Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phish calling it a day???

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Phish calling it a day???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
10/9/94 Squirming Coil (from my first show...and on A Live One)
11/24/95 Bathtub Gin
12/31/95 (that's it. no song. the show itself is worthy of mention)
12/31/99 (see above.)
11/2/96 Crosseyed & Painless -> Antelope (Holy Christ awesome)
2/16/03 Piper (tied with the Crosseyed Antelope as the single best improvisation I've ever seen live)
9/29/00 Moma Dance
6/25/00 Tweezer
4/16/04 Twist

Plus, countless others...
Old 05-26-04, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12/31/02 Piper
11/16/97 Scent of a Mule*, Poor Heart* (*With Pete Wernick, aka "Dr. Banjo" on banjo.)
07/21/99 E: Brian and Robert, Bold as Love
02/24/03 Set I: Down with Disease, Corinne Corrina, Wolfman's Brother
07/29/03 Harpua > Bittersweet Motel, Harpua, I Fooled Around and Fell in Love* > Hold Your Head Up > Harpua
08/02/03 The Tower Jam

I could go on, but I won't...

Did anyone else catch Trey on Charlie Rose tonight? He explained the whole thing very well in my opinion. I happen to be one of those under 30 that completely understands where he's coming from and can't help but agree with the decision.

If you missed it, he mentioned that Mike was the only one who didn't agree with the decision, and I can see why. Of all four of them, Mike is the only one that was probably still getting better. I really hope to see him catch on with something bigger than just Mike + Leo. His solo album he put out last fall was good, but it's not good enough for what I know he can do.
Old 05-26-04, 11:46 PM
Banned

I lied:

02/28/03 Whole show, special recognition to the best GBOTT ever.
04/17/04 Set I: Sould Shakedown Party, Halley's Comet
12/01/03 Set II: Tweezer, 2001 > You Enjoy Myself
Old 05-26-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow lot of post cypress stuff on there. granted most people saw more later shows than earlier ones, it is surprising. i would be hard pressed to name any songs that stand out to me after winter '99.
Old 05-26-04, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by deadlax
wow lot of post cypress stuff on there. granted most people saw more later shows than earlier ones, it is surprising. i would be hard pressed to name any songs that stand out to me after winter '99.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you didn't see much after '99. Post-hiatus Phish has been a bit more inconsistent, sure, but there have been amazing highlights. Recently, they have been very improvisation-oriented (as opposed to the "Fluffhead"/"Foam" type compositions). It's led to some insanely good moments (particularly, in my mind, Vegas '03's "Piper" and 2/28/03's "Tweezer" [which I didn't see live]).
Old 05-26-04, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Bust
Did anyone else catch Trey on Charlie Rose tonight?
Not yet, but I'll be watching it in an hour...
Old 05-27-04, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by deadlax
Yeah, I think we've already concluded that you've missed out on a TON of fantastic musical moments in the last few years.
Old 05-27-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, me and trey (as much as i dislike him for killing the band in summer 99) seem to agree.
Old 05-27-04, 12:19 AM
Banned

hmm, you must not have seen the interview I saw tonight with Trey. He said something to the extent of while they consistency wasn't there anymore, there were still moments of wonderous magic the last couple of years. And there were. Sounds an aweful lot like my first post on page 1.
Old 05-27-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
One thing that kind of struck me...the announcement is not from the band. It's from Trey. He even makes it clear that not all the band members felt the way he does. It makes it sound as though it was his decision to end the band, not Page's, Mike's or Fish's. Granted, there is no Phish without Trey. It makes it a bit frustrating though that 3 of them might have wanted to continue...
And if Seis de Mayo is the kind of stuff Trey is moving on to, that will be very unfortunate.
Old 05-27-04, 10:50 AM

The Charlie Rose interview was great. Hard not to respect the decision after hearing Trey give such a sincere discussion of everything. For the record, the only dissenter was Mike. He wanted to keep going. For good reason too, post-hiatus, Mike's the only member who keeps getting noticeably better, IMO. Page agreed immediately. Little was mentioned about Fishman.

Just bought my ticket for Coventry. Looking so forward to that final celebration...
Old 05-27-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gdrlv
The Charlie Rose interview was great. Hard not to respect the decision after hearing Trey give such a sincere discussion of everything. For the record, the only dissenter was Mike. He wanted to keep going. For good reason too, post-hiatus, Mike's the only member who keeps getting noticeably better, IMO. Page agreed immediately. Little was mentioned about Fishman.

