Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (4/18-24)

Old 04-18-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today's CDs (4/18-24)

Madvillian, Madvilliany
DM + Jemini, Ghetto Pop Life
Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die
KMD, Mr Hood
Ghostface, The Pretty Toney Album
Kno, White Albulum
Missy Elliott, This is Not a Test!
Murs, Murs 3:16: The Ninth Edition

QoTD: Are there any particular genres that you are currently avoiding or avoided at one time?

AoTD: Lately I have no desire to listen to "indie." I did put in The Microphones yesterday and I like the new Of Montreal album a lot, but overall I've listened to soul, pop, hip-hop (especially) and folk (some of which is arguably indie) more.

I don't think that it's permanent. I'm just unimpressed by most of the blogger's hot acts because I know enough history to like their influences more. I know a little bit about hip-hop but overall it's an unexplored genre to me so I still get excited. It might also have to do with my money shortage: my girlfriend brought the new Modest Mouse cd in my car the other week and I thought it was nice enough even though I don't plan on buying it any time soon, if ever. Now I just want to plug my cash into something fresh (at least to my ears).
Old 04-18-04, 10:34 PM

Q of the D:
I haven't bought a hip-hop album in about 12 years. I respect the genre and know that there are plenty of talented hip-hop acts out there, but the delivery no longer appeals to me (and obviously hasn't appealed to me for quite some time). I would love to get some good electronic recommendations from one of my favorite boarders, Pikul, but he isn't around much these days.

Recent Spins:
Rye Coalition - "Jersey Girls"
Wire - "154"
Neil Young - "Freedom"
Blonde Redhead - "Fake Can Be Just as Good"
Sonic Youth - "Nurse"
Old 04-18-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

D12 - D12 World

Niiiiice follow-up to Devil's Night
Old 04-18-04, 11:17 PM

Need New Body: UFO

Circulatory System: self titled

Supersilent: 5

Björkenheim / Håker Flaten / Nilssen-Love: Scorch Trio

Tore Elgarøy: The Sound Of The Sun

I've been a bit slightly bored with "indie" stuff lately too. Not that I don't enjoy it, just that it's hard to get really excited about some of the current bands. I like Interpol, Franz Ferdinand and The Rapture as much as the next guy, but there's really not much there I don't already own from 25+ years ago. It's not that I'm not listening to it, but my buying/listening habits have shifted a bit.

I've been buying and listening to a lot of stuff on Rune Grammofon lately. They're a very impressive label that puts out (mostly) Norwegian expirimental and/or improvised music. I've never really heard too much that sounds like the discs they release. Whereas listening to modern Indie rock makes me think that maybe I should've been born 20 years earlier, it's labels like this that make me realize there's still plenty of life left in music that hasn't been done to death.
Old 04-19-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Today's CDs (4/18-24)

Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album
Illmatic - 10 Year Anniversary (Platinum Series)
Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun
D12 - D12 World
Medina Green - U-Know The Flex Mix Tape Vol. 1

QoTD: Are there any particular genres that you are currently avoiding or avoided at one time?

AoTD: At times I tried to avoid hiphop... but I can't. I love it too much.
Old 04-19-04, 12:29 PM

They Might Be Giants - Indestructible Object EP
Neko Case - Blacklisted
Joshua Bell - Romance of the Violin
Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses
Hem - Rabbit Songs

AOTD: Still avoiding hiphop (or, rather, rap) and metal. I'm sure I'd appreciate some songs in each genre, especially hiphop (and I liked Run-DMC's albums back in the day), but now the genre is so huge, and my free time comparatively small, that it's not worth the effort to me to do the digging to find the 5% or 10% I'd probably really like.
Old 04-19-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Modest Mouse - Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again
Al and the Transamericans - Analog
Lemon Jelly - lemonjelly.ky
Phish - Live Phish 4/15/04
Phish - Live Phish 4/16/04

SAShepard: Check out the Al and the Transamericans CD. It's Al Schnier from moe.'s rootsy, Americana side project. Great album.

AOTD: Been avoiding electronic music like the plague. I used to love it but it hasn't done anything for me lately. I don't even dig the Lemon Jelly album listed like I used to...
Old 04-19-04, 01:33 PM

got a new SACD player: woohoo!

The Who - Tommy
Moloko - Statues
Art of Noise - Daft
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Feeder - Comfort in Sound
Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon
Groove Armada - Vertigo