Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What the hell is "ska" music???

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What the hell is "ska" music???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I've heard people call No Doubt ska (esp the older stuff) and then people who would call them posers and insult the original person's mother for even saying such a thing. What say you?
Old 06-02-04, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an offshoot of reggae
Actually reggae is an offshoot of Ska.
Old 06-02-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
I've heard people call No Doubt ska (esp the older stuff) and then people who would call them posers and insult the original person's mother for even saying such a thing. What say you?
I'd say they are definitely not ska, but rather influenced by ska, they pay homage to classic 2nd wave ska bands like Madness. (see their drummer's shirt in more than one video)
Old 06-02-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't have a Ska thread without mentioning King Apparatus.
Old 06-02-04, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by tdirgins
I'd say they are definitely not ska, but rather influenced by ska, they pay homage to classic 2nd wave ska bands like Madness. (see their drummer's shirt in more than one video)
Actually, not that I can confirm this since I never heard there early early stuff (pre-"Im just a Girl"), from what I have been told they were originally a ska band.
Old 06-02-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scofflaws!
Old 06-02-04, 07:27 PM

Aquabats!
Goodwin Club!
Old 06-02-04, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
The 2nd wave (British) ska, was rock and punk influenced, but it was essentially a lot like the early Jamaican ska, except faster and with British accents. See: Specials, Selector, Madness
Aaah ... those were the days!!
(and include The Beat as well please. Mirror In The Bathroom is a classic.)
Old 06-03-04, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somethin's missin'

my jaw has dropped...

socko gets mentioned (old school fan, saw them dozens of times before trout left. haven't seen them since, although they recently had an original line-up reunion at the bluebird in bloomington.

BUT

BUT

The Slackers haven't been mentioned yet! c'mon people! i'm SO disappointed! vic ruggiero is possibly one of the greatest active songwriters!

(FYI: the Slackers are about as laid-back as you can get. i would hesitate to call them reggae because their songs are too fast for reggae. but they are also too laid-back and there's too much emphasis on vocals to warrant a "ska" name. therefore, along with Hepcat, i classify them as rocksteady. -"rocksteady" was a musical genre that came before reggae but after ska when the upbeat music first arose in Jamaica in the 60's - the paragons are a perfect example of original rocksteady.)

-di doctor-
Old 06-03-04, 09:45 AM

Re: somethin's missin'

Originally posted by DrRingDing
BUT

BUT

The Slackers haven't been mentioned yet! c'mon people!
Totally agree The Slackers were always more rock steady than ska IMO. Good band
Old 06-03-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Footnote: In high school, I played trumpet alongside the trumpet player from the Slackers.
Old 06-03-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ska was originally jamaican dub music.

todays ska is ska-core, and is something completely different.
Old 06-03-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woot, I just bought this about a month ago:

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1879398

4 CD set, like "Ska 101: Roots" in a box Can be found for a good price too.

-Gunshy
Old 06-05-04, 09:23 AM

English Beat - Just Can't Stop
Old 06-07-04, 03:29 AM

No additional recommendations other than above, but one thing that hasn't been said is that ska concerts are almost always really fun. I've seen no-name ska cover bands where the dancing and music and everything is really upbeat, everyone's smiling and having a great time. Leave the lighter at home and wear comfy shoes - you'll be on your feet and moving most of the time.
Old 06-07-04, 02:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: somethin's missin'

Originally posted by DrRingDing
my jaw has dropped...

socko gets mentioned (old school fan, saw them dozens of times before trout left. haven't seen them since, although they recently had an original line-up reunion at the bluebird in bloomington.
Shit. Figures that I'd miss finding out about something like that. I live about an hour away from Bloomington. I saw them at the Duck Inn in Evansville 6 years ago.

Originally posted by Caoimhin

I thought I was the only one around who knew these guys, let alone recognizing the difference since he took off. I bought Quatro when it first came out and promptly sold it that evening. Their early stuff always killed me and they used to put on a fantastic show.
I tried to give Quatro a chance, but it's been collecting dust for quite awhile. I am happy that I got the Triple Live set instead of Double Live. The extra disc of old school stuff made the purchase worth it.

Last edited by AndyCapps; 06-07-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 02:40 PM

Re: Re: somethin's missin'

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Figures that I'd miss finding out about something like that. I live about an hour away from Bloomington. I saw them at the Duck Inn in Evansville 6 years ago.

I saw them at Sankofa Theatre (it was a small club in Evansville, on the west side, just a few blocks from my parent's house.) back in 1998, (my senior year of HS) right after Full Trucker Effect came out. That was a great show. (great album too.)

Personally, I didn't care for Quattro either. It just seemed... off. (And not in a good Socko-esqe way of being off.)
Old 06-07-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some real good ska bands (2nd generation):

Specials - (they were "hit or miss". Some of their later stuff isn't too great - esp with Terry Hall on vocals)
The Selecter - (not "Selecor") - Absolutely brilliant
Bodysnatchers - Don't bother looking for CD's, they were on compilations only, but man were they good
Bad Manners - Excellent
Rico - A trombone player who still plays with bands all over England. Played on Ocean Colour Scene's "mod" albums.
The Untouchables - GREAT live band. Great American ska band from 1980 forward. No Doubt played with them at a tiny show in Palm Springs back around 1998 - one of the best shows I've been to.
Madness - I like them, but they have more of a pop influence.
The English Beat - More of a traditional touch.
Fishbone - I'm not a big fan, but it could be said that they started the 3rd generation sound of Ska, even though they've been around since probably 1982 or so (just a guess). They were the first that I heard to kind of integrate that "punk" edge into ska (not counting The Clash, which merged punk and reggae).

You can't go wrong with any of these bands, but I particularly love The Selecter, The Specials, and The Untouchables. Although some of the "UT's" tracks were a bit more "dance-tunes" - NOT disco dance, but more a "R&B", James Brown, early 80s "mod" dance band. Any Untouchables fans out there?