Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Trent Reznor to release monophonic, chordless NIN album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From Pitchforkmedia.com

Reznor Prepares "Monophonic" Nine Inch Nails LP

You crazy for this one, Rick!

Jeremy C. Baron reports:
Is your life hard? Do you hate it all? Are you trapped inside of this broken machine? Well, then, welcome back to the deep, dark sucking hole of Trent Reznor, who has revealed that his next Nine Inch Nails effort is now slated for release this fall on nothing/Interscope. The album, produced by legendary beardgroomer Rick Rubin and rendingly titled Bleed Through, will be Reznor's first Nine Inch Nails album in the five years since he released The Fragile, which in turn was the first Nine Inch Nails album in the five years since The Downward Spiral.

Sure, the lyrics will probably be exactly the same as always (a distinctive mix of expletives, synonyms of "pain," and of course, plenty of nods to the netherworld), but Reznor's revealed a serious nerd streak in the creation of the record, which is reported to be entirely monophonic. Do not adjust your monitor: The man is, indeed, too good for chords. Waxing eloquent to black-clad members of the NIN fanclub, he bespake: "One of the rules of this record has been to orchestrate using monophonic voices. No chords. Anywhere." Now that's what I call music!

We could not reach Reznor for comment on Monday afternoon, but if we had, we imagine he might have aloofly quoted his idols in Current 93. To wit: "...As the blue-green world is drenched in horsegore... streams of urine begin to gush from all the black, bending heavens and hells..." No word yet on a tracklist for the album which Reznor has referred to as "minimal" and "brutal," but Pitchfork's resident psychics Ryan Schreiber and Brent DiCrescenzo were able to come up with something they're guessing will at least be in the ballpark:

01 Sex Hole (Bleeding)
02 Peace Corpse
03 Necronomitron [ft. Lords of Acid]
04 The Pissing
05 Goethe Bloat
06 Colossostomy Bag (Fudge Sac)
07 Cancer Scythe
08 Puddle of Bludd
09 **** Cog
10 Supercircumsize Me
11 Amputeen
12 Oil Pig
13 Jesus Cunste (Passion of the Cross'd)
14 Vamp Pyre
15 Sexy Slit F**ker
16 D3lit3
17 I'm Deep Down in a Dark Black Hole with Nothing but My Pain and Hate and Blood to Sup On (Hitler Fist)

A bonus track, "Crack Slut Crunk (Lil' Jon Recruciremixion)", could also provide Reznor with his first Top 40 single since "Closer".

Reznor is presently stocking up on black leather mumus, fishnet stockings, and blackface in preparation for an ambitious world tour in support of Bleed Through. Hell, I know I wanna pay $50 bucks to listen to some guy bitch for two hours. But I guess if it works for Noam Chomsky...
Old 05-11-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha.

ha.
Old 05-11-04, 11:43 AM

[Dr. Evil] riiight. [/Dr. Evil]
Old 05-11-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
I guess someone, somewhere still cares.
Old 05-11-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God I hate Pitchfork. I've never read such cenile, convoluted, one sided reviews in my life. I don't know who reads that garbage to be honest. Not really regarding this article, but everytime I see the name pitchfork I want to vomit.
Old 05-11-04, 04:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by cdollaz
I guess someone, somewhere still cares.
About pitchfork or NIN? Pitchfork can go **** itself. I definitely care about new NIN, especially since a tour will be accompanying it.
Old 05-11-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
God I hate Pitchfork. I've never read such cenile, convoluted, one sided reviews in my life. I don't know who reads that garbage to be honest. Not really regarding this article, but everytime I see the name pitchfork I want to vomit.
this is my second bandwagon post of the day, but i totally agree. although, for daily, non-mainstream music news, this is really the best place to get it. i read their "reviews" when i want a good laugh.
Old 05-12-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.ateaseweb.com/extra/richdork/index.htm

Old 05-12-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

another winner
Old 05-28-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pitchfork sucks, but thanks for the article.
Old 05-28-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure Pretty Hate Machine was monophonic too.
Old 05-28-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PFM really isn't that bad, and they have some incredibly talented writers (Dominque Leone & Scott Plagenhoef, especially). I think if you approach the writing with the mindset that it's very indie-centric, you may not find the writing as reprehensible. And that article was great (and I don't hate NIN, either).

And p-****ing-s, that PFM parody shit wasn't funny when SubPop did it. But hey, it's kind of a tribute, so whatever.
Old 05-29-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that may have been the worst article I've ever read. Can't wait for the album though.