Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

whats the worst live concert you have been too?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

whats the worst live concert you have been too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
311. I've never been a big fan. They came through town and my friend gave me a free ticket to go with him. I was bored to tears for 2 hours.
Old 07-02-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Jethro Tull, sometime in the 80's at the Medowlands in NJ. The sound system was so low you could not even hear them.
Old 07-02-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I just saw Blondie live last week. The mixing was terrible, you could barely hear Deborah Harry's voice over the band (even though Clem Burke is still one hell of a drummer). Not just that, she was noticably drunk and pretty much slurred and slept her way through "Just Go Away" (a friend who saw her two weeks earlier said she performed the whole song just fine) and plus the band skipped town without doing a number of their standards like Atomic, Dreaming, (I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear and others and the show was one of the earliest times I've ever let out of a concert.

I love the classics still, but I think they were without a doubt the poorest headliner I've ever seen in concert
Was that in Chicago?
Old 07-02-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Smashing Pumpkins...opening for KISS at Dodger Stadium. They came out dressed like the Beatles and that was cool. After that the show was boring and that bold singer was an ass.
I was there.

And this is my pick for worst live concert I've ever been to. Not the KISS set - that was a great concert, but the Smashing Pumpkins were absolutely horrible. The first two songs were great, but then they went on these long droning songs and the lead guitar player was using effects that made his guitar sound like squealing synth noises during his painfully long solos.

It was the worst 50 minutes of my life. Well, almost.

Originally Posted by macnorton
Let's see....

Iron Maiden - Played the entire new album and did 3 classics...not cool guys
Actually it was FIVE classics. And I love the A Matter of Life and Death album, so it was really cool to have them play it in its entirety, IMO. I thought it was a great show (caught it at Irvine Meadows).

Last edited by B5Erik; 07-02-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Was that in Chicago?
nope, Louisville KY. Was it the same way in Chicago?
Old 07-03-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"too"?
Old 07-03-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Let's see here...

U2 (The Joshua Tree Tour, 1987, The Omni, Atlanta, GA) - This concert was a giant disappointment on so many levels. I was a fan of "old U2" - Boy, October, War, etc. and I wasn't liking the band's direction at the time. But I had seen Under A Blood Red Sky like... a million times and I knew the live show would be great. But the band came out... and it sounded as though they were playing Under A Blood Red Sky at 33rpm when the record said 45rpm. They had zero energy - Bono was OK, but I could swear the rest of the band were in a seconal stupor, checking their watches every couple of minutes. When they launched into a half-hearted rendition of "I Will Follow" I got up and left. I asked around at school the next day, as tons of people from my high school went. Everyone that liked U2 for less than 2 years thought it was "awesome!", while everyone that had liked them longer than that thought it was "adequate" or "OK". Even BJ - our school's resident "U2 Nut" (who owned every U2 bootleg, promo, 12" and 7", interview picture disc, etc.) thought the show was "just OK".

Natalie Merchant (The Tigerlily Tour, 1995, Chastain Park Amphitheater, Atlanta, GA) - This show was at an outdoor venue in northwest Atlanta. It was in late September as I recall, and it was during the first "cold spell" of the season. Natalie came out and rocked a few songs (well, as "rocky" as Natalie Merchant gets). She then kicked off a string of 20 slow-ass songs in a row; I swear the fastest one was 30bpm! But just as the "slow set" started, it began to rain and the wind kicked up. So it's like... 45 degrees, raining, and a stiff wind is blowing through, making it even colder. And Natalie is up there on stage, surrounded by candles, doing all her slow songs. After three or four slow songs I looked at the crowd, and almost everyone was sitting down, huddled under blankets or tablecloths (this venue has tables, and most people bring picnic baskets). I guess I can't blame Natalie for the weather, but she could have at least seen that the crowd was cold and miserable and kicked it up a notch!

Phil Collins (No Jacket Required Tour, 1985?, The Omni, Atlanta, GA) - My best friend and I decided to go to this show for some reason... and God, was it boring. Even Barry Manilow or Neal Diamond could have rocked the house harder than Phil did! My best friend got high with an undertaker that was sitting next to him, while I went to the payphones and called my girlfriend.

