Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sixpence None the Richer breaking up...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sixpence None the Richer breaking up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sixpence None the Richer breaking up... (July 2008 - Back together!)

At least according to this report:

http://www.cmcentral.com/news/1905.html

Sixpence None the Richer Breaking Up?

The March issue of CCM Magazine is reporting that the multiple Dove Award winning, Grammy nominated group, Sixpence None the Richer, is calling it quits. In a published letter from founding member Matt Slocum, the group says that after ten years they are closing their doors. They talk about their experiences, discuss future plans (including what will probably be their final album from Word Records) and, thank everyone for their support over the years.

More on this story as it develops. For the full scoop pick up the March 2004 issue of CCM Magazine.
For someone that's followed the band for the last 9 years (before Kiss Me made them famous), this kinda sucks. At least we get one more album - hopefully something more along the lines of the REX days.

EDIT: Nevermind. Here's more info:

http://www.tollbooth.org/news/feb16.html
Sixpence Calls it Quits
Sixpence None the Richer announced in the lastest CCM magazine that they are calling it quits. Leigh will stay home to enjoy motherhood and Matt wants to travel the world. There will be a final release of material from different compilations and b-sides from Divine Discontent.

Last edited by DGibFen; 07-09-08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a little surprising... I'm sure Leigh will end up recording at least solo in the future. She could get her hubby to help. At least they left us with 3 very good recordings (wasn't crazy about their debut "Fatherless....")
Old 02-18-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I can't say that I was a fan of Sixpence, I can feel your pain. I know how it feels to almost religiously follow a band that goes from fame to relative obscurity, I'm a Smashing Pumpkins fan.
Old 02-18-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They were a great band. Matt is one of the best songwriters working in the industry (christian or otherwise).
Old 02-18-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bummer, I really enjoyed their music. Glad I got to see them live when I did.
Old 02-18-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Butt
While I can't say that I was a fan of Sixpence, I can feel your pain. I know how it feels to almost religiously follow a band that goes from fame to relative obscurity, I'm a Smashing Pumpkins fan.
It was more like obscurity to fame to relative obscurity. They had two albums and an EP released on a small label. It wasn't till nearly three months after thier self-titled (3rd) album was released that they became more well known in the general public.

But yeah, I get ya. Smashing Pumpkins was a band I listened to for years too.
Old 03-01-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This sucks. I absolutely love their self-titled album. Divine Discontent is still on my very large listening pile.

I'm not really in tune with the CCM community. What's its reaction to Sixpence's version of "There She Goes" being used in a birth control pill commercial?
Old 03-02-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DGibFen
It wasn't till nearly three months after thier self-titled (3rd) album was released that they became more well known in the general public.
Wasn't it more like a 6-8 months after that album was released?
Old 07-09-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And in a surprise, the core members of Sixpence None the Richer, Matt and Leigh, are back together writing music. They have a new EP that people can get for free from Noisetrade. They are releasing a Christmas album later this year and a new album sometime in 2009.
Old 07-10-08, 06:05 AM

Wow this is great news. I am as far from being a "Christian" as you can get so they didn't appeal to me in that sense. However, I love Slocums' songwriting/guitar playing combined with Leigh's angelic voice. I thought that Divine Discontent was by far their strongest album, despite being a commercial flop, and was very sad that they broke up after that. I used the song "A Million Parachutes" for a family reunion video I made and it made everyone cry who watched/heard it. Leighs' solo album is pretty good, as is the project she did with Fauxliage. Far too many people think this band was all "Kiss Me", which I can understand because of all the airplay it got. But when you delve deeper you can definately gain an appreciation for their music like I did.
Old 07-10-08, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dobby
Far too many people think this band was all "Kiss Me", which I can understand because of all the airplay it got. But when you delve deeper you can definately gain an appreciation for their music like I did.
They were clearly much more than "Kiss Me" for anyone who's dug into their tunes (I'm also not talking about the Christian content). I'd love to hear the new material.
Old 07-12-08, 07:05 PM

Who?
Old 07-12-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
If they release stuff that is similar to This Beautiful Mess, I'm in. If it's more like Kiss Me, then forget it.
Old 07-12-08, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If they release stuff that is similar to This Beautiful Mess, I'm in. If it's more like Kiss Me, then forget it.

This was what I was talking about
Old 07-13-08, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
And in a surprise, the core members of Sixpence None the Richer, Matt and Leigh, are back together writing music. They have a new EP that people can get for free from Noisetrade. They are releasing a Christmas album later this year and a new album sometime in 2009.
Downloaded and contributed! Thanks for this! I knew they got back together and were writing new music, but I didn't realize they already had an EP out. I'm excited to hear it. The Christmas album should also be really great. Leigh has such an amazing voice.
Old 07-13-08, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Feel like I have had this discussion before, but have you actually heard the self-titled album "Kiss Me" was on? The rest of the album is not nearly as "sweet" sounding and, frankly, is a notch above This Beautiful Mess in nearly all aspects.
Old 07-13-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Yep, I had the self-titled album when it came out. I didn't really like it. I don't even remember why, but I remember listening to it a few times and getting rid of it.
Old 07-13-08, 08:47 AM

what is this noisetrade download stuff?

what format, what bitrate and what encoder were used?

is it also available on cd? i hate when songs are only available in some crap lossy format.

edit:
got it. 192kbps cbr non-joint stereo mp3s encoded with itunes. welcome to world of ~1998 digital audio.

Last edited by Rubix; 07-13-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-13-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by comanche_doyle
Who?
thinkin' the same thing...hmm