Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is Maroon 5 a boy band?

Old 04-09-04, 06:25 PM

Is Maroon 5 a boy band?

Somesongs have a boy band feel, Some don't.
Old 04-09-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no, they are a real band. they play their own instruments, and don't have those retarded dances.
Old 04-09-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they are. Especially since the first track, "Harder to Breathe," sounded like a Justin Timberlake b-side. Also, the customers I typically sell this too are normally female and young.
Old 04-09-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Rypro's comment... they play their own instruments and the lead singer is the only one with freaky dances.

They are a band... I won't go so far as to say a 'real' band.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-09-04 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i dont think also this is a band where it was truely the record company that created them.
Old 04-09-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they used to be a band called Kara's Flowers, who were a power pop group in the early-mid 90s. They put out one record, then changed their name to Maroon 5; they sound quite different now.
Old 04-10-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Call them what you will, their latest CD is good from start to finish, and most of the songs are BETTER than the single you hear on the radio.

In response to the question "Is Maroon 5 a boy band?"

If the music is good, who the hell cares what their image conveys.

Sometimes you gotta separate the cheese from the melodies.

Last edited by woofman; 04-10-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-10-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope.
Old 04-10-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering too because I really like that "This Love" song, but I only hear it on the local teen or MOR stations. When I tried to think about how to describe them, I kept thinking they were like a boy band, with Jamoraqui and/or funk roots. I then read an article in which the lead singer admits to loving Stevie Wonder, which Jameraqui rips off mercilessly.

woofman, you say the rest of the CD is better than the radio single, but what style do they lean towards?

tks
Old 04-10-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
I was wondering too because I really like that "This Love" song, but I only hear it on the local teen or MOR stations. When I tried to think about how to describe them, I kept thinking they were like a boy band, with Jamoraqui and/or funk roots. I then read an article in which the lead singer admits to loving Stevie Wonder, which Jameraqui rips off mercilessly.

woofman, you say the rest of the CD is better than the radio single, but what style do they lean towards?

tks
I've been wondering who's sound they reminded me of, and the Jamoraqui reference is it!
Old 04-10-04, 11:21 PM

hehe, I went to college and dormed with Adam and Jessie at Five Towns. At the time Kara's flowers was just kinda dormant and they were talking about how Reprise ****ed em over and how they want to start making music like Radiohead and such. Guess that didn't happen. Kara's flowers got signed after a gym gig to Reprise cause a scout was there, and they had that radio friendly Soap Disco song. So they were lucky in that aspect. They were cool guys, threw some nice parties in the dorm. I knew Adam better than Jessie, cause I took classes with him. I can't say I like Maroon 5 too much, but hey, they are huge, more power to them. I mean it's not horrible music, it's good for what it is. I rather of seen them go in a different direction, but this is more marketable.

Last edited by TripWire; 04-10-04 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom

tks
I can definitely see the Jamoraqui & Stevie Wonder influences. I would say the rest of the album is not as "single" oriented, though still very catchy. Songs like "Sunday Morning" put a grin on your face and make you want to crank your stereo, tune out, and just embrace the groove. Hard to really describe without just hearing it. Not a lot of stuff out there sounds like this right now, which is is a good thing.
Old 04-11-04, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Also, the customers I typically sell this too are normally female and young.

That might have something to do with the video for "This Love" getting play on MTV. Who says young females can't develop somewhat good taste if they are exposed to good music?
Old 04-11-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty damn close.
Old 04-11-04, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Oliver Clothesoff
they used to be a band called Kara's Flowers, who were a power pop group in the early-mid 90s. They put out one record, then changed their name to Maroon 5; they sound quite different now.
Actually it was two albums. I saw them once locally at the Glass House and I picked up their budget release "Stagg St. Recordings". I thought it was pretty good compared to their commercial release.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the music from that album was actually used in an early episode of Judging Amy. I'll have to look it up.
Old 04-11-04, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Especially since the first track, "Harder to Breathe," sounded like a Justin Timberlake b-side.
Except Timberlake doesn't typically drop the f-bomb in his songs.

I don't think they're a boy band but I think I would definitely get that impression if all I heard was the two songs that have gotten radio airplay. The cd is a VERY good listen.
Old 04-11-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by antennaball
Except Timberlake doesn't typically drop the f-bomb in his songs.

I don't think they're a boy band but I think I would definitely get that impression if all I heard was the two songs that have gotten radio airplay. The cd is a VERY good listen.
True, but the radio version does leave that out, which is the version I have to suffer though about 10 times a day at work, or at least used to have to suffer through, since we no longer use the Top 40 station as our audio loop.
Old 04-12-04, 04:51 AM

Funny you ask. After hearing them on some talk show, I checked their full album out on rhapsody. Then, about three songs in, I realized I was listening to a boy band. The best boy band I had ever heard, but still.... Anyway, since boy bands are going to always exist, the record companys should pick up more like these guys. At least they play instruments, and could fool me for three songs Seriously though, I think they're ok, just couldn't take more than a few listens of their single.
Old 04-12-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also thought the song was a Timberlake song until I saw the band on SNL a few weeks back.
Old 04-12-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
no, they are a real band. they play their own instruments, and don't have those retarded dances.
you just described HANSON
Old 04-12-04, 10:10 AM

Early Beatles could be considered boy band material. Looked how they evolved.
Old 04-12-04, 02:12 PM
Retired

They're a band. But they definitely skew to the boy band target audience.

First time I saw their video I thought "what is this, The Backstreet Boys" with instruments.
Old 04-12-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the "This Love" single, and after hearing the comments from the people who have listened to the whole album, I'm considering picking up the CD.
Old 04-12-04, 05:32 PM

You should pick it up. It's one of the most listenable albums I've ever heard.
Old 04-12-04, 08:51 PM
Banned

If white girls obsessed with them they're a boy band.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.