David Bowie (The Glass Spider Tour, 1987, The Omni, Atlanta, GA) - Looking back on this show, it wasn't that bad. After all, a cute girl from Aniston, Alabama started talking to me, got me high and made out with me during the show. But the set list just sucked - I think he did "Rebel Rebel" and maybe "Fashion", but other than that, almost all the music seemed to be from Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down. Blech! It was like going to see Paul McCartney and him only doing stuff from his last couple of albums - no Beatles songs, no Wings songs... nothing. And to think I only really went because there were rumors at the time that this would be his last concert tour! (Remember: Tonight and Never Let Me Down sold, like, a grand total of 38 copies combined in the US, and most of those were bought buy misguided grandmas trying to buy their grandsons "hip" birthday presents.

Forgot one:

Nine Inch Nails (1990?, The Masquerade, Atlanta, GA) - The Masquerade is (was?) a nightclub in Atlanta. I have no proof of this, but I'm pretty certain that they oversold concerts as a matter of policy. I know they oversold this one. My GF at the time and I arrived a few minutes before the doors opened, so that we could get a spot near the front. For the next two hours, more and more people streamed in. A few minutes before NIN went on, I remember looking back and seeing people everywhere. It looked like 10,000 people - I couldn't see an inch of free space anywhere in the club. And then NIN came out, and everyone rushed towards the stage. I tried bracing my arms to keep my GF from getting squished, but I wasn't strong enough. The crowd just kept pushing and pushing, and everyone in the first couple of rows was pressed against the stage. My GF screamed that she couldn't breathe, so I grabbed her and pulled her away from the stage. We somehow made it out of the room, and I looked over at her. Her lip was busted open, the makeup was smeared everywhere, her fishnets were ripped, and her glasses were all woppy-jawed from where someone had accidentally elbowed her in the face. I was drenched in sweat, my shirt was torn, and the next day I had bruises all over from getting crushed. Since it was summer in Atlanta it was 85F at that time of night outside; inside the venue it felt like 125F. With that and the giant crowd, my GF and I just decided to leave.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 07-03-08 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Added NIN to the list
Old 07-03-08, 06:42 AM

3 Doors Down with Nickelback opening, I'm being totally honest, my dad wanted to see 3DD and offered me a free ticket. To this day he apologizes and our inside joke to refer to the concert "we had good seats"
Old 07-03-08, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hole: Masquerade, Atlanta, GA, early 1990s. The tix were $5.00 and I still felt like I wasted my money.
Old 07-03-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I am (sadly) going to have to go with Extol in Council Bluffs, IA. It was the final show of their tour and the opener was some hardcore band and half the audience was their for the hardcore band. Extol got off the stage after less than an hour often telling the chrowd "I think we rock harder than you, yeah." They are from Norway.
Old 07-03-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Worst opening act ever? Dälek. They opened up for a Prince Paul / MC Paul Barman show at the Trocadero in Philly and they were awful. They were sort of a hip-hop / metal / shoegaze band and on paper it sounded interesting but live it was horrid, mostly because they were so loud and ear-piercing, not in a good way. My friend and I just went to the furthest spot in the venue and held our ears for the last ten minutes.

Worst show of an artist I wanted to see? Al Dimeola. I fell asleep about twenty minutes in. This was during my pseudo-jazz / John Scofield / etc. phase in college. I moved past that one real quick after going to this show.
Old 07-03-08, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I may have already posted my answer, but I'm too lazy to go past page 5 here, but I'd have to say: Reef and Razorlight.
Old 07-03-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalGator311
3 Doors Down with Nickelback opening, I'm being totally honest, my dad wanted to see 3DD and offered me a free ticket. To this day he apologizes and our inside joke to refer to the concert "we had good seats"
3DD is also my worst. Saw them at a free show when i was in College. Nappy Roots opened for them and the minute they got off stage id say half the crowd left. I decided to stay and no shit fell asleep halfway through the set. Only fun part of the show was the guy two rows up from me screaming at the top of his lungs between songs "Play the fucking superman song." Once they played Kryptonite id say all but a handful of people stayed. Buddies of mine worked that show and said they were dicks. Nappy Roots on the other hand invited em on the bus and they all got drunk together.
Old 07-03-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
RUN D.M.C - Just went through the motions. They must have really needed money though. Why else book a gig at a college in SW Missouri that is a dry campus and has a population that is 98% white and considered to be the belt-buckle of the bible belt? I can't imagine what it was like for them to look out and see a few thousand people when they had likely played crowds of 10-20k when in their prime.

