Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen...any tour reviews yet???

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have had two shows already and there seems to be nothing out on it or at least I can't find it. Anyone hear anything yet about the shows?
Old 06-14-04, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

vhstrungout has some stuff that I think came from vhlinks

I celebrated the lauch in Sammy's CABO WABO in mexico this weekend Anyway its sounds like the show rocked and the set list is cool!

from VHS0 Mod

Well our a friend Fan Halen over at vhlinks is at the show tonight and he has been kind enough to talk with another fellwo vh links member via instant messenger tonight about what's been going on.

So here's the rundown, the show just ended at 10:30 PM Eastern Time.

He says the band sounds great, all of them sound like they haven't missed a beat. The band has been very animated and tons of interaction with the crowd. Ed has even been slapping some of the fans' hands.

Sammy has been signing autographs as he's singing. He's also been filling up cups of beer and giving it to the audience.

Ed's got the same samurai hair going, shirtless with cargo pants. Mike's in a vintage VH t-shirt and jeans. FH says Sammy "should be in Cabo," so I guess we know what he's wearing. Al is wearing a white headband and is shirtless as well.

Tons of banners being thrown up on stage, reminds him of the LWAN video, for a good analogy.

Here's the set list so far, I know JMJ posted it earlier, but this has a little more detail to it.

1. Jump
2. Runaround
3. "My Generation" riff (The Who)
4. Humans Being
5. Up For Breakfast (with the 5150 Kramer)
6. Mikey's Solo (with the JD bass)
7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor (with Mike on lead vocals)
8. Poundcake
9. It's About Time
10. Al's Solo
11. Top Of The World
12. Unchained
13. Why Can't This Be Love? (all singing)
14. Eagles Fly
15. Deeper Kind Of Love (I would assume Sam solo)
16. Learning To See
17. Best Of Both Worlds
18. Eddie's Solo (no Wolfie)
19. Dreams
20. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
21. Right Now

Encore:
22. You Really Got Me
23. Panama
24. When It's Love

That's where he is so far, I'll update the set list in this post as the night goes on.

Ed was very moved by reaction to his solo, really thanked the crowd.

There's about 75 or so people in the ring, and about 10,000 in the audience. It's very packed FH said, especially for Greensboro, the way upper levels are covered with black tarp.

A great light show during "Right Now." Also during that song, updated the video for it with stuff about Bush and the Iraqi War, combined with the old footage.

There's one main middle screen that FH says looks like a planet, then two smaller side screens.

Ed is moving around well, he's not running around. But he's jumping here and there.

FH says Sam is very energized and animated. His voice sounds great.

Sam has been running around on the ring all night, Mike has been up there from time to time. Eddie not very much at all.

Sam thanked the fans before they started the encore, really appreciated everyone sticking around all these years. Has kept his sunglasses on most of the show.

Ed has played that orange sunburst Wolfie the entire show except for the 5150 Kramer on "Breakfast."

Eddie just said it's the "best day of his life."

So there ya go, first night is in the books!!!!!!
Old 06-14-04, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

photos here from second night

May need to reg with vhstrungout to see ?????
Old 06-14-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks like a disappointing setlist. Other than the new songs and Somebody Get Me A Doctor, it's the same old shit.
Old 06-14-04, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Its a greatest hits tour and they have been gone for 10 years. They have to play this stuff. I will bet as the show gets moving they will add some covers - they always have at least in Los Angeles.

I could do without poundcake but what would you add?
Old 06-14-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
Its a greatest hits tour and they have been gone for 10 years. They have to play this stuff. I will bet as the show gets moving they will add some covers - they always have at least in Los Angeles.

