Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Will there ever be a Prince Box Set?

Old 04-20-04, 04:59 PM
Banned

Will there ever be a Prince Box Set?

One of my all-time favorite artists(along with Stevie Wonder), I have purchased his classic 3 disc album "The Hits/The B-Sides" and think its amazing. Any chance that we might see something like a 4 or 5 disc box set for this guy? I would love to hear, I think its called "Sometimes it Snows in April", which is one of my all-time favorite Prince Songs. Now that he has become a Jehovah's Witness does that mean this won't happen, because doens't he own the masters to many of these songs?
I know there is a Live 4-disc box set for Prince out.....but I'm looking for a Box Set with his gems.....UNCENSORED!!!!!!!!
Any chance of this happeneing????
Old 04-20-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
If it doesn't happen, it won't have anything to do with him being a Jehovah's Witness. It would have to do with his apparent lack of anything resembling intelligent business sense.

Right now, he should concern himself with mastering some of his earlier works [Parade, which your favourite song "Sometimes It Snows In April" is, f'rinstance..].

I really don't know what you'd expect/want to be on a "4 or 5 disc box set". And that LIVE set is crap [so's the DVD]. If he wanted to make mad bank AND have his FANS [not FAMS, there's a difference] respect him again, he'd get off some of the older stuff while releasing his latest tour. He's notorious for recording each and every show he does. Yet, it sits in the Vault along with TONS of other recordings and videos that have never seen the light of day...
Old 04-21-04, 03:58 AM

the hits/b-sides is all your going to get for a long long time considering prince doesnt own the masters to his work on warners bros. even those were put out against his own will and he even stopped touring because he didnt want people to think he was promoting it/them. this might be asking a lot, but if you like his usic, i reccomend getting all his albums versus waiting for more hits type packages to come along. dirty mind, purple rain soundtrack, controversy, 1999, and sign o the times are solid albums and you should start off your collection with those. then work your way into parade, gold experience, diamonds and pearls, and the O(+> album.

sorry for the little rant, but prince is just awesome and you embrace all of his music, not just the hits
Old 04-21-04, 09:53 PM
Banned by request

He doesn't need a box set, he needs his albums to be remastered. Come on Warner Bros, you did it for Madonna.
Old 04-21-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prolly not, as evident by retailers still selling his older cds at full price. I did see the live box set, "One night Alone" that i think Rogue was referencing. If anything I'd like to see "Prince and the Revolution...... Live!" on dvd.