Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Polyphonic Spree: what should I listen to?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been reading and hearing about Polyphonic Spree quite a bit lately, and my curiosity is piqued.

If you're a PS fan, what are a few of their better tunes to give me a fair sampling of what they're all about?
Old 06-29-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently they only have one album, "The Beginning Stages of..."

But their second album, "Together We're Heavy," will be released July 13th in the US. All of the tracks on that one are amazing (I got an advance.)
Old 06-29-04, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never actually listened to PS, but a friend of mine is constantly prodding me to give them a whirl. I'm a huge fan of the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds album, and he keeps saying that if I like that then I'll like PS.
Old 06-29-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing about "The Beginning Stages of..." is that it is just as it implies, the beginnings of the band. I think it says it the liner notes that it was recorded in a quick three day session.

Most of the tracks are decent except for the final track, "Long Day," which is 37 minutes of a repetitive noise. The bonus EP with the Hollywood Records release of the album is excellent and provides the single versions of some of the songs as well as some reworked tracks.

If you REALLY want to do right with the first album, buy the import UK version with the R2 bonus DVD. They re-recorded all the tracks from the US version after they started to get a fell for each other as a band. It really helps the the songs.

Their new album is incredible. If you want a first Spree album, get this one (July 13th)!