I could do without poundcake but what would you add?
I actually like Poundcake alot. I would like to see the following cut:

either Runaround or Top Of The World
When It's Love
Dreams
Best Of Both Worlds
Jump or Panama
I would also ditch the Sammy solo stuff, although I can understand why they let him have a little section as the others all get a solo section (I would be all for ditching that stuff as well, I'm not much for soloing)

Just more rocking stuff and less pop. I'm not even saying that they need to play more DLR-era stuff (though that would be nice), just harder and deeper Sammy-era cuts, like Good Enough, Sucker In A 3 Piece, 5150, Summer Nights, Judgment Day, Pleasuredome, etc.
Old 06-14-04, 01:53 PM

I think the only other songs I would of liked to hear is Running with the Devil and The Craddle will Rock.
Old 06-14-04, 02:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how it would sound if they did "This Planet's On Fire"!

Old 06-14-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I was afraid of...dominated by the VH stuff I could care less about.

Add any of these....So This Is Love, Runnin W/ the Devil, Cradle Will Rock , Jamies' Cryin, Dance the Night, Everybody Wants Some, Atomic Punk, Sinners Swing, Hot For Teacher, Dreams, Summer Nights....

I know, it's mostly DLR but these songs are great....better than 4-6 other songs on that list.

And can they finally get rid of all of the solo's except EVH, although his has been stale forever, since everyone wants to see him play?
Old 06-14-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also read (since I just found out the tour started) they cannot sell even half the place out...not a good sign so far.
Old 06-14-04, 07:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

interesting fact: my old eye doctor who passed away last year was David Lee Roth's father and ex manager. Real nice man.

RIP Dr. Roth. My eyes haven't been the same since...
Old 06-18-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess they don't like Balance?
Old 06-18-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is another set list from the other day...seems a few changes have been made...which is good sign...although Devil took the place of Doctor...should have kept both in...and they have to replace the last song...what a let down to end the show.

Jump
Runaround
Humans Being
Up For Breakfast
Bass Solo
Runnin' with the Devil
Poundcake
It's About Time
Drum Solo
Dreams
Unchained
Why Can't This Be Love
Eagles Fly
Seventh Seal
Best of Both Worlds
Guitar Solo
Top of the World
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Right Now
ENCORE:
You Really Got Me
Panama
When It's Love
Old 06-18-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NO kidding. I can't think of a more p***y way to end a show than When It's Love.
Old 06-18-04, 02:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Alvis
I guess they don't like Balance?
Who does?
Old 06-18-04, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
NO kidding. I can't think of a more p***y way to end a show than When It's Love.
I was thinking the same thing -- what a lame way to end the show.
Old 06-18-04, 02:03 PM

I wish they'd have included Little Guitars, but I cringe when Sammy sings Dave's songs as-is, so not sure that it's a good thing to add more.

Glad to hear they included Human's Being in the set-list -- my favorite Sammy song.
Old 06-18-04, 02:56 PM

Here's a review from the Phila Inquirer of 06/18/2004:

Hagar's Van Halen a sweet substitute

The band is not the same without Roth, but his replacement did a fine job on their greatest hits.

By Patrick Berkery

For The Inquirer

That soothingly familiar mountain of shred and hooks engulfing the sold-out Wachovia Center on Wednesday might have seemed like the real Van Halen, but it was just a sweet-sounding consolation prize.

Sammy Hagar - not David Lee Roth - was belting out "Panama" and his own, milder contributions to the VH canon, such as "Dreams." Certainly not the genuine article, but better than nothing.

The Van Hagar boys have reunited in support of their forthcoming greatest-hits set, and they trotted out those hits for the first show of their two-night Wachovia Center stand. "Jump" (which opened the two-hour set), "Runaround," "Poundcake" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" all sounded - in three words - awesome, totally awesome.

Not so awesome were three brand-new songs (that will also appear on the hits album). New single "It's About Time" was the best, but that isn't saying much.

The songwriting chops need honing, but Van Halen still delivers as players. Eddie Van Halen (shirtless and fit in cargo pants, hair stacked above his head samurai-style) remains a finger-tapping, monster-riffing, dive-bombing guitar god, while brother Alex laid down the grooves like a caveman with perfect meter.

Bassist Michael Anthony is the secret weapon with choirboy harmonies and the ability to fill in the upper-register blanks Hagar couldn't handle.

