Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else floored by Cash's version of Hurt?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is anyone else floored by Cash's version of Hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Flashback
No problem if you did not like it but to say the cover sucked (even thought the original writer and many, many others say otherwise) and Cash sucks ... is utter nonsense
Nonsense? Again, isn't this just a matter of opinion? Must everyone love Johnny Cash?

A better discussion would center around the fact that EVERYBODY loves Johnny Cash now that he has passed on. Where were all these fans ten years ago when he needed them?
Old 01-27-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jay77
Nonsense? Again, isn't this just a matter of opinion? Must everyone love Johnny Cash?

A better discussion would center around the fact that EVERYBODY loves Johnny Cash now that he has passed on. Where were all these fans ten years ago when he needed them?
They were there 10 years ago (but I would guess you have no concept of who Cash is) and this cover was big before he passed away.

An opinion to say you don't like it is one thing... to say it sucks and that Cash sucks is another and sounds like a thread crap to me.
Old 01-27-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It sucked, in my opinion. How many times do I have to add that "in my opinion" before some of you realize it is words also and need to be read with the rest of the sentence? Trent Reznor liked it? Good for him. Did I? No. You liked it? Good for you. Did I? NO!
Get a grip people and I never said Cash sucked. I said he went out on a piss-poor note and I maintain that. I love how words are twisted in a thread, then someone else reads it and picks up the whole "he said CASH SUCKED" bullsh!t.
Old 01-27-04, 07:34 PM

Personally, I think its absolutely god awful...

and I like Johnny Cash..
Old 01-27-04, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
I did haha, thanks. Sounds like you were around way back in the day though. I didn't get into NIN until right before The Downward Spiral came out. I don't listen to industrial though, and don't really consider nine inch nails industrial, so I have a different approach.
OT
Yeah Downward Spiral was the last album of NIN I bought actually, was into them since Pretty Hate, I just tired of them by that time. I will still every now and then put something on but not very often at all. Back then there was more people considering them industrial, I think things have changed since then, people seem to distance NIN from that genre...or atleast put it into a different variation of the genre.
/OT

I will have to agree with the others in this thread, some people just won't like it better than the original. And just because Trent Reznor says it is good doesn't mean it is. It is all a matter of PERSONAL TASTE and OPINION.
Old 01-27-04, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
OT

I will have to agree with the others in this thread, some people just won't like it better than the original. And just because Trent Reznor says it is good doesn't mean it is. It is all a matter of PERSONAL TASTE and OPINION.
This man got the point.
THANK YOU.
Old 01-27-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Gotta agree with Flashback there. Fans were there 10 years ago, as that's when he first partnered with Rick Rubin, who did a great job of exposing him to a new audience. I know that's when I discovered him. It'd be more accurate to say "where were his fans in the '80s?"

And it wouldn't be a Cash thread without the best Grammy ad ever:

Old 01-28-04, 01:24 AM

True. I did mean in the eighties. Man, I'm getting old.

Damn, I love that poster though.
Old 01-28-04, 08:24 AM

(but I would guess you have no concept of who Cash is)
Good guess. You be the smartest Johnny Cash expert in the world!
Old 01-28-04, 09:24 AM
Retired

Originally posted by leepyswetr
There's no question it's better than the original.
I disagree.

The Video is super powerful, but I really don't like the song to just listen to it minus the video.

Cash's voice was pretty shot and the songs just bland without the video.

In the video, his voice, along with how unhealthy he looks, ads to the sad lyrics and imagery and is incredibly powerful.

Put just listening to it, it's just one of my favorite NIN songs being sung by an old man who's voice was nearly shot.
Old 01-28-04, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I disagree.

The Video is super powerful, but I really don't like the song to just listen to it minus the video.

In the video, his voice, along with how unhealthy he looks, ads to the sad lyrics and imagery and is incredibly powerful.

Put just listening to it, it's just one of my favorite NIN songs being sung by an old man who's voice was nearly shot.
Exactly. Cash's voice done nothing for me on his cover of 'Hurt' it just came off as downright boring. Yes, the video was powerful and depressing, but so was NiN's version. Difference is, I can just sit down and listen to the original without being bored to tears.
Old 01-28-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree.

And that is an opinion that I can agree with, only on the fact it has an opinion and a reason beside it 'sucks' and Cash 'sucks'.

And jay77 - never said I was an expert....
Old 01-28-04, 12:23 PM

being sung by an old man who's voice was nearly shot.
For me, that is what sold me on the song. I think it says a lot more with someone older singing it. And his voice just added so much more emotion in it IMO.

Of course, I have been known to like bands with lead singers who probably shouldn't being singing. So YMMV.
Old 01-28-04, 12:57 PM
Retired

For me, that is what sold me on the song. I think it says a lot more with someone older singing it. And his voice just added so much more emotion in it IMO.
Like I said I thought it added a lot when paired with the visuals in the video, but it just killed the song for me when just listening to it by itself.

Of course, I have been known to like bands with lead singers who probably shouldn't being singing. So YMMV.
That's understandable. I'm exactly the opposite though, most of the time anyway.
Old 01-28-04, 01:27 PM

And that is an opinion that I can agree with, only on the fact it has an opinion and a reason beside it 'sucks' and Cash 'sucks'.

And jay77 - never said I was an expert....
Yea...I know. Just playing devil's advocate and causing trouble. Like everybody else, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I guess I just need to learn to throw in a smilie every now and then.

Also, lets remember that no one in this thread ever said that Cash 'sucks'. I have no idea where that came from.
Old 01-28-04, 01:32 PM

Like I said I thought it added a lot when paired with the visuals in the video, but it just killed the song for me when just listening to it by itself.
The video for me just heightened it, made it that much better.
Old 01-28-04, 06:11 PM

Yea...I know. Just playing devil's advocate and causing trouble. Like everybody else, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I guess I just need to learn to throw in a smilie every now and then.

Also, lets remember that no one in this thread ever said that Cash 'sucks'. I have no idea where that came from.
Exactly. No one ever said that Cash 'sucked' all that I ever said was that I thought his cover of "Hurt" sucked and somehow that was twisted into me saying Cash 'sucked'.
Old 01-28-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, some people here are pretty touchy just because someone didn't like the song. I prefer the original as well.
Old 01-28-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the video more than the song.
Old 01-29-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I prefer the Johnny Cash version. I think the fact that his voice was kinda shot adds to it. It's not his best song ever, though; not by a longshot.
Old 01-29-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hurt has probably moved into the spot of my favorite Cash song. Just an amazing song.
Old 01-29-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
Gotta agree with Flashback there. Fans were there 10 years ago, as that's when he first partnered with Rick Rubin, who did a great job of exposing him to a new audience. I know that's when I discovered him. It'd be more accurate to say "where were his fans in the '80s?"

And it wouldn't be a Cash thread without the best Grammy ad ever:

That photo is hanging at the bottom of the staircase at the Hard Rock Cafe in Austin in case anyone cares.