Sting, St. Louis, MO - Annie Lennox opened and she was 10x better. Sting, like others have said, was professional and methodical but also throughly forgettable. He wasn't helped by the fact it was late July but in the 50's and raining.
Old 07-03-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus

Worst show of an artist I wanted to see? Al Dimeola. I fell asleep about twenty minutes in. This was during my pseudo-jazz / John Scofield / etc. phase in college. I moved past that one real quick after going to this show.

Al is a brilliant guitarist but I can see where one might be a bit bored seeing him in a live show. It must be challenging to put together exciting shows when you're an artist that performs mostly instrumental stuff.

I would imagine that without taking "X", most Electronica Shows probably get boring fast.
Old 07-03-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Billy Squier - Opened up for Bad Company and STYX in 2001 ($10 tickets). Squier came out, the sound sucked and he slowed down all his hits to the point of boring. Half the crowd didn't even recognize The Stroke till he got to chorus due to his new version being horrible.

String Cheese Incident - The first time I saw these guys I thought the show was good, the next 3 times were some of the worst shows I've ever seen. Stupid meandering hippie bullshit.

YMSB - Bluegrass...yawn

And every hip hop show besides the Roots and Jurassic 5. this includes Xibit, Eminem, Nappy Roots and Ludacris.
Old 07-03-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

funny that so many people mentioned Smashing Pumpkins opening for Kiss. One of my best friends saw SP as a headliner last year and he said the same thing that he would never see them live again because they were so bad.

I also heard the same thing about Prince opening for the Stones in 1981, but I honestly think it wasn't that Prince was bad, just that that was a mismatched pairing if one ever exists. A lot of people going to the Stones are the "titties and beer" loving crowd and Prince was everything that goes against what they like. I have seen Prince and the Stones both live as headliners and I think that must've been an amazing pairing especially since Prince was really coming into his own around 1981 with Dirty Mind and Controversy, but I can see why the "play some Skynyrd!!!!" crowd would be turned off by a black man in panties and makeup.
Old 07-03-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nothingfails
funny that so many people mentioned Smashing Pumpkins opening for Kiss. One of my best friends saw SP as a headliner last year and he said the same thing that he would never see them live again because they were so bad.
Yeah I thought for sure I'd be alone in this opinon of their Live Suckage.

I also heard the same thing about Prince opening for the Stones in 1981, but I honestly think it wasn't that Prince was bad, just that that was a mismatched pairing if one ever exists. A lot of people going to the Stones are the "titties and beer" loving crowd and Prince was everything that goes against what they like. I have seen Prince and the Stones both live as headliners and I think that must've been an amazing pairing especially since Prince was really coming into his own around 1981 with Dirty Mind and Controversy, but I can see why the "play some Skynyrd!!!!" crowd would be turned off by a black man in panties and makeup.

Agree 100%. It wasn't Prince. Especially not early 80's late 70's Prince when he was really awesome and hadn't grown so full of himself. Having seen both live I can say that both are great shows to see. When I read that post about Prince sucking at that legendary concert I was like, "No, Prince didn't suck...he was just at the wrong show AND the Stones fans were BITCHES for throwing shit and being nasty". I was too young to go to that tour but I lived about 5 or 10 minutes from the LA Coliseum and we could see the fireworks from that show from my apartment.
Old 07-03-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Speaking of Prince opening for the Stones and other artists with "Prince" in their name having a bad time as an opening act...

When I saw Bjork on her "Vespertine" tour ,Bonnie Prince Billy was one of the opening acts and the crowd HATED HIM. It was just him and an auto harp and 10 minutes in people were booing and yelling all kinds of shit. Every time he started a new song the crowd would groan loudly and without hesitation. It didn't help that his set seemed long. That fact is, people were ready for Bjork. Mind you, I'm not saying he was bad, but the crowd was NOT in the mood for his brand of music. Which is mostly slow acoustic stuff sung solo.