Hagar, thicker in the middle and raspier of voice, still aims to please, trying on every T-shirt and pair of sunglasses hurled his way, even tackling Roth-era material such as "Unchained," which he previously avoided.

But he's still an outsider. To wit: The opening figure of Sammy's "Why Can't This Be Love" elicited enthusiastic applause. But when Eddie laid into the gargantuan opening of "Unchained," you seriously feared that the roof might cave in from the crowd's euphoric reaction. The people had spoken: They like Sammy, they want Dave.
Old 06-25-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That review:

Dave's been gone for 20 years, get over it. But truly, that's just my opinion.
Old 06-25-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Alvis
That review:

Dave's been gone for 20 years, get over it. But truly, that's just my opinion.
Why? There are a lot of old VH fans that want to see the real band. I surely would and so would many others. Instead of playing 2 nights (1 almost sold out and the next half empty) they would sell out 3. Just my opinion.
Old 06-26-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw them at MCI...great show...Wolfgang joined Eddie on stage during 3:16, very cool.

I love the Sammy stuff, I love the Dave stuff...it was great to hear Humans Being.
Old 06-27-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was at the MCI show and I was bored out of my mind. Yes, it was terrific seeing the band together again. Eddie was outstanding and his guitar solo was just.... wow. My main problem was that the setlist was weak. They didn't play enough rocking tunes. I havent seen so many bored looking people in an arena before in my life. The majority of them were standing still and just staring at the show. Sammy's version of Jump was just plain awful. Also, they played Aint Talkin Bout Love and Panama too late in the show. I dont even think I can consider Sammy Hagar a singer anymore. All he does is scream at the top of his lungs. Anyway, it was a letdown, but ill be looking forward to a new album and hope it doesnt suck.
Old 07-20-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I went to the show last night in Chicago...bud got tickets so I went...I actually was not planning on going to this show at all since I have seen VH many times over the years.

We had great seats...4 rows from the stage. The United Center was packed to the very last row and the crowd was really into it...people were actually standing in the upper levels in the back, which is rare.

The set list was pretty much as listed above excpet they did Somebody Get Me A Doc instead of Runnin w/ The Devil. I agree with Lara, Jump is just not a great opener and it seems they do it to just get it out of the way. Also, all of the keyboards in various songs were taped.

The new songs just don't cut it at all. MA's bass solo is short-thank god. AVH's drum solo was very good and EVH's was 'just okay'..he was sort of sloppy and messed up many times. At the end of the solo his guitar was just screwed up for the rest of the show (or actually his connection) going through 3 or 4 guitars to try and fix the problems...This was actually kind of fun watching him get pissed at his tech., but it would always kick in just in time to hit his solo's.

However, the band was having a blast...more than I remember them having in a long time.. EVH really seems like he is really enjoying himself. All in all I actually had a great time, much more than I thought I would have. Sure, the song selection is not the best but it's not terrible. I still think When It's Love is the wrong way to end the show. It's not awful but it just doesn't work for me.
Old 07-21-04, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

The review of that show are pretty middle due to eddies problems. Seems like they made up for it last night though.

I have 4 star package (first twenty rows) for Vegas on 8/8 and might scalp for 8/7 also

We have a group of 16 going to the LA show on 8/20

I wish 5150 and cabowabo were in there but anything will do
Old 07-21-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
The review of that show are pretty middle due to eddies problems. Seems like they made up for it last night though.

I have 4 star package (first twenty rows) for Vegas on 8/8 and might scalp for 8/7 also

We have a group of 16 going to the LA show on 8/20

I wish 5150 and cabowabo were in there but anything will do
Last night I heard on the radio that they did not open with Jump...smart move I think. The tech. problems did not really bother me too much...it's live, sh*t happens...

Like I said...I never planned to go and went with low expectations. I walked out happy that I went-just a fun summer concert with a lot of energy.

Still wish it was DLR and a better song selection (cut Hagars solo songs and the other solo's-xcpt EVH) but that's a whole other argument

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.