Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

johnny ramone fighting prostate cancer. :(

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 07:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone is in a Los Angeles hospital battling prostate cancer, according to his longtime bandmate, drummer Marky Ramone. "Johnny's been a champ in confronting this, but at this point I think the chances are slim," says Marky, who joined the Ramones in 1977 when Tommy Ramone left the band.
"John never smoked cigarettes, he wasn't a heavy drinker and he was always into his health," Marky continues. "It just proves when cancer seeks a body to penetrate, it doesn't matter how healthy you are or how unhealthy you are. It just seeps in and there's nothing you can do."

The fifty-five-year-old guitarist, born John Cummings, first learned of his condition four years ago and has undergone extensive chemotherapy.

"I've been getting so much email from people and from papers and magazines wanting to know what was up I had to take it upon myself to say something, because eventually John won't be in any condition to say or do anything," Marky says. "He went through many chemotherapy treatments. Some of it worked better than others. At this point [the cancer] has started to go into other areas of the body."

Widely acknowledged as the world's first punk band, the Ramones have lost two members in the last three years, with singer Joey Ramone's death in 2001 of lymphatic cancer and bassist Dee Dee Ramone's death from a drug overdose the following year.

Johnny Ramone retired from music following the Ramones' final tour in 1996, and, after more than two decades spent on the road, the Ramones leader felt little temptation to continue playing.

"I was ninety-nine percent sure I was not going to come back and play," Johnny told Rolling Stone in 2001. "I was always open, but I didn't want to go back on tour under any circumstances. If they could have come up with an offer that I couldn't refuse for one week of jobs, somewhere in the world, I would have thought about it."

Despite a poor prognosis, Johnny remains upbeat. "He seemed in good spirits the last time I saw him," says Marky. "He was talking about the positive things the Ramones accomplished: getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame [in 2002], how our music is being accepted at this point. It put a smile on his face. Knowing John, he'll fight this horrible disease to the end. Everybody is wishing the best and hoping the best. We'll stand by him."

so sad
Old 06-15-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That sucks.
Old 06-15-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow... this is very sad to hear. What horrible years in the Ramones' camp. Can you give a source for this article?
Old 06-15-04, 09:28 PM
Suspended

I've been a Ramones fan for 25 years...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ple_ramones_dc
Old 06-15-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope he can get better.
Old 06-15-04, 09:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Wow... this is very sad to hear. What horrible years in the Ramones' camp. Can you give a source for this article?

sorry bout that. its form rollingstone.com
Old 06-16-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prostate cancer usually isn't this serious. I guess it went unchecked for a while. That sucks.
Old 06-16-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of four musicians who is outspoken about politics that actually makes any sense and he has to get cancer! Such a shame!
Old 06-16-04, 10:47 AM

edit

Last edited by K Tm S; 05-10-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-16-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
One of four musicians who is outspoken about politics that actually makes any sense and he has to get cancer! Such a shame!
Thanks for politicizing his illness. When will cancer learn to leave the Republicans alone?

What the former members of the Rammones have been going through the last few years is truly tragic. I missed my chance to see them in 96 and I'm still kicking myself.
Old 06-16-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from blabbermouth.net:

Despite published reports to the contrary, RAMONES guitarist Johnny Ramone is not dying of cancer, his doctor has told MTV News.

Ramone, who has been living with prostate cancer for the past several years, was recently admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles with what his physician, Dr. David Agus, told MTV News was a "complication from the cancer. But he got through it, and he's now on a new, experimental therapy. He's fighting courageously, and I think he will be going home in the near term."

Johnny's wife, Linda, added: "He's not dying. He was okay for years, and he's fine now. He's in the hospital, but he's not in ICU. And I think he may be leaving by tomorrow."