Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Outkast: Album of the Year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do ya'll think? I knew from my first and second listen of this album it was the best of the year. Absolute classic, and it still holds up pretty damn well even after 100x of listening to it through.

Here's to Outkast and their incredible year....look forward to the new singles on the radio and their future work (which should be incredible again).
Old 02-09-04, 03:26 AM

Only 100x? I think I have you beat by 10x that. There are so many classics on that album.

"She lives in my Lap" is quite possibly even better than Hey Ya.
Old 02-09-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even their best of 2nd best album.

Actually, it's not even remotely an Outkast album.

It's two solo records packaged as a 2-disc.

Andre 3000 does not rap at all on Big Boi's disc, and only
3 times on his own Love Below side.

Still, they've been putting out great albums since 1994, so I'm happy for them getting recognition.

Outkast discography:

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (1994)
ATLiens (1996)
Aquemini (1998)
Stankonia (2000)
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)

throw in the greatest hits album and you're set.
Old 02-09-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
so....waitaminnit...

Stankonia isn't their FIRST albume..?
Old 02-09-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
so....waitaminnit...

Stankonia isn't their FIRST albume..?
ya, have you heard their big song Mrs. Jackson?
It's a classic...
Old 02-09-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Stank you very much.
Old 02-09-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For anyone that missed it, there's a great Robert Hilburn interview with Andre and Jack White in Sunday's LA Times. They are mutual admirerers of each others work and they discuss influences.
Old 02-09-04, 02:29 PM

After the first few listens, I loved Big Boi's disc, and hated Andre's other than Hey Ya! and Dracula's Wedding. Then I listened to it about 15 more times, and then Andre's about 100 more times alone, and now, it's pretty much the only CD I play on my computer. It just keeps getting better and better.
Old 02-09-04, 06:20 PM

"Absolute classic"

"Classic" means that it's something that will stand the test of time, such as Zeppelin, Floyd or Beethoven for that matter. Never thought I'd see the day where Outkast would produce something called "Classic". Well... actually I haven't since no one will remember this "classic" in 5 years.
Old 02-09-04, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
"Absolute classic"

"Classic" means that it's something that will stand the test of time, such as Zeppelin, Floyd or Beethoven for that matter. Never thought I'd see the day where Outkast would produce something called "Classic". Well... actually I haven't since no one will remember this "classic" in 5 years.
Totally agree, Outkast will release another CD riding on their newfound popularity [believe me, they are way more popular now than ever before...] and Grammy nominations. There is no way this album would become a mainstay on radio, playlists, top ten lists, etc..it'll just get replaced with a new breakout hit.. Not trying to "threadcrap" or anything, but calling this 'classic" is like calling Nelly.."hot In Here" or Chingy "Right Thurrrrr" "classic".
Old 02-09-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sararekuforever
Not trying to "threadcrap" or anything, but calling this 'classic" is like calling Nelly.."hot In Here" or Chingy "Right Thurrrrr" "classic".
You pretty much killed your chances of anyone taking you seriously by mentioning Chingy and Nelly in the same breath as Outkast.

And yes, Outkast is at their peak popularity, but they've always been popular to some extent, going all the way back to when they released their first cd.

It's not like this popularity is completely new to them.
Old 02-09-04, 07:08 PM

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Hot in Here & Right Thurrrrr are absolute clubbin classics imo.....
The kind you get freaky and grindin' with the ladeyss he he.
Old 02-09-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by the aftermath
You pretty much killed your chances of anyone taking you seriously by mentioning Chingy and Nelly in the same breath as Outkast.

And yes, Outkast is at their peak popularity, but they've always been popular to some extent, going all the way back to when they released their first cd.

It's not like this popularity is completely new to them.

I agree 100%. They will be here for a long time. The first cd is ten years old and it still is as good as when it came out.
Old 02-09-04, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
Please tell me the difference between Hot in Here and Right Thurr and Hey Ya. They all use repeated sample loops, they all have rather simplistic lyrics, and they all get heavy club rotation.
The only difference is that Andre sings off key throughout the song, switching back and forth between rapping/talking and off key singing. I actually have the sheet music to "Hey Ya", since some people wanted it played at a very small informal show. I also bought the instrumental to compare. Mixing a few guitar chords with preprogrammed beats is not genius. I have no problem with people saying this stuff is good club music, or good party music or even catchy pop music, but "classic" or up there with the gods, that's something else...
Old 02-09-04, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Mistafadedglory
"Absolute classic"

Kind of like how no one rembmers "Mrs. Jackson," "ATLiens", "Elevators," or "Player's Ball (10 years later)"...

