Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

List your Good current Rap/Hip Hop here!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

List your Good current Rap/Hip Hop here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aesop Rock and Kanye West are amazing.
Old 04-14-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Madvillian, Madvilliany -- this totally lives up to the hype.

Also, I'm nearly fainting at the to be released Prince Po album produced by Danger Mouse. Guesting MF Doom AND Jemini.
Old 05-06-04, 04:36 PM

I suggest anyone that is into rap to check out these new albums:
Illogic - Celestial Clockwork
Brother Ali - Champion EP
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Murs - Murs 3:16
Cryptic One - Anti Mobius Strip Theory
Old 05-06-04, 06:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

just kanye west.

great writer, great songs.

a very enjoyable listen, but a lot of the skits could be cut down. sorta cuts on the flow of the musci.
Old 05-07-04, 09:12 AM

I love the new Roots single.

Also, I was at the okayplayer tour in Philly in December of 03. Got to see the Roots, Jean Grae, Aseop Rock, Skillz, Little Brother, Mr. Lif & others. J-Live was there, but he was sick & by the end of his first song, he could barely speak above a whisper. Still, awesome show. And the okayplayer tour is going around again this month (May 2004). The main people are the Roots, Skillz, Jean Grae & Martin Luther, with guests in certain cities (http://www.okayplayer.com/events/okayplayertour/). Also, there's an okayplayer CD coming out on 5/18 (http://records.okayplayer.com/) with some people who had been already mentioned in this thread.

And "Original Pirate Material" is still one of my favorite CDs. New CD from The Streets on 5/10.
Old 05-07-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am bumping Godlovesugly again by Atmosphere.
Old 05-07-04, 11:38 AM
Cool New Member

Some of the best rappers are moving quickly to the mainstream ears. I'm talking about Talib Kweli and Common Sense. These 2 have been at it for a few years and are really good. They are about to blow up(hopefully they do not sell out, even though if you listen to them they can't stop rapping about how they never would). These 2 are getting popular firstly from Kanye West, one of the best new producers out now. Kanye has featured them o nhis album and has worked with Kweli on his last and current album, and is working on Common's new one too. Another factor of them getting known is through Dave Chappelle. Kweli has been the musical guest a few times now, and Chappelle is always on his records. But he had Common on too in the 2nd season, giving him more exposure. Maybe we can get some mainstream artists with powerful lyrics too.
Old 05-07-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Murs, Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition

released by def jux this year and produced by 9th wonder, best known for "threat" on jay z's black album and little brother (whose 2003 album, the listening, is also v. good). He tosses off lines like, "i'm more coldplay than i am ice-t," (so how can you not love him?) and then raps about shooting some guy in the face. talk about breadth!
Old 05-08-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Murs album is great, he raps about everything. Great story teller. If you like that you should pick up Felt W/ Slug and Murs.

I just ahold of the Brother Ali: Champion EP. It is fantastic: GET THAT!
Old 05-08-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kevinbud62583
Some of the best rappers are moving quickly to the mainstream ears. I'm talking about Talib Kweli and Common Sense. These 2 have been at it for a few years and are really good. They are about to blow up(hopefully they do not sell out, even though if you listen to them they can't stop rapping about how they never would). These 2 are getting popular firstly from Kanye West, one of the best new producers out now. Kanye has featured them o nhis album and has worked with Kweli on his last and current album, and is working on Common's new one too. Another factor of them getting known is through Dave Chappelle. Kweli has been the musical guest a few times now, and Chappelle is always on his records. But he had Common on too in the 2nd season, giving him more exposure. Maybe we can get some mainstream artists with powerful lyrics too.
Common just comming up & becoming popular because of Kayne? Where have you been for the past 12 years.