Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Van Halen - Summer Tour !?!?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Van Halen - Summer Tour !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed? Seems a stretch to say that the Hagar years failed. Maybe its just not your thing.

My problem is almost all of us could or would be disappointed by a Dave tour because it can live up to the larger then life status we have in our hearts. I came away from the Sam/Dave tour knowing this. However with Sammy it is just like it was no ore no less.

I will also point out that Dave was getting pretty bad live with VH in the last two years. It got to the point where he "forgot the f-ing words" at the same place three nights a row. He became very predictable and favored jumping around over actually singing the songs.

Don’t get me wrong I would be just as stoked for either – just to have Eddie back! As I have said I have seen the band over 20 times and I feel good in saying for Eddie this is a better choice.
Old 03-15-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first four VH albums were the best. Diver Down just plain sucked and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. Whatever the last one with DLR was called, it had some good tunes despite the crappy synth.

While I never liked the Hagar version of the band, I can understand why some people liked it. My major beef with Van Halen is the way the band ****ed over Sammy when they put out that Best Of Album. They brought back Dave without letting Sammy know. Fortunately for Sammy's self-esteem, the two Dave tracks on the "Best Of" album were horrible.

I don't think they should try to resurrect the band, let it die with dignity.
Old 03-15-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
OU812 also had When It's Love, which has a lot of synth.
I love me some Best of Both Worlds. D/F#, G, D/F#, G, D/F#, G, A all day long!
Old 03-16-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bfrank
Failed? Seems a stretch to say that the Hagar years failed. Maybe its just not your thing.
Exactly. They failed at ROCKING. Sales don't mean crap to me.
Old 03-16-04, 01:43 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by Wannabe
Diver Down just plain sucked and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

Hey, I'll pick a fight with you on this. IMO, Diver Down was a fantastic album! I always equated it to Zeppelin III. Different, experimental, but good. Hang 'em High, Little Guitars, Big Bad Bill, Full Bug...what's not to like?
Originally posted by Wannabe
Fortunately for Sammy's self-esteem, the two Dave tracks on the "Best Of" album were horrible.
One was horrible. Me Wise Magic kicked ass - and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Now, back to the matter at hand...

I for one am stoked about a summer VH tour!!! Now, by VH, I do mean Van Haggar. I come from the school of thought that Van Halen was Roth. The VH music was drastically different post-Roth. Sans 1984, which was the start of the decline in the relationship between the Van Halen's and DLR (both parties wanted to take the music in opposite directions).

I've seen DLR's solo act 3 times now and have yet to be disappointed. He is the quintessential stage performer, hands-down. He knows what the audience wants and he always delivers. He can be criticized for his bubble gum, gong show-type antics, but again, he knows what the audience expects and that is the way he has always been. I think the fact that he still tries to live in the 80s is a great thing because for most VH fans, that is the VH they remember most.

Last edited by Geofferson; 03-16-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I've seen DLR's solo act 3 times now and have yet to be disappointed. He is the quintessential stage performer, hands-down. He knows what the audience wants and he always delivers. He can be criticized for his bubble gum, gong show-type antics, but again, he knows what the audience expects and that is the way he has always been. I think the fact that he still tries to live in the 80s is a great thing because for most VH fans, that is the VH they remember most. [/B]
Well said.