However I was not even referring to "Hey Ya" when I spoke of classics, although I'm sure it will be rememberd in 5 years time. To suggest not is simply rediculous.

Last edited by agent2099; 02-09-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 09:31 PM

If all a song has to do in order to be a "classic" is be remembered in 5 years time, then Smashmouth's "Allstar" and "Walking on the Sun" are sure to be (already are?) classics.

Plus, just because you can't see yourself listening to this album in 10 years doesn't mean that there'll be a whole lot of other people who'll still be listening to it.

Last edited by beefjerky; 02-09-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please tell me the difference between Hot in Here and Right Thurr and Hey Ya.
Hey Ya is actually a good song, that's more original in sound than most everything that's come out of hiphop/the whole damn music industry in years.

How about you tell me how you can lump in Nelly, Chingy and Outkast in the same category all by one song. What? Because they're popular? So were the Beatles...
Old 02-10-04, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by beefjerky
If all a song has to do in order to be a "classic" is be remembered in 5 years time, then Smashmouth's "Allstar" and "Walking on the Sun" are sure to be (already are?) classics.
Please tell me where I said that every song that could be remembered in 5 yeas was a classic.

Mistafadedglory, lets see you list some songs that came out in the last decade, that you consider classics.
Old 02-10-04, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Please tell me the difference between Hot in Here and Right Thurr and Hey Ya. They all use repeated sample loops, they all have rather simplistic lyrics, and they all get heavy club rotation.
The only difference is that Andre sings off key throughout the song, switching back and forth between rapping/talking and off key singing. I actually have the sheet music to "Hey Ya", since some people wanted it played at a very small informal show. I also bought the instrumental to compare. Mixing a few guitar chords with preprogrammed beats is not genius. I have no problem with people saying this stuff is good club music, or good party music or even catchy pop music, but "classic" or up there with the gods, that's something else...

One of them is a good song.
Old 02-10-04, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every cd they've put out has at least gone platinum.
Old 02-10-04, 05:13 AM
Banned

One main difference is Hey Ya is essentially a rock song and the other two are rap songs. What rock artist is going to start recording rap any time soon, and do it well? So it's impressive that Andre 3000 can be a part of platinum hip-hop records, then come out with something that crosses genres like this. Not to mention that Hey Ya is probably one of the weaker songs on the album. Have you even heard the rest of it?

And pretty much all rap songs use "repeated sample loops." If you think people claim genius in rap songs due to the beats and samples, you have no clue what rap is really about.

And if this song is so simplisitic, I challenge you to come up with a song that's as catchy without sounding like a complete doofus. I mean, you have the sheet music and all, so writing a song like Hey Ya must be child's play for an accomplished musician such as yourself..

Big Boi and Andre 3000 have some of the best rhymes and beats out there...this is easily the best mainstream album of the year. Classic? Maybe..a case can be made. But this album will definitely be a really solid piece of work for years and years to come.

Last edited by CUBuffsMike41; 02-10-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-10-04, 07:47 AM
Banned

This double album is good but Outkast have done much better in the past. The lyrics on both Speakerboxxx and Love Below are weak compared to past efforts and they both contain plenty of filler. If you want to hear Outkast at their PEAK then stick with ATliens and Aquemini(their best album.)
Old 02-10-04, 12:38 PM

Wow Chingy and Outkast in the same sentence. Good one.
Old 02-11-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Am I the only one who looks at Andre 3000 and thinks "His act was much better 20 years ago when George Clinton and Parliament was doing it"?

(Yes, I know I'm gonna be accused of threadcrapping, but all I see is a band with a lead singer that dresses in freaky clothes, a band that plays R&B/Funk music, talks about aliens and lovin, and I think "Parliament". Am I wrong??)

-Jason
Old 02-11-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fuzzbox
Am I the only one who looks at Andre 3000 and thinks "His act was much better 20 years ago when George Clinton and Parliament was doing it"?

(Yes, I know I'm gonna be accused of threadcrapping, but all I see is a band with a lead singer that dresses in freaky clothes, a band that plays R&B/Funk music, talks about aliens and lovin, and I think "Parliament". Am I wrong??)

-Jason
Nope, I would say that Andre is definitely copying off of George Clinton and Prince at different times. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, since their music is much better than most of the (c)rap out today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.