Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Church live

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Church live

This is killing me! The Church are in town tonight... they are one of my all time favorite bands. But, I couldn't get the night off work in time to see them. Urgh. Anyone catch them on their current tour? The reviews I've read say that they are quite energetic in concert.
Old 03-03-04, 11:25 AM

haven't seen them recently; the last time being in 2000 (i think) in detroit. the only one who had any real 'energy' was Marty Wilson-Piper. he also seemed like a really cool and approachable fellow. Steven Kilbey on the other hand, is the complete opposite. I ran into him going to the restroom (at the club where they were playing) and he just kind of glared at me.
Old 03-03-04, 11:38 AM

Whoa, I had no idea there were other Church fans on this board. They're coming to Chicago on March 12 and I'm seeing them then. I've seen them on their last few tours and I don't know if I would call them "energetic." They certainly play with intensity, but Marty's the only one putting on a "rock show." claweight is exactly right about their approachable-ness. Marty is very friendly, Tim is too. Peter and Steve are pretty quiet, but they were nice enough to sign some albums and cds of mine.
Old 03-03-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The last time I saw them play was on the Gold Afternoon Fix tour. I agree that Marty is the one that has the most energy on stage.
Old 03-03-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's what our local weekly says about their current tour:

"Little has changed for Australia's longest-running mope-rock band over the past 24 years. Their new (17th!) album swims in a moody sea of dreamy, shoe-gazing vocals, shimmering twin guitars and a lush yet brooding vibe. But the band's live show is a revelation. Energetic and edgy, the music explodes in a shower of thunderous guitars and eye-popping musicianship. N.Y.C.'s Sea Ray -- often compared to The Church -- opens."

I can see how they would be loud, but the "eye-popping musicianship" part kills me. I have no clue how I've mangaged to go all these years not seeing them but I hate thinking I'll have to wait a few more years. Even if their most recent output doesn't live up to their 80's work, they are still a very cool band.
Old 03-03-04, 03:41 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I had no idea they were still around... I loved their first couple of albums (Of Skins and Heart and The Blurred Crusade).
Old 03-04-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, so all is right in the world. To the luck of Zeus I got off work an hour early last night and drove by the theater on the way home. Paid the security guard at the front door $5.00 to let me in to see the end of the show. Got 1.5 songs from the main set and then a good 30-minute encore. I was thrilled with that. I mean, I have every one of their albums (sans the new one) and they meant just as much to me as a band like REM, but didn't get nearly the notice.

So, I really was surprised with Marty's stage prescence. He was like Rock Star Jones all over his side of the stage, jamming bigtime. And loud as hell. My ears are still hurting after only 30 minutes in that place. The mix was so loud that it was actually kind of hard to make out what the hell they were playing. They ended with "Tantalized" and that was worth the $5.00 right there. For every move Marty made, Peter was the opposite. I can also see how you guys said Marty was a nice guy... it was obvious how he was all smiles and communicating with the crowd.
I was glad to see that because I read a little blurb about ten years ago how he was an ass to someone at a bar here after a show. I'm not sure I believe that now.

The show was a revelation to me because all their albums are sonically crafted and well-thought out. Last night was messy, sloppy, loud and very cool.