mix so many different styles of music, when I first heard this CD I was blown away. It still remains one of my favorite CDs to this day.

sorry i picked two
Old 07-03-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Journey-Escape.
Old 07-03-04, 03:34 PM

My main man..

TOM WAITS - Bone Machine
I believe is what I first listened to and now I can't stop listening to anything he has to put out.
Old 07-03-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll try and jump away from childhood biggies like the Beatles.

I think I'd go with REM's "Murmur". Just really opened my mind to new ideas back in '83.
Old 07-03-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Afghan Whigs --- 'Black Love'
Old 07-03-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Dream Theater - Awake

This is the album that made me realize how crappy the other shit I was listening to really was. i.e. early 90's pop music(forvige me, I was in HS at the time). A friend brought a mix tape to work with Pull Me Under on it and I loved that, but never picked up that cd. I just listened to some of Awake on one of those listening stations at the mall and had to have it.

After about 8 weeks of listening to this album non-stop, I totally gave up pop, and took a crash course in all things rock. In about 3 years time I learned and came to appreciate everything rock under the sun. Classic, modern rock, metal, 'hair metal,' everything. Sold almost all of my previous CDs to buy some real music. Thanks for making me see the light, DT.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-03-04 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-03-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-03-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Without a doubt, Garbage by Garbage. Until I heard Only Happy When It Rains one day while shopping in 1995, when I was 11, I just wasn't interested in music. That song, and later that album, changed everything.
Old 07-03-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK Computer. Before then I was pretty jaded on 'modern' rock and was pretty much only into classic rock (my favorite band being Pink Floyd; still one of my faves). Then my first-year college roommate introduced me to a bunch of new music, and OK Computer was my gateway into appreciating modern rock, which led to other modern genres as well.
Old 07-03-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream
Old 07-03-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was either Orbital "Snivilisation" or Trashcan Sinatras "I've Seen Everything"

Before that, I only was interested in stuff on the radio.
Old 07-04-04, 03:29 AM

Sisters Of Mercy - "Floodland"

and

Bad Religion - "No Control"

changed my view forever in a jaw-dropping kind of way.
Old 07-04-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-04-04, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Green Day - Dookie

Still love that album to this day.
Old 07-04-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tofu
It was either Orbital "Snivilisation" or Trashcan Sinatras "I've Seen Everything"

Before that, I only was interested in stuff on the radio.
tofu, have you and I ever talked about the Trash Can Sinatras before? "I've Seen Everything" is my favorite recording of the 90's. It's a disc that I never tire of and know I'll still be loving it when I'm 80-years-old.
Old 07-04-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd have to say The Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream or Radiohead's OK Computer.
Old 07-04-04, 12:40 PM

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass
Old 07-04-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

u2 Joshua Tree
Old 07-04-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Old 07-04-04, 02:26 PM

Radiohead - OK COMPUTER

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.