Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which band would have been greater if it had stayed together:GUNS n ROSES or NIRVANA?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Which could have been a better band?
Nirvana
52.87%
Guns N Roses
21.84%
They both had reached their peaks, I wouldn't expect anything greater if they had stayed together.
24.14%
Other answer (please specify)
1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Which band would have been greater if it had stayed together:GUNS n ROSES or NIRVANA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a no brainer for me, I chose nirvana.

I would have to agree that nirvana's music is very simple, anyone that picks up a guitar or a bass can play there music as long as they have the tabs (for most songs, anyway), but that is what makes them so good. It is very hard to make a song with only a few chords stand out and sound incredible. The only band that i have heard since them that play that simple of music that i enjoy would be The White Stripes.
Old 01-26-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No brainer. Guns all the way.
Old 01-26-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another reason why Nirvana would be better: no keyboards.
Old 01-26-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No F'ing doubt - GUNS N' ROSES
Old 01-26-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take the best cd by both groups:

Nevermind or Appetite for Destuction.

IMO, Appetite is the cd you can listen too over and over while Nevermind is a once in a while cd.
Old 01-26-04, 10:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I think that Axl Rose's vocals ruined every GnR song ever made, so I'd easily go with Nirvana on this.

As for rocking out, I know I'll get flamed for this, but Iron Maiden rocked harder than GnR ever did. I'd take Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (their albums from 1986 and 1988, respectively) over GnR any day.
Old 01-27-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Personally, I think that Axl Rose's vocals ruined every GnR song ever made, so I'd easily go with Nirvana on this.

As for rocking out, I know I'll get flamed for this, but Iron Maiden rocked harder than GnR ever did. I'd take Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (their albums from 1986 and 1988, respectively) over GnR any day.
i don't intend to flame you as i'm a HUGE iron maiden fan myself but don't you think they are 2 different groups who write/ sing about different stuff?

i mean could you seriously imagine maiden writing & performing 'Paradise City' ? likewise i don't think GN'R would ever be able to write an album like Seventh Son of a Seventh Son... they just aren't into stuff like that...

as for vocal performances, i honestly think Axl & Bruce have 2 of the most distinctive voices in hard rock and heavy metal respectively... there's no need to diss that
Old 01-27-04, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a huge fan of the hair metal era, I never understood what made GnR so big, they were just a spin off band from L.A. Guns and L.A. Guns was way better. GnR was ok, but really no better or worse than Bang Tango or the Bulletboys.

If GnR had stayed together, I'm sure they would be doing those summer hair metal tours with Dokken, Slaughter and Warrant opening for Poison.

If Kurt hadn't of killed himself, Nirvana might still be around playing shows at the House of Blues at best... but I don't think they would be the legends they have become. Most likely they would have broken up around 98 and started other bands and did solo albums like most the other Grunge acts did.
Old 01-27-04, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by InnocentBlood
i don't intend to flame you as i'm a HUGE iron maiden fan myself but don't you think they are 2 different groups who write/ sing about different stuff?
Couldn't you say the same thing about Nirvana and GnR? I think Iron Maiden is more comparable to GnR, in that they both do heavy metal. Nirvana isn't particularly comparable to GnR except that they're both aggresive.

as for vocal performances, i honestly think Axl & Bruce have 2 of the most distinctive voices in hard rock and heavy metal respectively... there's no need to diss that
Axl is certainly distinctive, however, his voice grates on me. It is not to my taste at all. I think Slash and co. made some great music, but I can't listen to any of it due to Axl Rose. I'm not trying to diss him, per se, I'm simply stating my opinion that his voice is not one I would want to listen to.
Old 01-27-04, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Foo Fighters were not part of that Seattle explosion of the early 90's.
while technically they weren't, their original sound wasn't far off. a fair amount of the Foo demo/self-titled cd has a noticeable Nirvana sound which Dave thankfully got away from. certainly understandable being just a few months removed from his old band.

as for the question, i vote GnR as well. plus had Kurt not been a selfish bastard we wouldn't have one of my favorite bands right now, the aforementioned fighters of foo.
Old 01-27-04, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
while technically they weren't, their original sound wasn't far off. a fair amount of the Foo demo/self-titled cd has a noticeable Nirvana sound which Dave thankfully got away from. certainly understandable being just a few months removed from his old band.
I understand that, but thats not what I was saying. I was saying the Foo Fighters, as a band, were not part of the Seattle Explosion. They came afterwards. Thats all.