Just bought my ticket for Coventry. Looking so forward to that final celebration...
Bought mine today as well. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

I take it you missed the second post on this page? You pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly regarding the Rose interview.
Old 05-27-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually (surprisingly?) don't understand where trey is coming from. His TAB is as close to Phish as most band's side projects ever become. Sure it's like Phish with a hint of Santana, but it really isn't that far off. The Rose interview made one thing abundantly clear, he's quitting Phish cause he's not in control of the direction of the band anymore, and he couldn't quite deal with that.
Old 05-27-04, 06:46 PM
Banned

Old 05-27-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just another trey apologist, go back to worshipping the ground the man walks upon.
Old 05-28-04, 04:03 PM

Bust- Forgot about your post when I wrote mine.

Deadlax- I'm really not sure where you're coming from at all with your previous two posts, as I seriously didn't pick that up at all from anything Trey has said. Then again, I don't subscribe to that whole "Trey Is Wilson" bullshit. Apparently, you do.

Anyway, Page has released his letter to the fanbase. Pretty sincere and touching, actually.

Dear friends,

As we wind down the Phish career, it is done with both great joy and great sadness. The joy comes from remembering the incredibly good times we’ve experienced, the successes we’ve enjoyed, and knowing that even in our closing we are honoring the band. The sadness is obviously driven by the fact that something I love will not be a part of my life anymore. To me, we have been the greatest band in the world and have had the greatest fans ever.

I still love the music we make but the situation feels different to me now. I guess in my heart I’ve known for a while that something had to change, but it wasn’t until this last weekend that my feelings really began to coalesce. I’m old enough now that I am able to look to the future without feeling that I need to balance it with my past. I find it ironic that half of my life has to go by before I am able to focus solely on the future. As a member of a successful rock band, it seems that every aspect of my profession encourages me to extend my youth as long as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I like feeling young, but more importantly I need to be honest with myself.

The pressures and schedule of this work can take its toll personally as well as creatively. As someone who has recently been through a divorce, I know how traumatic change can be. But, I also know that if you are able to let go of things and embrace change there is the potential for incredible personal (and creative) growth.

If I sound unusually candid in this statement, I am able to do so because in my mind I’ve already moved on to the next phase of my life. This is a feeling I believe I share with Trey. I have a four-year-old daughter and there is nothing more important to me than being with her. Come August, I’m not going to have to tell her how many days ‘til daddy comes back from tour. Combine that with my perception that the band’s vitality is not what it once was, and it’s easy to see how my mind quickly begins to move in one direction instead of a hundred directions all at the same time.

I will miss it incredibly, but I have no regrets. The pride that I feel for the band, our fans, the organization and all of our collective accomplishments is overwhelming. I love you all and know that we wouldn’t be here without you.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Page McConnell
Old 05-28-04, 11:26 PM
Banned

Just another Page apologist.
Old 05-29-04, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Bust

Just another Page apologist.
If Trey is Wilson, Page is the AC/DC Bag...
Old 05-29-04, 07:55 AM
Banned

was this band ever about the music or was it about going to a concert so you could take drugs, I mean did you listen to 12 minute jams on the way to work in your car.
Old 05-29-04, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by NEW BALTIMORE
I mean did you listen to 12 minute jams on the way to work in your car.
Yes. And I still do on the bus. And not just Phish either. And sometimes they're 25 minute jams.

The only thing this band was EVER about was the music. That is undisputable.
Old 05-30-04, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by NEW BALTIMORE
was this band ever about the music or was it about going to a concert so you could take drugs, I mean did you listen to 12 minute jams on the way to work in your car.
My job takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to. Many days, I search for a jam that is almost exactly that long for the ride. Also, I went to most Phish shows relatively sober. It's far more than a drug thing for just about everyone I know that loves Phish, moe., SCI and just about every other jam band...
Old 05-31-04, 10:36 AM

I listened to Phish completely sober (same with the Dead and Widespread Panic) and I got not quite the same enjoyment out of it, but extreme enjoyment none the less. I always loved the dead from the first time I heard them. I never really got into Phish until my wife(who was my gf) at the time got me into listening to them. Like many others, I truly enjoyed the early stuff and found the newer stuff not quite up to Phish level. I will miss them, but was not completely shocked at the announcement.