Almost all of the songs he chose for his set sounded like this which to me was kinda dark and melancholic. Again, his stuff isn't bad, just not what the crowd wanted. And after a while I was just cringing due to the crowd's reactions.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9d5j-QJIGU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9d5j-QJIGU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'll give the crowd credit for not throwing shit like the Stupid ass Stones fans and I'll give him credit for not walking off when he was clearly HATED by the crowd.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-04-08 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-03-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Sugar Ray. They were playing at a 3-day festival I went to and were the only band playing their slot, so I went to it. The music was horrible and they came across as total frat-boy douchebags, which wasn't too surprising. At one point, a group of people near the front of the stage started to leave and the lead singer stopped singing, called them out on it and made some lame-ass comment about how he could fuck any of the guys' girlfriends if he wanted to, because he was Mark whatever-the-hell-his-last-name-is. It was almost pathetic enough to be entertaining.
Old 07-03-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I thought for sure I'd be alone in this opinon of their Live Suckage.
Not at all, right there with you. And it was just not once but every show. Even the few times Corgan played with Cheap Trick for a song or two. Ruined that as well.
Old 07-03-08, 02:59 PM

I must add the Smashing Pumpkins to this list. I grew up in the 90's listening to them, and I still think they are one of the best bands(on cd), but dam do they suck live. I finally got to see then during their 2007 tour in Houston. My friends and I all couldn't wait to finally see them and when they come out they spent half of their time playing really shitty songs from their new album, improvising random guitar solos that sucked for 20 minutes, and worst for their last song they covered I love rock and Roll ... I don't know who sings that but me and my friends were pissed, Corgan tried to get the crowd to sing it with him but we were all pissed ..so he left off the stage without doing a real encore. He spent most of the time during the concert between songs blaming "us" for his bad sales figures on his newer albums. No i'm pretty sure they didn't sell becuase they were horrible albums.

And on the other side the best band i've seen so far has to be System of a Down. They did everything right, they sounded as good or better then their cd's.They spent alot of time talking up the crowed with their random thoughts. And they threw out a a few random covers. In two hours they managed to play almost 25 songs with as much engery from the start to the last second. I hope to catch them again one day.
Old 07-03-08, 03:30 PM

I'm going to go with the Phunk Junkiez, opening up for Faith No More in 1995 at the LA Palladium. That was some of the most painful stuff I have ever sat through. To add insult to injury, my buddy and I were late, so we missed Steel Pole Bath Tub, who went on first. By far the worst show I have ever been to. We left about three songs in to Faith No More's set (and we're both big Mike Patton fans).
Old 07-03-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Sorry but...I call BULLSHIT on this...

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Let's see here...

U2 (The Joshua Tree Tour, 1987, The Omni, Atlanta, GA) - This concert was a giant disappointment on so many levels. I was a fan of "old U2" - Boy, October, War, etc. and I wasn't liking the band's direction at the time. But I had seen Under A Blood Red Sky like... a million times and I knew the live show would be great. But the band came out... and it sounded as though they were playing Under A Blood Red Sky at 33rpm when the record said 45rpm. They had zero energy - Bono was OK, but I could swear the rest of the band were in a seconal stupor, checking their watches every couple of minutes. When they launched into a half-hearted rendition of "I Will Follow" I got up and left. I asked around at school the next day, as tons of people from my high school went. Everyone that liked U2 for less than 2 years thought it was "awesome!", while everyone that had liked them longer than that thought it was "adequate" or "OK". Even BJ - our school's resident "U2 Nut" (who owned every U2 bootleg, promo, 12" and 7", interview picture disc, etc.) thought the show was "just OK".

Originally Posted by U2Tours.com
December 08, 1987 / Atlanta, GA
Venue: The Omni
Opening Act(s): The BoDeans

Main Set: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, People Get Ready, Bad, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, Pride

Encore(s): With or Without You, New Year's Day, 40, Help, 40

December 09, 1987 / Atlanta, GA
Venue: The Omni
Opening Act(s): The BoDeans

Main Set: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found, MLK, One Tree Hill, Gloria, Exit, In God's Country, Helter Skelter, Help, Bad, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride

Encore(s): With or Without You, People Get Ready, 40
You stayed for 1 1/2 songs by your recollection, and you are judging a show by that? Now I'm huge U2 fan, and saw them 5 times on that tour, and would normally argue with you, but I think you're just saying some of this shit to be "cool" and diss on several bands that are KNOWN for their live shows..
Old 07-03-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Sorry but...I call BULLSHIT on this...

You stayed for 1 1/2 songs by your recollection, and you are judging a show by that? Now I'm huge U2 fan, and saw them 5 times on that tour, and would normally argue with you, but I think you're just saying some of this shit to be "cool" and diss on several bands that are KNOWN for their live shows..
I was thinking this too. I have seen footage from the U2, Bowie and Phil Collins tours in question and all were decent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.