Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Polyphonic Spree - Together We're Heavy

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Polyphonic Spree - Together We're Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i believe it's a concert.
Old 07-08-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's no DVD information on the Polyphonic Spree's website. However, the artwork for the DVD promo of the Light and Day video is very similar to the artwork of the new album. If that's all the DVD is, I'll probably stick with my promo copy. If it's a live show, well, that's a different story.
Old 07-09-04, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
There's no DVD information on the Polyphonic Spree's website. However, the artwork for the DVD promo of the Light and Day video is very similar to the artwork of the new album. If that's all the DVD is, I'll probably stick with my promo copy. If it's a live show, well, that's a different story.
a recent reissue of the first album in the UK included a bonus 'live' DVD, my guess is that this new album will include that DVD. But I haven't heard or read anything to confirm that... so... my guess is a good as anyone??
Old 07-13-04, 11:07 AM

Bonus DVD content:

• A Blessed Out Occasion – Live at the Summersonic Festival, Tokyo 2003:
    ‘Anthem for Summer Camp’/It’s the Sun/Light & Day/ When the Fool Becomes a King’

• Air Near the Ground – Live at the Cabaret Metro, Chicago 2003:
    Soldier Girl/Hanging Around the Day (Parts 1 and 2)/It’s the Sun

• ‘Confession of an Instigator’ – An Interview with Tim DeLaughter

• ‘Moving Pictures’ – Videos/Light & Day/Light & Day (animated version)/The Tramp (A Vignette)

• ‘Quest for the Rest’ game.
  • Old 07-13-04, 02:49 PM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

awesome, on my way to pick it up then
    Old 07-13-04, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
    Just bought myself my second copy of the disc. Couldn't pass it up when I saw how good the free dvd was.
    Old 07-13-04, 06:29 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    I picked the CD up this afternoon at Sam Goody (thank God for my $15 GC I had) and I'm enjoying the CD and DVD to no end. A huge step up from their first CD, which I thought was great.
    Old 07-14-04, 10:31 AM

Excellent. Is it just certain copies or do all the new CD's come with the DVD?
    Old 07-14-04, 11:15 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to buy it, but I am flat broke gathering money for my new apartment .
    Old 07-14-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
    I really want to buy it, but I am flat broke gathering money for my new apartment .
    Have a garage sale this weekend, before you move.
    Old 07-15-04, 11:21 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
    I just picked it up from Best Buy for $9.99 and it had the DVD as advertised.
    Old 07-18-04, 10:54 PM
    Banned

Picked mine up this weekend at Best Buy. Great stuff. The Light & Day Animated Video is SWEET!!

And best of all, there's at least ONE hot ass chick in the group. The cameramen seem to like her to.
    Old 07-19-04, 09:41 AM

This album is somewhat of a disappointment IMO, the album really didn't grab me. All the songs sound the same. My initial impression was quite lacklustre, I need to relisten to this album.
    Old 08-17-04, 09:56 AM

well, I saw the Spree 'live' last night and wow, that was fun (after four vodka's everything fun). The crowd was quite into it as well as everyone on stage for that matter. So even though they put on a great show at the 9:30, the soundmix was terrible, it was way too loud and everything was garbled (why even bother amping this show when there are so many singers and instruments?) The fantastic "Soldier Girl" was performed with such panache and intensity, it seemed a tad too rushed. Tim near the end of the show announced that our DC show was being recorded!! and one wonders when, if and how this recording will be released. So, all in all, the show was a blast, and for a Monday night it all ended promptly at 11pm (hooray an extra hour of sleep!)
    Old 08-17-04, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm still loving both albums.
    Old 08-18-04, 05:03 PM

was looking at ICE Magazine this afternoon, and I noted that there is a DVD-Audio edition of the album and its in 5.1 DTS Surround Sound... hmm me thinks I should splurge and buy this.
    Old 08-18-04, 05:10 PM

well, I might have spoken to quickly, the only info I can find on this online is a UK DVD-Audio edition that is slated for the 13th of Sept.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...A&title=184380

oh well, (sigh) sorry..
    Old 08-24-04, 07:35 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
    DTS ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES FEATURE-LOADED DVD-AUDIO VERSION OF THE POLYPHONIC SPREE'S "TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY"

Surround Sound Mix Launches An Adventure In Listening

Agoura Hills, CA - August 24, 2004 - DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) (Nasdaq: DTSI) entertainment label, DTS Entertainment (DTSE,) announces a September 14th street date for the 5.1-channel surround sound DVD-A of The Polyphonic Spree's second release, Together We're Heavy. With the stereo version just released in July, Together We're Heavy is a masterpiece of pure creativity that melds many different styles of music - from David Bowie to The Beatles, from Pink Floyd to The Beach Boys.

Hailing from Dallas, TX, The Polyphonic Spree is a 24-member band that is paving new ground in music today. The brainchild of former Tripping Daisy singer Tim DeLaughter, the group is an ongoing experiment with one man's vision and the talent of two dozen accomplished musicians / voices propelling the venture. The sound of The Polyphonic Spree is evolving, though it is currently harnessed under the term "choral symphonic pop band" until its own truly unique catch phrase is coined. Known for their powerful live performances in which they perform in flowing long robes, singing and dancing their hearts out, the group features trumpet, trombone, harp, French horn, theremin, flute, pedal steel guitar, keyboards, piano and ten-piece choir, along with Tim's voice and the usual guitar, bass and drums.

Mixed by renowned producer Frank Filipetti, Together We're Heavy DVD-A features many extras, including:

- Exclusive surround remixes of all 10 tracks
    - DVD-Audio surround & stereo, plus DTS for DVD-Video players
    - Two versions of the "Light & Day" video in 16 x 9 widescreen
    - Video interview session with Tim DeLaughter
    - Special "Mix Breakdown" track - "Hold Me Now"
    - Onscreen biography and photo gallery

"The Polyphonic Spree has such a big, dynamic sound, with so many elements, that the group's music is an ideal medium for creating a powerful surround experience," said Jeff Skillen, Vice President of DTS Entertainment. "Fans familiar with their work as well as those hearing them for the first time will be blown away by the 5.1-channel remix of Together We're Heavy - there are so many nuances that truly come to life in surround."

"Working on the surround mix for Together We're Heavy was an amazing experience," said Tim DeLaughter. "For the first time, we were able to truly realize what we had envisioned musically as a group. I definitely intend to create more multi-channel mixes in the future."
    Old 08-25-04, 02:01 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Wow. That sounds extremely fucking cool. If I have some extra cash, I might just have to buy it.